BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a comfortable (more upright riding position) sport bike.
I have ridden lots of bikes and presently have a Ninja EX500 with 38mm bar risers. It feels real good. I want better performance but without losing the flickability of the lil ninja.
I am looking at the honda f2,3,4 and f4i and the zx6.
All of those have bars too low so I would probbaly raise them also.
The FZ6 looks good but the reviews are not so good. The Honda 599 looks good but i wanta fairing.
any suggestions ?
Ross

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I guess it depends what kind of bike you're looking for and what your budget is.

Lots of different 'sport touring' bikes with lots of different feelings.

I think for a fun, comfortable, usable bike the new FZ6R is a great choice. Nice comfy handlebars like your EX500, very nice seat, fully faired and nice smooth motor that isn't as peaky as the FZ6S. But it's new and pretty expensive. Otherwise--the 650R is quite nice, torquey and comfortable too. Very simple and twin :) When I rode the FZ6R at the beginning of the season I think it was one of the few new bikes I'd consider buying; I really liked it.

- If you want something bigger, a Bandit 650/1250 or VFR 800 would be good.
- If you want something more 'like a sportbike', what about an older F4i or a new model FZ6?
- If you don't plan on a lot of highway/touring then an SV650 or the 599 like you mentioned would be good too; if you want a screen--they're available aftermarket.

·
Registered
835 Posts
you may also consider how much sport vs. tour you want. there is always some trade off. At the cost of some "flickability" and lower weight, a gain in suspension control, stability, adjustability, and precision might be considered.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
From medium:
BMW F800
Duc ST3/4
Honda VFR
Guzzi Norge
Triumph Sprint

Trimph Tiger
Suzuki Bandit
Yamaha FZ1
Suzuki SV
Suzuki DL
Kawi Z1000
Connie 1000

To Large:
FJR, ST, RT, GT, C14

Are some of the more-comfortable options I can think of.

edit:

oh... these are probably all larger than what you're looking for. No idea what's smaller :(

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have ridden lots of bikes and presently have a Ninja EX500 with 38mm bar risers. It feels real good. I want better performance but without losing the flickability of the lil ninja.
I am looking at the honda f2,3,4 and f4i and the zx6.
All of those have bars too low so I would probbaly raise them also.
The FZ6 looks good but the reviews are not so good. The Honda 599 looks good but i wanta fairing.
any suggestions ?
Ross
Don't discount the FZ6 (I'm not talking about the pathetic FZ6R) as a candidate.
It's discontinued in North America for 2010, which means that you'll probably get a very good deal on a 2008/2009 model if you can find one in a Yamaha dealership. It's a fun bike to ride both "sporty" and "touring". I have never understood the "peakiness" that the bike magazine hacks keep mentioning to be a negative factor....that's why gearboxes were invented.

·
Registered
835 Posts
As well as price range, what exactly is "better" performance? Acceleration, braking, flickablilty, stability, comfort, range, low end torque, high end power, etc. Usually a sacrifice in one area or another....

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
"Comfort," can be subjective, thus, I recommend you try riding what you think might be comfortable, and see if it works for you. If the overall comfort is there, and only requires some minor tweaks (handlebar adjustment, or a custom seat (okay, so the seat is not really a "minor," adjustment)) then you've got your own "sport-tourer."

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Don't forget that it's common for dealers and manufacturers to put on demo days and this is a great chance for you to try out a whole ton of different bikes. I did some in the spring and got to ride the a bunch of different bikes--motards, sportbikes, cruisers, dual sports, etc.

Get in on these or go talk to friendly dealers that will offer you a test-ride so you can know first-hand what you find comfortable.

What might be pathetic to some is great to others so get out there and give them a try. Basing your decision on specs and other people's opinions is always a bad idea

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,337 Posts
Get an R6 and put an end to all this discussion.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,337 Posts
Probably not the best sport touring offering.

Try putting 150,000km's on one.
I wasn't being serious ;).

Although I've put over 15,000km on mine this year, mostly from touring. (Would have been more, but I didn't ride for a full month in the summer :(.)

A V-Strom is a great ride - should be fantastic for touring.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
I wasn't being serious ;).

Although I've put over 15,000km on mine this year, mostly from touring. (Would have been more, but I didn't ride for a full month in the summer :(.)

A V-Strom is a great ride - should be fantastic for touring.
Yes, I know you did some good rides... I was yanking your chain a bit.

When it comes to sport touring, you must consider engine longevity if you
plan on owning it a few years and putting on big mileage... and a high strung
600 engine just doesn't seem to me to be the logical choice!

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,337 Posts
Yes, I know you did some good rides... I was yanking your chain a bit.

When it comes to sport touring, you must consider engine longevity if you
plan on owning it a few years and putting on big mileage... and a high strung
600 engine just doesn't seem to me to be the logical choice!
True, and the tranny on a high-mileage 600 is bound to give, too. Guessing around 80,000-100,000 clicks.

I've never ridden one, but VFRs are supposed to be fantastic in the sport-touring department.

I've seen some people (Tattoodles) tour on FZ1's - the bikes look awesome with a full fairing/bag setup and should have more than enough power, too. Another option to keep in mind...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts