BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a surprise to us as well. I was made aware of the new limits at a near fatal collision last night about this. If you think about it, people going thru heavy traffic from Whatcom Rd east on Hwy 1 would be going at least 151 km/hr before looking at an impound. Out on Hwy 5? Over 160 km/hr. Think about the soccer mom in the Grand Caravan, the salesman in the Camry, the guy in the lifted Dodge pickup, the family rushing to the Okanagan for vacation. Hurtling towards you as they are distracted by kids, order forms, hockey games or whatever ...... and there was no shortage of them driving like that. Because what is the worse that would happen? A $196 ticket? Well don't fret too much. It looks like you can still fly down the Coq at 160 km/hr and face little consequences.

Who do you know that is capable of cruising thru Hwy 5 at 100 MPH/160 km/hr?

Thoughts? Opinions?

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-government-to-roll-back-speed-limit-hikes-by-former-liberal-government

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bogus. Drive to the conditions or the vehicles ability. But we all need to pay because someone is a crap inattentive driver or driving some incapable vehicle? *I'm fed up with the campaign against speed. That's my own personal opinion on it. Pissed right off about the state of our speed limits and enforcement for breaking the 40kmph over limit. Even below that it's not just a 196$ ticket it's points and driver premiums and crap like that too.*

You asked right? *I am not happy with the speed limits anywhere I go as it is, so I am certainly not for any sort of decrease. *

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Speed limits are a joke for most folk. Every time an asshat blows by me at high speed in heavy traffic I pray I see his car/truck getting loaded on a tow truck down the way. It never freaking happens!!

The lower mainland is the worst.. It's the wild west. Everytime I go down there some idiot or idiots are filtering at high speed, cutting people off, and generally causing mayhem. Lifted trucks, beemers, and high end Japanese cars usually. Don't drive the speed limit if you don't wanna get run down from behind. I got to go back down there soon ...groan. There must be hundreds more accidents there than the rest of BC combined.

I don't see a problem with speed on the Coq so much in good weather. Traffic is lighter and there's no corners. It's the numb nuts who won't slow down in bad conditions.

Where I see the very worst of drivers is in towns and cities. There you have the lifted trucks again, soccer moms, women in pricey suvs, and distracted drivers galore. I had a young lady follow me a couple weeks ago. She couldn't keep her eyes off her phone. I yelled at her at a stop sign to put the phone down and, naturally, I get mouthed obcenities back.

In my opinion its the lack of enforcement where and when we really need enforcement. I take a Sunday morning ride out into the boonies and who do I see? A cop. Why the hell isn't he in town writing tickets where its needed most?

Speed reported as the number one cause of accidents? 1 kph over is speeding by definition. Who knows how they acquire their statistics. There's a lot of drivers out there who have 0 respect and 0 give-a-shit and they get away with murder.

It's not the speeding its bad driving.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I guess until drivers magically feel like driving better, enforcement will be the answer.*This is why we can't have nice things.

The part of me that took a bit of statistics wonders on results like this. Were they weighted for seasonal weather and the overall number of cars? Is the speed increase the causation or just correlation? How are crash stats on other roads that didn't have increased speed limits? I have a hard time believing that 10kph alone was enough to double crash rates.*

Regardless, it makes a good headline, which is really all that matters anymore. *

·
lover of twins
6,068 Posts
The simple solution is to change the driver's license test to be far more comprehensive. Change it to be a real world skills test that includes decision making instead of the joke that it currently is. Make EVERYONE who has a license come in to do the test. Have mandatory retesting including eye exams, reaction time and decision making tests that start at say 45 yrs old and happen every 1-3 years after depending on one's age. If it's difficult to get and maintain a license then people may start to respect the privilege of operating a motor vehicle instead of treating it like an entitlement. It will also quickly weed out the people who are not competent enough to be operating a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Simple to say... not simple to do.*
I agree, we should have to retest every 5 years. It’s absurd that the most dangerous thing most of us do (in terms of possibility of death or injury) is treated so casually.

I had a work certification which expired every 5 years, the retest could be bypassed if enough points had been accrued through work or training. Good thing was you could only get enough points by doing training (work points were capped), which encouraged people to keep upgrading their knowledge and skills. *Same thing could work well for driving.

Unfortunately those who could make that happen want to get re-elected. *

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Exceeding posted speed limits contribute only 2% of contributing factors. This is clearly a revenue generating move. Pitiful, even bigger reason to street ride in the USA.

The Transportation Minister is some hillbilly from some up-island hick town.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
It was a surprise to us as well. I was made aware of the new limits at a near fatal collision last night about this. If you think about it, people going thru heavy traffic from Whatcom Rd east on Hwy 1 would be going at least 151 km/hr before looking at an impound. Out on Hwy 5? Over 160 km/hr. Think about the soccer mom in the Grand Caravan, the salesman in the Camry, the guy in the lifted Dodge pickup, the family rushing to the Okanagan for vacation. Hurtling towards you as they are distracted by kids, order forms, hockey games or whatever ...... and there was no shortage of them driving like that. Because what is the worse that would happen? A $196 ticket? Well don't fret too much. It looks like you can still fly down the Coq at 160 km/hr and face little consequences.

Who do you know that is capable of cruising thru Hwy 5 at 100 MPH/160 km/hr?

Thoughts? Opinions?

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-government-to-roll-back-speed-limit-hikes-by-former-liberal-government
I looked at a lot of the roads around me that had the limits reduced. They are narrow twisty 2 or 3 lane ones that see a lot of truck and tourist traffic. Locally there have been a lot of issues with Semis verging into incoming traffic. Whether it's speed, or lack of driving ability, or too many vehicles trying to fit a road that wasn't built for that volume or combination of these.

I don't think speed is the issue. I think it's purely down to the infrastructure not being able to carry the peak load.

·
How to ride
1,169 Posts
Highway 3: Sunday Summit to Princeton — 90 km/h to 80 km/h

Seems to me, this is the section where cellphone zombies finally start getting reception after Manning Park.
As said, by others - speed is not the problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is kinda funny. It's one of the easiest sections of Highway 3. I ride/drive that highway 10 - 15× a year from New West to Christina Lake. Generally speaking, the government is unable to make intelligent decisions based on input. They are paralyzed by political considerations that make them simply incapable of making decisons that would actually be effective.

Life goes on...

The best decision would be various forms of licensing. Have 2 rear end accidents in 4 years? You're on the Skytrain. Speed all the time in town? Can't drive more than 1000km in a month. Ration the people based on their ability.

It will never happen.

I agree with Sikorsky that people from Whatcom to Hope were outa control. The defacto speed limit had become 130.

·
Registered Luser
2,113 Posts
Well, they say the adjustments, or lack thereof, were based on accident data.
So, I guess pretty much all of those people you mentioned are capable of safely doin a ton on the coq.

Honestly, in any modern, well maintained vehicle, an experienced driver should be comfy averaging 140-150 on the coq. touching 160-170 on the straight downhills. On that particular road, in perfect conditions, I wouldn’t consider those speeds to be asshatery.*

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I guess now is the time to say "show me the data".

What kind of accidents are they? What kind of vehicle is it? What time of day and year? What was the weather like?

I think this calls for an expansion of variable speed limits combined with draconian enforcemetn of keep left except to pass. Towing that trailer on your minivan? You're at 110 and in the slow lane till you get to where you're headed. Commercial vehicles? GTFO out of the HOV lanes and no slow races up mountain passes.

And let's not even start on those lifted trucks and the way their bumpers will override other vehicles on the roads. How are those things even legal? Why aren't they getting yanked off the street with fix-it tickets?

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The simple solution is to change the driver's license test to be far more comprehensive. Change it to be a real world skills test that includes decision making. Make EVERYONE who has a license come in to do the test. Have mandatory retesting including eye exams, reaction time and decision making tests that start at say 45 yrs old and happen every 1-3 years after depending on one's age. If it's difficult to get and maintain a license then people may start to respect the privilege of operating a motor vehicle instead of treating it like an entitlement. It will also quickly weed out the people who are not competent enough to be operating a motor vehicle.
This is something I could get behind. I would dread the tests because who in their right mind likes them. But it is something that could help.

However this would require a complete shift in modern BC society as to how we think. I cannot see it ever. As much as it could help, I could not see the politicians standing up to their various constituencies and those blocks of voters that would scream blue murder about this.

·
lover of twins
6,068 Posts
However this would require a complete shift in modern BC society as to how we think. I cannot see it ever. As much as it could help, I could not see the politicians standing up to their various constituencies and those blocks of voters that would scream blue murder about this.
This is the problem with our political system and why significant beneficial change rarely happens. The people are too stupid to see what will benefit them in the long run and are only interested in avoiding pain in the short run. As a result politicians primarily focus their energy on doing what they need to do to get re-elected or doing everything they can get away with just up to the point of seriously pissing off their supporters.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This is the problem with our political system and why significant beneficial change rarely happens. The people are too stupid to see what will benefit them in the long run and are only interested in avoiding pain in the short run. As a result politicians primarily focus their energy on doing what they need to do to get re-elected or doing everything they can get away with just up to the point of seriously pissing off their supporters.
Well said and bang on.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,791 Posts
It's high time for physics-based rulesets;
why not speed limits based on vehicle weight classes?;

semi trucks: -20kph
diesel 'testicle trucks': -15kph
moms mid-sized minivan: -10kph
standard coupe: ~standard limit~
modern tesla/sports car: +10kph
sportbikes +20kph

-autonomous vehicles in autonomous lanes: +80 ~ +180kph

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts

sportbikes +20kph

A good plan but first you're going to have to grant the right to vote to autonomous cars.

·
lover of twins
6,068 Posts

sportbikes with BCSB sticker +100kph

fixed :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
it's definitely too easy to get a license and many vehicles would never pass a real CVI ..... both could be awesome revenue sources and create a better driving environment.
AND I have no idea why regular retesting is not already mandatory for professional drivers ?? seriously WTF !

a well trained driver will understand the limits of their vehicle, their current environment and the road ahead which is what we need :D

·
Registered Luser
2,113 Posts
So I got a question for any police knowledge types:
When you spot a speed trap, should you bang on the brakes to at least let the cop know you’re half aware, or should you do the stealth slowdown?
I go for the brake jab currently.*

1 - 20 of 85 Posts