BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Will wheelie 4 boobs!
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a speeding ticket last night. Its relatively small so it's not really a big deal, but the officer never asked me to sign the ticket. Can I use this to my advantage somehow???

G

·
there should be something along the lines of "signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt, merely that you have received the ticket" near where you should have signed.

doesn't get you off the ticket if you haven't signed. you can refuse to sign if the cop asks.. you still get the ticket.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Basically all they have to do is "serve" it to you. As soon as you take it from them you are considered "served". If you don't want to take it they like to do things like wrap it around your licence when they return your licence. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
you should never sign anything, period. There is NOTHING that they can say or do to force you to sign it. If they threaten you into signing the ticket, then what you need to do is sign it but with () around your name this basically says that it was signed under duress and in a court of law you signature is NOT there.

G

·
you should never sign anything, period. There is NOTHING that they can say or do to force you to sign it. If they threaten you into signing the ticket, then what you need to do is sign it but with () around your name this basically says that it was signed under duress and in a court of law you signature is NOT there.

and again, it doesn't matter if you sign or not. you still get the ticket.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
apparently now if you pay them within a certain amount of time the cost is like $25 less then normal. but yeah......no sig is needed to be served.

·
Registered
936 Posts
And which part of some legal document did you quote this from? :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
If they threaten you into signing the ticket, then what you need to do is sign it but with () around your name this basically says that it was signed under duress and in a court of law you signature is NOT there.
To be more precise, where did this legal advice come from? Do they teach this at law school or is it personal opinion?

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
suck it up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They should teach it in law, but they may not [] is more powerful but () is the same. Our Canadian law (as well as most countries) have alot of latin law in them, and this is in there, I know it is in one of the other pieces of legislation as well to verify that it is in there.

Now if I remember correctly as to its exact location it is in Blacks law dictionary, and what they teach you in Law school as for the definition of all words used in law you go first to the definitions section of the act, if not in there you then go to the Canadian law dictionary, if not there then you proceed to the blacks law dictionary. And I have yet to see an act that has [] or () defined.

·
Squidnator
260 Posts
hey

well in school they teach us to sign and then write MUD after ur signature if its made under duress

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
They should teach it in law, but they may not [] is more powerful but () is the same. Our Canadian law (as well as most countries) have alot of latin law in them, and this is in there, I know it is in one of the other pieces of legislation as well to verify that it is in there.

Now if I remember correctly as to its exact location it is in Blacks law dictionary, and what they teach you in Law school as for the definition of all words used in law you go first to the definitions section of the act, if not in there you then go to the Canadian law dictionary, if not there then you proceed to the blacks law dictionary. And I have yet to see an act that has [] or () defined.
wow, i learn something new every day ...

·
coco bongo
1,003 Posts
funny story i heard

guy went to the drunk tank. when in the tank, all his stuff is held for safekeeping. upon release, u have to sign for it.

the brilliant guy he is, refused to sign. so he didn't get his stuff. then he goes to the police to say they are stealing his stuff.

brilliant

·
Banned
569 Posts
Fight every ticket. Don't chicken out and be a weiner and pay the reduced (by only 25 freekin bucks) fine. Make the man work for it, go to court, plead not guilty and walk if the cop isn't there, or adjourn it if he is! Don't roll over and take it in the hoop! Speeding tickets are a crime!

·
Will wheelie 4 boobs!
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea I'm deffinately going to dispute it. I just wanted to know if not signing it could work to my advantage

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
Hah, it's so bad and so many people are going to flame it. But a small small part of my sub concious totally agrees with the disputing all tickets. Make the man work for it, if he really thinks it's valid the officer will show up in court when you dispute it... lol... such a bastard.

Like I said, only a small part agrees!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts