BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 2006 R6 off my friend (he bought it a year ago and wasn't riding it).

Anyways, I have an issue with the handling in that the steering is REALLY loose, with just the slightest lean or turn it wants to just jump into the turn. Really hard to balance at lower speeds and when rounding corners even at like 30km/h I have to put probably 15-20 lbs (just a guestimate) of counter-steer to keep my line.

I've owned two Suzuki's, my last bike being an SRAD, and have ridden CBRs before and always found the handling really easy and stable. On my Gixxer I could execute most corners with a lean and very slight pressure on the bars.

How can I stabilize the steering on the R6? Is it supposed to be that jumpy and loose? (Not sure if the previous owner (before my friend) did some tuning on the steering or suspension).

Thanks guys

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Just picked up an 2006 R6 off my friend (he bought it a year ago and wasn't riding it).

Anyways, I have an issue with the handling in that the steering is REALLY loose, with just the slightest lean or turn it wants to just jump into the turn. Really hard to balance at lower speeds and when rounding corners even at like 30km/h I have to put probably 15-20 lbs (just a guestimate) of counter-steer to keep my line.

I've owned two Suzuki's, my last bike being an SRAD, and have ridden CBRs before and always found the handling really easy and stable. On my Gixxer I could execute most corners with a lean and very slight pressure on the bars.

How can I stabilize the steering on the R6? Is it supposed to be that jumpy and loose? (Not sure if the previous owner (before my friend) did some tuning on the steering or suspension).

Thanks guys
Sounds like tires if anything. The likelihood of it being anything to do with the steering head is remote.

How many kms on the bike?

What do the tires look like? Are they the correct size? Google says 120/70 on the front and 180/55 on the rear.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,279 Posts
Sounds like tires if anything. The likelihood of it being anything to do with the steering head is remote.

What do the tires look like? Are they the correct size? Google says 120/70 on the front and 180/55 on the rear.
Tire profile can also make a difference.

OP, what rubber is on the bike?

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts

Could be this.

Correct pressures would be first on my list.

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts

I don't know, a bike that wheelies easily ;-) Doesn't it have ball bearings instead of tapered?
Agreed, tires first, but maybe getting someone to check the bearings might not be a bad idea if the tires check out.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
how much did he weigh? and you? if he was lighter it makes a difference...also check the sag and set it for your weight...quick check is to wind in the fork preload and if it is better then you need someone to help set your bike...best fix is to take it to RMR...i think for a small fee he will get it in the ball park... aside form tires, tire pressures, suspension set up can all contribute to what your feeling..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far guys!

I'll check out the tires first and then work to the suspension. Here's what I have so far:

- It's got Michelin Pilot Powers on the bike. 180/55 on the rear and 120/70 on the front. I think my psi gauge is busted because it was showing me 13psi and 12psi which doesn't sound right but the tires were pretty rock hard to touch inspection. I'll pick up a new tire gauge later today.

- The bike has 23K on it.

- The previous owner that I was saying might have tuned it. If I recall was lighter than me. I'm about 185. I would put him at 165-175.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,279 Posts
- It's got Michelin Pilot Powers on the bike. 180/55 on the rear and 120/70 on the front. I think my psi gauge is busted because it was showing me 13psi and 12psi which doesn't sound right but the tires were pretty rock hard to touch inspection. I'll pick up a new tire gauge later today.
Don't ride until you get a proper gauge and check the pressure - 12/13psi is ridiculously low and you run the risk of having the tire come off altogether. If you can, drop by a bike dealership and ask for an AccuGauge - they're about $25-30.

I'm about 185. I would put him at 165-175.
Even if the suspension was set up for his weight, you won't feel any difference on the street.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far guys!

I'll check out the tires first and then work to the suspension. Here's what I have so far:

- The bike has 23K on it.

- The previous owner that I was saying might have tuned it. If I recall was lighter than me. I'm about 185. I would put him at 165-175.

loooooooooooool

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
I think my psi gauge is busted because it was showing me 13psi and 12psi which doesn't sound right but the tires were pretty rock hard to touch inspection. I'll pick up a new tire gauge later today.
I would bet money that your tire pressure gauge is correct.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has been resolved I did put more air in the tires! Thanks so much to all the helpful people! :D - not so much for those that felt like mocking me. (obviously there was a reason I didn't trust my original gauge, and that was that the shape didn't fit between the rotors and I couldn't get a seal. I bought a new gauge and it had similar results)

Yay! It's a great ride now!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
This has been resolved I did put more air in the tires! Thanks so much to all the helpful people! :D - not so much for those that felt like mocking me. (obviously there was a reason I didn't trust my original gauge, and that was that the shape didn't fit between the rotors and I couldn't get a seal. I bought a new gauge and it had similar results)

Yay! It's a great ride now!

education through humiliation.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
Glad to hear that the problem is solved and there were no major incidents involved along the way. But I seriously hope that you will try to educate yourself in some of the basics of motorcycle maintenance for your safety's sake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts