BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got an 05 Suzuki DR-Z400SM. It's got the steering dampener mount already welded in place, but no dampener. Does anyone out there have one that can share whether it's really worth buying?

At highway speeds I could see how it might be useful, especially when it's a little turbulent behind big vehicles or in weird wind corridors. I'm curious how it affects low speed turning when you want quick, snappy turns in traffic at lower speeds.

Any and all insight is much appreciated!

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Most are adjustable. I don't notice mine a low speeds and run with it turned high on a sport bike... or I should say I noticed it at first, not any more.

People have played with mine on my street bike. I have found it turned to different settings after being parked outside my house. Might be important to stay on top of.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,237 Posts
We live in Vancouver. The weather is enough of a steering dampener for certain. You go outside and your steering will get dampened. Now if you are looking for a steering damper, I'd say that the DRZ doesn't need one at all, unless you frequently ride at 140+, at which point the front end gets very light and squirrely.

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Disagree if you ride in cobbles (zuch as a riverbed). Could be a crash preventor.

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
If I said if...

·
Registered
809 Posts
For a DR i dont think its needed.I roadraced with out one for years, actually never had one on any of my bikes. Relax your grip when you ride and you will never need one. Get tank slappers, loosen your grip and get on the gas. For most, it's cheap insurance, your call.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
I just rode my Drz up and down to Squamish as fast as those 35 or 40 horses would go.
Unless you add a ton more power to increase the top speed I don't think you need it .
I just went up 1 tooth on the front to a 16t to get more highway speed and tried to get it to the limiter in 5th on a straight right away (not on s2s) and couldn't do it.
With 16f 41r gearing ,3x3 mod ,full fmf pipe and jet kit I could only get it to go about 140kph (gps speed) at 8300rpm I think?
Not sure about that rpm might have been 8800 so It might do 160 down hill in a tail wind.
Point being a bike that will almost never break 100mph needs no stabilizer.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If you are going to ride hard, get one. After one tank slapper I considered one, then I chose to ride below impound speeds.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What are these tank slappers you speak of? jk :p

Never had one but i dread the day i get to experience one. Loosen the grip and get on the gas, will remember that.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A steering damper will ultimately mask a poor suspension set up. Before adding a damper, always have your suspension dialed in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome replies, thanks. Yeah I definitely noticed loosening the grip made a huge difference at speeds. I haven't had my suspension tuned, though - might look into that.

As for top speed, I got it up to 155 - fully stock on the flats while sitting up straight so I'm not sure why yours only hit 140 with all those mods. I guess my speedo could be off.

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
I have 50,000Km on my gixxer thou With No Damper and Never Issue and I run DOTS .
i have over 50K on my drz ... without one. it would go in a slow wobble once in a while on a sweeping corner at higher speed but ya relaxing the grip will help. i just want to know how you guys get up to 150???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts