BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
bcsportbike goon
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who uses spine protectors here?

Back in '99 I was rear ended, then 2-1/2 weeks later, I got rear ended again. Well after 8 months of physio, and a lot of work to get my back, back in order, things are feeling good, hense me being on a bike.

But I'd like to try my best to keep my back safe.

I was looking at some sites, and came across this:

It sells for $95. Is that a good deal? Are these good to use? (In use with my Meteor 3.0 jacket).

Thanks

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I have one excatly like th one in the picture....worth every penny, I wear mine all the time, everytime I am on the bike my helmet, gloves, back protector and jacket are on....

Been in 2 pavement eating incidents with the bike, both times I was able to getup and walk away....I can bet you, especialy with my first incident, without the gear...it would be very different....

·
bcsportbike goon
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Human said:
I have one excatly like th one in the picture....worth every penny, I wear mine all the time, everytime I am on the bike my helmet, gloves, back protector and jacket are on....

Been in 2 pavement eating incidents with the bike, both times I was able to getup and walk away....I can bet you, especialy with my first incident, without the gear...it would be very different....
Glad to hear that. My instructor told me that these are worth to get, as the back protector in the jacket I have will shift around during a fall. Where did you get yours from, and how much?

C

·
0 Posts
i picked up one of these on the weekend. the one exactly in the pic. i love it. i feel so much safer. its pretty comfortable and it is actually a good way to keep u warm during night/early morning riding... so another benefit. :)

i recommend them.

they come in diff. sizes..... so they recommend u get the longest one ur comfortable with. for some ppl, the longer ones get real uncomfortable cuz it rides ur tail bone.

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
Does the back protector takes up a lot of space? Cause I mean if you were to wear a leather jacket, how do you wear the back protector underneath the jacket?? Since your leather jacket is suppose to be kinda snug (SP??)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Gujustud : I bought mine from Burnaby Kawasaki (BK) around 2.5 years ago so I have no idea how much I paid but $90-$100 would seem right. If you are attending action or have their certificate then BK will give you 10% off....

Mini: umm...you areactually supposed to get a jacket that fits snugs while wearing a back protector...

·
Registered
634 Posts
yeah the protector itself is pretty thin. most can easily fit underneath leathers. Mine is the joe rocket one with the wrap around the midsection and the should straps. I find the shoulder straps uncomfortable but its tight enough in my leathers that I dont have to put them on as the leathers hold them where they're supposed to be.

When we were down in Spokane I saw one rider cartwheel 6 feet in the air and smack into a dirt birm. When we went to see if he was ok, there were big rocks on either side on him. him and I think everyone else on the track were wearing back protectors, dispite the fact that they were optional.
I think everyone that intends to ride hard can see how smart purchasing a backprotector is. Hell even if your not riding hard who knows what kind of idiot taxi driver hides around the next corner.

-arai-

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
I have a Dainese protector myself that I am happy with. I have not crash-tested it, however.

You might check out some of the British bike magazines for articles comparing protectors.

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
Hey, gujustud, where did you see these? I might go check them out.

CBR600F2, where did you pick up yours?

I imagine that everyone sells them for roughly $95, or does anyone know where they are cheaper?

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
i got mine at bk, it's the joe rocket in the picture. i think i bought it for around 80 bucks but it was on special

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I got the JR one for my track duty. The Westwood club demands a spine protector so if you want to take their school you'll need one anyway.

The JR one fits fine. I don't find the shoulder elastics uncomfortable at all. I've also seen the type with the carbon kevlar plates but these were a lot thinner and looked to me like they would be too flexible and just bend out of the way. I like the idea of the overlaping armadillo plates of the JR model myself.

To be fair some of the jackets are coming with some pretty serious back pads these days. If you get the right jacket I don't think you'll gain much with a separate spine protector. But these types of jackets are still rare. For most of us we are much better to remove the little bum pad that's in there and use the better armoured item. And by removing the existing pad you actually make quite a bit of room for a good protector.

Another item to look for. You want to get one that goes far enough down your back and into the top of your pants to protect your tailbone if you're being serious about the whole thing. Those that have broken their tailbones will tell you that it's no damn fun at all. You can't sit, stand or do much of anything without being in pain.

·
bcsportbike goon
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BMatthews said:
I got the JR one for my track duty.
Another item to look for. You want to get one that goes far enough down your back and into the top of your pants to protect your tailbone if you're being serious about the whole thing. Those that have broken their tailbones will tell you that it's no damn fun at all. You can't sit, stand or do much of anything without being in pain.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I really want my tailbone protected, and by the looks of this protector it does go down pretty far. I've been rear-ended twice in my car, and trust me, 8 months of physio gets boring...

C

·
0 Posts
KatRider said:
Hey, gujustud, where did you see these? I might go check them out.

CBR600F2, where did you pick up yours?

I imagine that everyone sells them for roughly $95, or does anyone know where they are cheaper?
imperial, $95. :)

C

·
0 Posts
littlejim said:
CBR600F2 do you wear your spine protector all the time?
yup, even if i dont wear my cordura jacket, i wear it under whatever im wearing... even on long rides.... and plus it looks kool. =)

why not wear it if u have it :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts