BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how much luck will a guy have changing one or two spokes on a rim without disassembling the wheel? The last time a had a wheel apart it was to change 10 or so spokes so I just did a full rebuild. I'm wondering if you can properly align just one spoke without pulling out all the others.

·
Racin' anyone anytime
51 Posts
It's not an issue.. the issue is usually having your spokes seized into the nipples

I happen to have some spokes that fit an 18" Kawi wheel, as well as 21".. Perhaps they'd fit?

Jon

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually don't need to replace any right now. I had a few that were seized but I managed to loosen them. It got me thinking though.......

Thanks for the offer Jon.

·
Racin' anyone anytime
51 Posts
When I get a new bike, I take each spoke out one by one and put anti-seize on the spoke/nipple junction. I've had bad luck with trying to true a 2 year old wheel before. So now I spend the 3 hrs it takes to do some serious preventative maint. I also use a bicycle truing stand to make sure the wheel is centred, and that it runs round up and down.

Jon

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read on some forums that loose rear spokes is a normal condition on MX bikes. Is this true??? I didn't have any loose on the front but did find 4-5 loose on rear. The bike was only ridden for max 20 hours.

I used care, patience, time and some good penetrating lube to free to stuck ones. I know if they were left much longer they whould have been toast.

BTW I changed the rear tire yesterday and saw how the spokes mount in the hub: much different then I have seen before. No problem to change just one spoke at a time :rockon

·
Registered
819 Posts
Dirt bike spokes will loosen quickly and often.

Easy way to check tension is to just take the spoke wrench or something else metal and tap them as you spin the wheel with the bike on the stand. The ones that are tight will "ping" when you hit them and the loose ones... well they just sound loose. Just give the wheels a quick spin while dragging the spoke wrench along the outsides of both sides of the wheels and listen for the loose ones before you head out each time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts