BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Experience" THX Rogger.
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you tech junkies, I have a 2003 SV650S and my Speedo isn’t reading. It is just registering 0 on my display. I believe that the Speedo reader is located on the front tire of the SV and I was curious if it could be covered with dirt or debris? Would this affect the reader or is it something like loose connection/wiring/cables? Any tips would be great!
Thanks

Aaron- :surrender

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
When was the last time you washed all the crud off of that thing?!? :laughing

Yah, I think you are on the right track - the wheel sensor is probably not picking up the signal - maybe some dirt or debris on the pick-up.

The rest of the display works ok? It illuminates, and shows the tach and other warning lights correctly?

Could be a wire or poor connection as well - worst case scenario is the pick-up has gone bad and needs to be replaced. That being said, there is probably a test you can do you verify the operation of the sensor/pick-up.

Hope this helps - drop me a line if I can be any assistance.

·
Rider
121 Posts
I had a Suzuki TLS1000 and the speedo pickup was off the front sprocket.

When you change sprocket sizes the speedo is not accurate on some bikes with this configuration. Maybe the pickup is in the same position on your Suzuki as well.

Like others have said, it could be covered with crud or have a broken wire. What ever it is your speedo thinks your bike is not moving. Good Luck... :2cents

G

·
if the reader is on the front wheel there is a cable that will go into the back of your speedo.

if so, this cable could actually be broken. the ends are press shaped square to go into each end fitting. and they break. you will have to unscrew the cable at each end and inspect.

happened on my 92 gsxr 750. modern had a replacement in stock.

·
"Experience" THX Rogger.
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i ride year round so there could be some dirt clogging in there. Ill check it out. Any other tips would be great. Thanks :)

Yeah thanks Dean ill give you a shout if need be!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Has your odometer frozen also (not zeroed)?
If the speedo is at 0 and the odo is frozen, it's very possibly due to broken tabs on the speedo pickup...all other guage stuff still works tho.

Happened to me just recently on my 03. Speedo was at 0, odo wasn't showing more kms, occasionally would work after I hit a pothole or something. Searched the SVrider site and found that others had the same problem too.
The speedo pickup is magnetic, and the tabs tend to shear off.

Just had mine replaced (03 SV) :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hey, the bike you sold me has the same problem. :rtfm Maybe you should just stop breaking the speedo's on all the bikes you own!!!

·
"Experience" THX Rogger.
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, the bike you sold me has the same problem. :rtfm Maybe you should just stop breaking the speedo's on all the bikes you own!!!
I know nothing of what you speek of....

Maybe its because of all the hard core top end riding you do. The speedo couldnt handle your high speeds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts