BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from riding in San Francisco, which is the steepest hill you've gone up or down?

Mine are 10th Street in New West behind Royal Avenue and Oxford in White Rock. Something about not seeing the bottom when you're looking down from the crest. Makes you want to barf sometimes.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
When they close the exit to the Patullo bridge from the New West side, and you have to go down Front Street and hang a right on 6th. Going up 6th feels like I'm doing a wheelie.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I use to compete in hill climbs , about 25 feet almost straight up after a 500 ft climb on a CR 500. It's by far my favourite thing to do on a bike. I grew up riding in gravel pits in Ontario.

Gogg St. in Whiterock is fairly steep. Alot more fun before they put in round about type things.

·
Melodious
496 Posts
I use to compete in hill climbs , about 25 feet almost straight up after a 500 ft climb on a CR 500. It's by far my favourite thing to do on a bike. I grew up riding in gravel pits in Ontario.

Gogg St. in Whiterock is fairly steep. Alot more fun before they put in round about type things.
Hill climbs rock .... I always wanted to be "hooker" :rockon
Chipmonk has a good one (though short).
I always think that the hills along the side of Hwy3 when approaching Keremeos would make the ultimate climb.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
I know it isn't the intent of the thread, but here are a couple of cool hill climb threads (there are some incredible pieces of machinery at these events):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160650&highlight=hill+climb

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57124&highlight=hill+climb

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
Yup, that's pretty steep, and over half the times that i've gone up/down that hill theres been sand and gravel on the road near those retard-abouts.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
steepest paved road, definetly san fran..... steepest unpaved road was a rock face behind The Chief (squamish).. failed miserably on the latter

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
+1 for Oxford in White Rock just off Marine Drive. I like how there 3 or 4 crests! :D

;D
+1, that's one damn steep hill.

·
565 Posts
The back side of Signal Hill, NL on my KLR250.

It was one of those keep your weight over the handlebars affairs. Just at the steepest part, near the top, if you stop, you WILL probably tumble ass over tea kettle backwards over 1500 feet to the jagged rocks and icy Atlantic Ocean below. SO, as I near the top,at the critical moment where stopping is not an option, there were a dozen tourists, women and children included taking pictures of Cabot Tower with their backs to me. (Who's expecting a lime green motorcycle to come up over the cliffside anyways, right?). With a blip of the throttle they heard me, confusion and bewilderment written on their faces, the crowd parted and onto level ground I rode and with an appreciative nod I thanked them.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
3rd Avenue in New West @ 12th Ave
Without checking it I'd have to agree that this is a duzzy and likely the steepest one in the lower mainland that has any real length.

There's one little back road in New West that is steeper but it's only a 1/4 block long.... or at least it SEEMED steeper when I had to pedal up the darn thing... :D

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Yo Sat, why don't you get video of someone going a wheelie DOWN that hill, keeping the camera level with the sidewalk angle. That way they should be able to do a 1 or 2 o'clock....that would look weird.

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,650 Posts
Aside from riding in San Francisco, which is the steepest hill you've gone up or down?

Mine are 10th Street in New West behind Royal Avenue and Oxford in White Rock. Something about not seeing the bottom when you're looking down from the crest. Makes you want to barf sometimes.
Oxford Street...wheeeeee!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts