BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't bring my heated vest :)laughing) and am planning on spending a lot of time playing in the snow, I think I need to get some proper clothing. I've got regular snowboarding pants & jacket (both of which are claimed to be waterproof), but I want to also get some of that 'under clothing.' What materials/fabrics should I look for? Fleece? Any specific stores to check out? Will that underamour stuff help?

Thanks!

·
Snowboard Bum
252 Posts
goto mec and just say you want to spend $80 on thermals and they will hook you up. i have no clue about them but i know thermals WORK! toast warm and they are thin...also see how waterproof your pants and jacket are. 5k, 10k, 20k water proof/breatheablity. thermal and pants will be warm enough hell i just wear boxers lol...but layer your top half.

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
I wear a set of thermals from Columbia when Skiing, and also under my clothing when Riding in Cold Weather, the stuff is awesome.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
if you want some awesome military grade shit, stop by Daves Surplus in New West. They got some great stuff.

Hey, if it's good enough to be wearing while running around not getting killed, i bet it's good enough for snowboarding/skiing as well.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I've got a Spot Mart nearby, so I'll drop in there this evening and see what they've got.

Max, that Daves Surplus place - is it the one on 12th street?

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
correct.

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
Two words: Under Armour

The small text: I picked some UA pants up last year - they are awesome for skiing or cold weather riding. Try Sportchek, or if you happen to be across the line, I know there's a massive UA outlet store at Tulalip. Not the cheapest baselayer out there, but I wore them all last year, and never once got cold.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I've got a Spot Mart nearby, so I'll drop in there this evening and see what they've got.

Max, that Daves Surplus place - is it the one on 12th street?
I use Helly Hansen stuff myself. Have light ones meant to stay dry as well as warm ones and multiple layers. Was going to check out some Under Armour baselayers as well this year, but got better pricing on the HH stuff, and I know it works awesome since I've used it before, so I've got more on the way.

·
lover of twins
6,068 Posts
merino wool

great warmth, super comfortable and because it's a natural fibre it doesn't stink like all that synthetic shit. it's a bit more expensive but worth it simply for the non-stink factor.

·
:D
2,281 Posts
Skip the gear and sing "I believe" at the top of your lungs while you're outdoors. I learned this during the Olympics.

Seriously, considering there's a 10 Monkey warning in effect (as in, cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey), just stay home and drink Vodka.

If you really feel the need to get out, bring the Vodka to my house and I'll help you drink it.

Now, if you owned a V-Strom, my advice would be completely different, because then you'd be able to go for a ride in this weather and bring your heated vest along... :laughing

·
bollocks
1,121 Posts
As far as I know, nothing breathable is waterproof, so far gor-tex is the only one close to doing that. I've been teaching up there for years, been through all kinds of shit storm: washing my gear in Nikwax frequently and tumble dry on low heat when wet was the only thing that worked.

As for cold, thermal under-cloth works; or just layer up, the more layers the better, in the end the only thing keeping you warm is the amount of heated air your gear can trap.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info.

Just came back from the plunders:
- under armour pants
- helly hanson top/sweater thingy
- columbia fleece zip-open sweater
- random fleece pants

Should be good to go with all this under my regular gear :D

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Scholler soft shell. Never go back to Gore Tex. Wind proof, water resistant, and breathes very very well. Also way tougher than gore tex. The brand does not matter, but the fabric does (Scholler).

Gore Tex stuff doesn't breath enough for high exertion. I have a very light gore shell that I keep in a pack, but I ski in softshell stuff, upper and lower. Merino wool underwear rocks, icebreaker stuff is nice, but pricy.

But I have found that the Scholler is quite warm under Gore Tex for those super cold days. To the left, I am wearing soft shell pants, with thin merino tights, and a soft shell jacket over a merino tee shirt, and a Gore jacket. Was -10, if I recall correctly.

No toque, and I remember regretting that...

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Stanfields wool one or two piece long underwear. I have to be outdoors and it's got to be really cold to wear this shit, it's so hot, -15 at least.

Anything warmer it's just that thin Polar Fleece stuff, even that stuff is too much.

Sweating my ass off at -10.

·
Livin' la Vida Loca
957 Posts
If you go to sporting goods at Walmart (open 24/7 over the holidays!), where the hunting goods are sold, they have thick flece-like thermals on sale for $12 top or bottom. The socks are on sale as well at $6 for three, and they work just as well as thick shin high ski socks. Those can run up to $30 a pair.

If you combine base layer (any thinner synthetic, doesn't matter from who..) with the top and bottoms, and add in a good toque under the helmet, muffler (or neoprene face shield), socks and a good set of gloves, you should be fine up to minus 20. Tested that on in Whistler, opening weekend.

I would like to find a set of neoprene boot covers. I saw a ski instructor wearing a pair. It straps over the toe box of the boot, keeping in warmth. I though that was simply brilliant idea.

·
license to chill
2,852 Posts
You know I used to only wear technical garments but a while back just started wearing normal things like cotton T's and long sleeves under hoodies and honestly I barely notice a difference. As long as you have a well-venting shell and don't let snow get in it's all good. And this is for skiing and boarding.

·
Snowboard Bum
252 Posts
You know I used to only wear technical garments but a while back just started wearing normal things like cotton T's and long sleeves under hoodies and honestly I barely notice a difference. As long as you have a well-venting shell and don't let snow get in it's all good. And this is for skiing and boarding.
+1

i only wear boxers under my snow pants lol. but i do find that a nice thermal is great for sweating in the cold and they are also way lighter then a hoodie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts