BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,850 Posts

I really like the idea, but my inner pessimist just can't see any headway being made towards any policy change that effectively gives the police 'less to do'. It's all very big business, after all.

Reactions: Pee Wee

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Excellent post Ian......finally someone who speaks my language.

I drove the whole long weekend to Osoyoos and back (big loop, #3 and back on #99), only place I saw police.....Whister to Lions Bay.....poaching traffic flows just like in the video.....all bull shit tickets.

Thanks for the vid, shared on facebook.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I like this.. too bad it will never happen because they are addicted to the revenue stream..

I want it to happen because it makes sense to set limits by this method.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Less conflict... Safer highways

Being safe doesn't make anyone any money

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
winter/summer limits as well as commercial/civilian limits on highways.
i'd say keep the speed limits the same, but on change those stupid electric signs that read "motorcyclists, you are all speed demons. we gonna get ya" to suggested speed (not limit) for conditions.

ie: ya driving to whistler. at the start of the 525 there is the big sign that you cannot possibly miss (unless you dont read english/french, in that case how the fuck did you pass the knowledge test???) that advises drivers to slow down to due to a lot of water on the highway/snow/ice/gusting winds/etc.

then driver can figure out, depending on vehicle and quipped tires, what is safer speed to go.

also, fucking BAN any commercial governed or GPS chipped traffic from the passing lane. have cvse fining the shit out those assholes who drag race loaded rigs.

·
15,773 Posts
mean to say keep them same winter and summer.

winter doesnt always mean 3 feet of snow/ice on the roads.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
well ideally it would be like france where the limits change for rain vs clear skies. our govt's too cheap to buy signage like that so a blanket change for winter conditions would be better than nothing. as it stands, i think our limits take into account all negative factors and that's how we get severely low limits.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
watched the video, enjoyed it, agreed with it, sent the email

·
15,773 Posts
well ideally it would be like france where the limits change for rain vs clear skies. our govt's too cheap to buy signage like that so a blanket change for winter conditions would be better than nothing. as it stands, i think our limits take into account all negative factors and that's how we get severely low limits.

that's the thing. they already dumped millions into those electric bill boards all over the place. problem is they use the for stupid shit.

lowest cost, less confusion would be to use those signs for slower advised speed notifications. i can decide if i need to slow down or not.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
you're talking like everyone around bc is a stellar driver with exemplary driving skills. fact is 98% of the drivers on bc roads have no fucking clue how to properly drive in city limits, let alone in adverse mountain conditions. our roads are challenging to most and that's one of the root causes of our speed limits being set so low. you might be decent on a bike for 6 months of the year but show me some skills over the passes in the dead of winter in white out conditions with 30 cm daily dumps. for the most part we are talking about highway speed limits here and not city streets. change the way people drive for conditions and you would see less statistics being used to counter the goal here of raising them. also bring back photo radar with warning signs and stop wasting manpower/resources handing out tickets, i'd rather see roaming traffic patrols targeting behaviour that actually kills instead of hiding in the bushes in known fishing spots to attain quotas.

·
15,773 Posts
i also know my and my vehicle limitations and when to just stay home.

missed a few good snow days due to roads being a bit too sketchy for my liking. got stuck up here on days off instead of driving to deadmonton a few times last winter.

could i have made it? sure. 05 grand cherokee, dedicated nokian winter tires would do the job at the reduced speed. could cruise 80-90kph all day long. it's the other idiots im worried about crossing the line doing 150 in a pick up with mud tires on. or knobs in loaded rigs sliding all over the place.

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
I love how the forest service roads around Mt. St Helens are listed at 55MPH (90km/h). In most corners, you can't see 50 yards up the road for the trees and shit creeping onto the roadway. Tight twisty dark roads with blind corners, frost heaves etc.....but here if you do 55MPH at Lions Bay, which is basically open and fairly straight, you're 10 km/h from walking home 3 grand lighter.

Will watch the vid tonight, but by the sounds of it, it's spot on.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts