BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Future shop is having a 1 day sale on this Samsung sportcam system - it comes with a remote camera for mounting on your helmet or elsewhere on the bike. It also functrion as a MP3 player, voice recorder and takes still photos. The downside is that being a multifunction device - it does not do any one thing particularly well. However it is very light and portable and given the sales price $599 ($250 off) it is worth a look. Anyone here want to get one and do a review on it?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...ku_id=0665000FS10059540&catid=23053&langid=en

R

·
0 Posts
pricy...it would suck if you don't mount it correctly and it falls off...

how much recording time is there?

·
Man On Fire
216 Posts
:laughing :laughing... little more of a investment and you can get a nice canon mini DV, then go to the spy store and pick up the helmet cam....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Simple said:
Looks like a great tool for looking up girls skirts. :coffee

I respect a guy with an imagination. :laughing :evilgrin

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Simple said:
Looks like a great tool for looking up girls skirts. :coffee
Ahh Yes, cut open tounge of shoe, insert camera facing upwards, visit mall. :laughing

Ryan

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I'm not so vain that I need to see myself ride. :D

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
SpideRider said:
I would if I have one of Amber's 749s. Love to see the envious faces as I ride by :)

Nice Fish! Looking forward to seeing the review on your forum. Hope you paid by Visa because it has 30 days purchase protection (and 1 year warranty extension). Yes, if you binned it and destroyed your new cam, Visa will send you a cheque for the repair or replacement :D

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Ratzilla said:
pricy...it would suck if you don't mount it correctly and it falls off...

how much recording time is there?
I think this is a great camera...it doesn't give any performance up at all due to size.
The camera body is about the size of a pack of smokes and the bullet cam is totally encased in rubber and has a plastic cover over the lens.

Video performance is (720x480 / 30fps), which is the same or better than a lot of MiniDv cams out there.
It has 512MB built-in memory and has a slot for adding another card...so probably max it out at 2.5 Gigs of storage.

From the review link listed above:
"
I feel that Samsung has made a really smart move, enabling the user to select between 352 or 720 video resolutions recording at a Normal, Fine or Super Fine Setting. This enables the user to lots of customization as to how they want to record their video based on the amount of memory they have. For example using the SC-X105L onboard 512 MB memory this is what you can get recording at:

720/Normal = approx 32 min of recording time
352/Normal = approx 65 min of recording time

720/Fine = approx 16 min of recording time
352/Fine = approx 32 min of recording time

720/Super Fine = approx 10 min of recording time
352/Super Fine = approx 21 min of recording time

I personally like recording at 720/Normal as 32 minutes of recording time is usually enough for my downhill descents and the 720 video resolution is nice and big and better than looking at the small 352 size recording. Trust me, go with 720. "

So if you max out the memory card, you could probably do 50 minutes of super hi res video.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Consider it done ...
... buy it for me and I'll happily test and report on it.

B

·
0 Posts
SpideRider said:
Heheh But seriously, my buddy and I were just talking about this. Having just lost my bike to a Lying Bitch[tm] who now claims that she had nothing to do with forcing me off the road, I've been toying with the idea of budgeting in my next bike purchase for a tank-mounted camera that is simply part of the equipment I carry with me, like my helmet and leathers.

So, when that Lying Bitch[tm] decides to lie through her tobacco-stained teeth to ICBC that she did not run me off the road, and not one single person pulls over who can contradict that, I have evidence with which to slap her upside the head, and prevent myself from being cornholed by ICBC whose claims advisors don't really care whose fault it is or care about seeing that the proper person's insurance premiums go up.

I don't know if I'd want that system exactly, but I've been toying with the idea of something like it. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey - there's this really cool camera - Panasonic SV25 - that doesn't seem to be available in Canada. It's smaller than a pack of smokes and could be mounted easily on your tank, or even to your helmet. We used them on the roll hoops of the race cars I worked on and they give decent pictures. They're in jpeg format and have different memory cards (I guess most of them are like that) I've seen them on e-bay for as little as $125 US. Has anyone here used one on a bike?

just checked e-bay - search under panasonic sv-av25 in the cameras section. there's a bunch of them for sale. Only 2.0 megapixel... but the quality is decent.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts