BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Classic Dale Carnegie right there.
depends on how you take it really, if you consider yourself to be fair and thoughtful instead of following the lowest common denominator
then I dont see how it makes a difference on how others behave. It generally comes down to "one bad apple spoils the bunch"

I specifically said it was very, very, very rare.. exceptions do exist i suppose. Personal experience since the whole 40+ fiasco got started has proven me wrong

power corrupts, absolute power corrupts "absolutely" :tredmill

I could go into details but i really dont see a point in doing so.. Public forum means everybody gets to have an opinion, including wrong ones.
I meant no disrespect to anybody particularly on this forum per-se, but i'm also not gonna sugar-coat it just so folks can feel warm and fuzzy about themselves.

i've never had a problem with Sikorsky personally, and dont think i've ever met him on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I dunno. Every LEO I've met roadside has been pretty decent. But any speed tickets I've received have been honestly earned and I'm not a prick about it.* Even the officers pulling me for a MC license check have been approaching apologetic.
Public forum means everybody gets to have an opinion, including wrong ones.
Opinions aren't facts, they aren't right or wrong. But that's just my opinion*:laughing

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Opinions aren't facts, they aren't right or wrong. But that's just my opinion*:laughing
:coffee :laughing

I tend to get tired of typing, meant in the sense that folks love to run away with a thought
and respond without having all, hell sometimes ANY of the facts. As a result i dont feel the need
to start a shit-show on unrelated manners..

but the comment posted, had little to do with discussing matters of weather or not a TICKET was issued, neither was it DESERVED or NOT!

it was purely as a response to the idea that we as the general population have an opinion of most LEO's attitudes out on the road.
the funny bit to me is that at least at one time or another we have all been given the 10 page sermon about how we're all out there up to no good.

meaning, it seems they also have the same idea about the rest of us!! we are all speed demons out looking to kill ourselves

i dont know about you, but i like to set the cruise control at or just below/above the speed limit and get home in one piece :flip

mind you i'm also watching Smokey and The Bandit on the PVR so i guess the jury is still out
:laughing

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speed limits are a joke for most folk. Every time an asshat blows by me at high speed in heavy traffic I pray I see his car/truck getting loaded on a tow truck down the way. It never freaking happens!!

The lower mainland is the worst.. It's the wild west. Everytime I go down there some idiot or idiots are filtering at high speed, cutting people off, and generally causing mayhem. Lifted trucks, beemers, and high end Japanese cars usually. Don't drive the speed limit if you don't wanna get run down from behind. I got to go back down there soon ...groan. There must be hundreds more accidents there than the rest of BC combined.

I don't see a problem with speed on the Coq so much in good weather. Traffic is lighter and there's no corners. It's the numb nuts who won't slow down in bad conditions.

Where I see the very worst of drivers is in towns and cities. There you have the lifted trucks again, soccer moms, women in pricey suvs, and distracted drivers galore. I had a young lady follow me a couple weeks ago. She couldn't keep her eyes off her phone. I yelled at her at a stop sign to put the phone down and, naturally, I get mouthed obcenities back.

In my opinion its the lack of enforcement where and when we really need enforcement. I take a Sunday morning ride out into the boonies and who do I see? A cop. Why the hell isn't he in town writing tickets where its needed most?

Speed reported as the number one cause of accidents? 1 kph over is speeding by definition. Who knows how they acquire their statistics. There's a lot of drivers out there who have 0 respect and 0 give-a-shit and they get away with murder.

It's not the speeding its bad driving.
That statistic is gathered by ICBC from reports prepared by police investigating collisions and is bent, stretched and manipulated far beyond what it really mean when used by the police investigating the collision in the first place. It is a disgrace how the government agencies and ICBC misuse stats to feed their opinions.

You are very correct with your point about 1 km over the posted limit being speeding. Truthfully, it is not "Speeding" as the large contributing factor. It is "Speed" That is usually combined with other factors, most often road, weather and visibility conditions. Of course impairment and distracted driving are also combined with this. "Speed" can be a contributing factor even though the vehicle is doing under the speed limit.

So to jump on the band wagon and start hammering people for exceeding the speed limit because ICBC or a government ministry says too many collisions are being cause by speed in simply wrong. Traffic enforcement needs to be focused on what history has shown to be the real cause of collisions in a particular area and focus enforcement tactics on those factors. Most often, by my experience, it has been erratic driving, drive without due care and attention, or reasonable care and consideration, distracted driving, follow too close, and the absolute largest factor in a metro environment, running yellow lights.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
That statistic is gathered by ICBC from reports prepared by police investigating collisions and is bent, stretched and manipulated far beyond what it really mean when used by the police investigating the collision in the first place. It is a disgrace how the government agencies and ICBC misuse stats to feed their opinions.

You are very correct with your point about 1 km over the posted limit being speeding. Truthfully, it is not "Speeding" as the large contributing factor. It is "Speed" That is usually combined with other factors, most often road, weather and visibility conditions. Of course impairment and distracted driving are also combined with this. "Speed" can be a contributing factor even though the vehicle is doing under the speed limit.

So to jump on the band wagon and start hammering people for exceeding the speed limit because ICBC or a government ministry says too many collisions are being cause by speed in simply wrong. Traffic enforcement needs to be focused on what history has shown to be the real cause of collisions in a particular area and focus enforcement tactics on those factors. Most often, by my experience, it has been erratic driving, drive without due care and attention, or reasonable care and consideration, distracted driving, follow too close, and the absolute largest factor in a metro environment, running yellow lights.

I rode the bike to Cycle Gear in Bellingham yesterday. The assistant manager there, who knows I live in Metro Van, mentioned he had driven to Whistler with his wife a month ago, and had almost been taken out 3 times between North Van and Squamish. I apologized, and told him, IMO, that car/truck drivers in Vancouver area are the worst, by far, in the western world. He agreed. I told him other than commuting, I do most of my motorcycle pleasure riding in Washington state. He understood why.

·
lover of twins
6,068 Posts
I rode the bike to Cycle Gear in Bellingham yesterday. The assistant manager there, who knows I live in Metro Van, mentioned he had driven to Whistler with his wife a month ago, and had almost been taken out 3 times between North Van and Squamish. I apologized, and told him, IMO, that car/truck drivers in Vancouver area are the worst, by far, in the western world. He agreed. I told him other than commuting, I do most of my motorcycle pleasure riding in Washington state. He understood why.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You just had to go and poke the bear .....

·
lover of twins
6,068 Posts
anyways, it's time for the moment to pay respect to something much more important than laughs on the web

·
Registered Luser
2,113 Posts
99% ticket is just rude sikorsky.
i'm around 30% warning on about 10 dead to rights speeding interviews. That includes 2 excessives, so closer to 40% warning where officer discretion was an option..

Where is the rest of BCSB at?

it was hard to remember all of the roadside chats over the years. I wish icbc would show you lifetime achievement stats, but they only go back 5 years

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
99% ticket is just rude sikorsky.
i'm around 30% warning on about 10 dead to rights speeding interviews. That includes 2 excessives, so closer to 40% warning where officer discretion was an option..

Where is the rest of BCSB at?

it was hard to remember all of the roadside chats over the years. I wish icbc would show you lifetime achievement stats, but they only go back 5 years
That's 99% of the people I stop, not 99% of the infractions I see. If I stopped everyone breaking the law while driving, I would never make it more than 3 blocks from the Detachment! That's where the officer discretion comes in ....... you need to have raised a lot of concern in my eyes in order to get stopped.

·
lover of twins
6,068 Posts
you need to have raised a lot of concern in my eyes in order to get stopped.
having heard of Sikorsky's riding exploits I can say with confidence that this "level of concern" is rather high. high enough in fact that even steve should be able to limbo under that bar.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
having heard of Sikorsky's riding exploits I can say with confidence that this "level of concern" is rather high. high enough in fact that even steve should be able to limbo under that bar.
:laughing... i will not be taking up this challenge; but y'all should feel free, nay encouraged to take one for the team !! :coffee

41 - 60 of 85 Posts