BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off from work and got a speeding ticket on HWY1 going eastbound just after the willingdon exit, the cop was in the right lane, I passed him in the HOV lane, I did brake before I passed him as I noticed him just as I was about to pass him...anyway he gives me a ticket I ask him what speed I was going he goes he doesn't know but that the speed limit is 80 in the area and that since I passed him I was doing more than that.....total dope...I have already disputed the ticket, Lloyd what's your opinion ? what shall I say in court,

I already made excuses like the sun was in my eyes couldn't see speedo - and you LOL - I just came off the top of a hill, was in top gear, wasn't even accelerating blah blah....gave me ticket for $115

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
That sucks man...you're right in disputing it Farhad.

I've never gotten a speeding ticket on my bike, only a bunch in my car. Well, except for that one I got on the island a couple weeks ago. I've always been luckier on two-wheels than four, I guess.

Did you ask the cop how fast he was going?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Say that "I sneezed" and it caused a sudden turn of the throttle..

It's an "act of god"... possibly your best bet. ;)

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
-traffic was moving slightly over and a guy was riding your ass, you were looking for an opening to get over
-you were in right lane but a car was spewing toxins and you couldn't see or breath, you were just overtaking him
-you were getting ahead of the pack a bit to give yourself some buffer zone as taught to you in your motorcycle safety course, would you like to phone and have words with my officially endorsed motorcycle instructor?

And definitely yeah, what speed was HE going. If he can't recall or prove it, can he give you a ticket based on relative speed AT ALL?

D

·
0 Posts
Mr. Murphy said:
And definitely yeah, what speed was HE going. If he can't recall or prove it, can he give you a ticket based on relative speed AT ALL?
doesn't matter what speed he was going. all he has to say that in his expert opinion you were exceeding the speed limit and you are toast. they are trained professionals remember?

but, show him a red car and a yellow car doing the speed limit one after the other and i bet he'll say the red car was faster.

F

·
0 Posts
doug said:

doesn't matter what speed he was going. all he has to say that in his expert opinion you were exceeding the speed limit and you are toast. they are trained professionals remember?

but, show him a red car and a yellow car doing the speed limit one after the other and i bet he'll say the red car was faster.
He'd be right, red cars are faster, heck they're almost as fast as black ones!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You should have said nothing and just signed for the ticket. Without a reading he has no evidence, but if you admitted that you were indeed speeding, he can enter your conversation as voir dire evidence. If you had not admitted it and disputed the ticket he would have had nothing on you and there would have been no case even if you were doing 200km/h. An opinion is not evidence, there has to be proof.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hu99 said:
You should have said nothing and just signed for the ticket. Without a reading he has no evidence, but if you admitted that you were indeed speeding, he can enter your conversation as voir dire evidence. If you had not admitted it and disputed the ticket he would have had nothing on you and there would have been no case even if you were doing 200km/h. An opinion is not evidence, there has to be proof.

Well I didn't tell him anything, I didn't admit that I was speeding, he asked me what speed I was going at and I said I don't know, the sun was in my eyes blah blah blah....

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah it's best to say nothing and just accept the ticket and go. and once you dispute it you have over a year and a half to think about what to say since that's how court dates are backed up. the last time i disputed a ticket i challenge the technicality of the radar by asking to review all calibration records of the device and the tolerance. i made the cop talkless but the judge didn't buy it so still no luck. well, don't know what else to tell u, except good luck! just don't make excuses in court like the sun is in your eyes because i'm pretty sure the judge is not going to buy that. just hope the cop doesn't show up in court!

just yesterday i got pulled over going REALLY fast down grandview hwy. the cop said i went by so quick that he didn't even get the color of my bike. but he was nice enough to just give me a warning and remind me of the 50km/h speed limit. i was really lucky. he's a really nice and friendly cop, and i did slow down after that. we need more of those around the city rather than cops that give tickets just because you passed them and don't even know how fast you were going.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Okay im talking from allot of experience here, I have had 47 tixs 3 driving suspensions, and no accidents (knock on wood) I disputed most of them.. chances are the cop wont show up ... and you have plenty of time to think of an excuse.. from What i heard/ Learnt.. the cops dont get paid for going to the Court appearnces, so chances are (if youre lucky) he wont show up... If i was you ... dont worry bout it.. if he didnt get you on raydar, then youre free to go.. no eveidence...and if you need a good Laywer ... Jack Harris..

·
Registered
182 Posts
sunnijudge said:
Okay im talking from allot of experience here, I have had 47 tixs 3 driving suspensions, and no accidents (knock on wood) I disputed most of them.. chances are the cop wont show up ... and you have plenty of time to think of an excuse.. from What i heard/ Learnt.. the cops dont get paid for going to the Court appearnces, so chances are (if youre lucky) he wont show up... If i was you ... dont worry bout it.. if he didnt get you on raydar, then youre free to go.. no eveidence...and if you need a good Laywer ... Jack Harris..
47 tickets is that a typo man, holy sheep shit. How many tickets on your bike do you have.
Yeah the best thing is to not even take off your helmet when the copper pulls you over, and dont say anything. If he asks you how fast you were going say 90 km/h, whatever the speed limit is in that area. Llyod brings up a good point, dont say anything or just tell them that you were going the limit. Then dispute it and hopefully you will get off.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Also when it's RCMP as opposed to Vancouver,Delta etc. there is a chance he might transfer before you go to court. Happened to me once. The cop had transferred back east:D

I thought red bikes were faster than the other colours:confused

1 - 12 of 12 Posts