1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
perhaps we need some actual freeways in Vancouver? So you know, we can get places across town without having to tear ass along surface streets.

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
Not sure why law enforcement officials seem to be attacted to donut establishments...

Some interesting historical info on the origin of the donuts may reveal the answer. Raided from Wikipedia:

"Doughnuts have a disputed history. One theory is that they were introduced into North America by Dutch settlers, who are responsible for popularizing other desserts, including cookies, cream pie, and cobbler.

Another story credits the invention of the doughnut hole to a Danish sea captain named Hanson Gregory. During a particularly violent storm, Gregory needed both hands free to man the wheel of his ship, and impaled a fried cake upon the wheel, creating the signature hole. The center of fried cakes were notorious for being undercooked, so the innovation stuck. By cooking fried cakes with the center hole, the surface area increased, and the doughnut cooked faster.

Another possible origin has the dessert's invention as part of the story of Hanukkah. Called sufganiyot, Jews make these pastries (and other oily foods like latkes) to remind them of the sacramental oil that was used to light the seven-branched Menorah in the Temple.

A romantic version says girls created them to give to Johnny Fry as he sped by during the Pony Express in 1860."

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah those krispy kreme's are some fugging goooood doughnuts

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
perhaps we need some actual freeways in Vancouver? So you know, we can get places across town without having to tear ass along surface streets.
Amen to that!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yah I got warned by a fellow rider, as I was briskly accelerating, to slow down on granville the other day, few blocks later I saw them hiding out.
though they werent focusing on the radar gun at all.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
+19567.2

Well you can't blame them, they have to pay for olympic cost overruns somehow.

G

·
Cops are on Granville St. Bridge late into the morning as well. The last couple of days I seen them out North bound about 7:00am, and Southbound about 10:00am. If on Granville, take it easy!!!

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
'21 Vulcan 900 Custom
2,236 Posts
+1

What other Canadian city do you know that doesn't have some sort of arterial road service to get you East-West, North-South? None that I can think of, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
We have more exits off the freeway into abbotsford then there is for Vancouver. That is sad. There is only three exits off the freeway into Vancouver and they all put you on the east side lol.

G

·
+1

What other Canadian city do you know that doesn't have some sort of arterial road service to get you East-West, North-South? None that I can think of, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
toronto has that if im not mistaken. their collector is 16 lanes wide and runs just south of the city stretching wider than the city itself. the dvp goes along the east side of the city from downtown toronto north for a little while. it also reaches highways to get to ottawa.

G

·
highway 401 is 16 lanes total, collectors and express lanes. it runs the north end of the city, east to west. highway 400 runs north from 401 into cottage country. the don valley parking lot (highway 404) runs from the gardiner expressway/qew on lakeshore north into cottage country. yonge street is the longest street in the world, running from lakeshore in toronto to manitoba. the 407 is a toll highway, running parallel to the 401. there are lesser queen's highways, like the 403, 427....

the 401 goes east to quebec, but highway 7 takes you east and west (ish) to windsor. the 400 is part of the trans canada highway, as is the 400, 7, and highway 69.

toronto's roads may not be twisty, but there are alternate ways to get to just about any place. i rarely took the highway from newmarket to markham for work; i took backroads that took me pretty much from my house straight to my workplace, with no traffic, in about half the time as driving to the highways. good old kennedy road!

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
'21 Vulcan 900 Custom
2,236 Posts
Yes they have the 401 East-West/#1 and various others running North-South, even Calgary has a better arterial road system then we do.

edit:
Doug gives a clearer description then I do. yep good old Kennedy Road. My Grandparents lived in Scarborough on Kennedy for most of my childhood.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts