BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Best sport touring bike

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to get a sport touring bike for a while but have never been able to get in the saddle to actually try a lot of them so I'm looking for my fellow riders suggestions. The only bike I've owned was a CBR600F4 which was a great bike but after about an hour my wrists would starting getting sore so I never did any long rides. I've always wanted to travel across Canada but the CBR just wouldn't do it for me.

I've always liked the Ducati ST4 but I know there are the Honda VFR800, BMW 1200, and a few others. My preference would be to have hard luggage options for the bike.

Looking for recommendations, the good, the bad, and hopefully not the ugly.

thxs

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
ST1300ABS - I know where there's a minter for sale ;)

Blackbird CBR1100XX -smoooth as butter, and quick.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Of course my choice is with the Mechanic. CBR1100XX SuperBlackBird. They are still available often low milage out of the States. Very user friendly and modable. The engine is "bullet proof" and good for 200,000+kms on the same cam chain. Has Honda's electrical gremlins, easily fixable.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,208 Posts
Ducati Multistrada MTS1200S (2010 or newer). The most fantastic bike I've ever had the pleasure to throw a leg over.

·
Banned
326 Posts
your options in your poll are all over the map for a sport tourer
you need to figure out whats important to yourself before you figure out what the right bike is for you

i own a 2010 fjr and love it with the rifle windshield and a good seat
next choice for me would have been the concours but the 2010s just didnt feel as nimble as the fjr
bmw was also a contender but price and the shitty shaft drive ruled that out
st1300 was an option but they are butt ugly once those bags come off and the power felt to be lacking a bit
sprint st was an awsome bike but i wanted more of a tourer and that felt sportier then i wanted
vfr was still to hard on the wrists and no wind protection plus you needed to purchase the luggage still

for me i wanted comfort handling power good wind protection for an all day comfortable ride with hard bags that come off with ease and i can still use it as an everyday sport bike
the fjr delivers that right out of the box pretty much

·
:D
2,281 Posts
^ What he said, plus, your options are all quite spendy and you left out an excellent option in not considering the V-Stroms. Depending on how much touring you've done, you may be better served getting *any* touring bike and doing a few trips to see if it's even something you want to pursue for longer than one season too. If the bug bites, you can always make the big dollar touring bike purchase a season or two later when you have figured out what your personal preferences and needs are. :2cents

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The poll is for bikes that I've read reviews on and like the styling of. I like to see what others are saying. If everyone votes for a VFR you can be sure I'm going to take a really good look at it, but of course try them first. To answer a few questions. I'm looking for more of a upright bike, something I could do 10 hours on with good wind protection.

·
That new bike smell
2,863 Posts
Ducati Multistrada MTS1200S (2010 or newer). The most fantastic bike I've ever had the pleasure to throw a leg over.
I got just under 2k on my 2012, you are not exaggerating, what a wicked bike. :rockon

OP should try the demo at BMW Ducati in Vancouver.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
352 Posts
Get the Triumph. Great power, reliability and sound. Don't touch the Ducati or Beemers unless they have some sort of extended warranty.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,208 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The poll is for bikes that I've read reviews on and like the styling of. I like to see what others are saying. If everyone votes for a VFR you can be sure I'm going to take a really good look at it, but of course try them first. To answer a few questions. I'm looking for more of a upright bike, something I could do 10 hours on with good wind protection.
I've got an '06 VFR800 and it is a great bike, and the seating position is much better than a super sport. But it's not that different from a F4i, a little more leg room, and little more upright, but not a huge amount. You can add helibars, bigger windshield, etc for more of an upright position but it does lean more towards the sport than the tour side.

My wife has the F800ST on your list and is very similar to the VFR, but lighter, more upright, more flickable, but more vibey and less power. If you're ~5'6-5'10" it would probably fit better than the VFR due to size and weight.

Still your budget would play a huge role, you could get a used VFR for $5-7K or you have the K1200GT on your list which is probably $20K.

If used and cheaper, also think about the FZ1 with the touring package (upright, comes with full fairing, hardbags), good power. Or if new, the Kawi Ninja 1000 with givi bags.

·
backslider
11,214 Posts
you can find immaculate, low-mileage K1200GT's for eleven to fifteen grand now.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
None of the bikes in your poll are what I would consider having an upright riding postion. Consider the Multistrada, VStrom or Varadero for that..

Lots of VStroms for sale at good prices.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts