BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lee RideFar
5,463 Posts
There is so much information out there it just becomes noise. If you don't have any inside information or a stock guru relative/friend I would just stick to mutual funds. Last year was a great year for investing. Some of the mutual funds I sell did upwards of 50%.

I have some stocks but only because my grandpa is a oil baron. They are up down up down but they are mostly up. :)

If you are looking to make some quick money pick some penny stocks and hope for the best. They are like buying a lottery ticket.

Slow N Steady wins the race.

:2cents <---- thats all I have because of penny stocks!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
elevation said:
stockhouse.com or .ca
stockhouse is full of people trying to pump up the stocks, do not rely on what is said there. Analyses there also suck ass and never come true. You are better not following them.

ps. Phill, you suck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
The research tool through yahoo finance is pretty good for US stocks. Haven't found anything quite as good for Canadian stocks yet.

Watch out if you sign up through an online broker. Often they'll neglect to tell you about their minimum trades per month rule which can wind up costing you a ton of dough.

D

·
0 Posts
just be careful about the money you make on your stocks. the gubment wants their piece of the action.

you do not want first hand knowledge of how they take it if you screw up.

if you get stock options thru work, cash them, no matter how little you make on them.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
doug said:
if you get stock options thru work, cash them, no matter how little you make on them.
Not sure what you mean by this... what's your point?

(And yeah, the gov't wants its share -- income tax.)

·
no brand loyalty.....
709 Posts
Furious Fiero said:
Lee, do you have to be a member of RBC to use their action direct? Vancity is my bank.
I just set up one, you need an account At the Royal, cost you nothing, trades are really reasonably priced, all markets available.
Jim
and yes, you have to :rtfm LOL

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Furious Fiero said:
PS2 - Villi, you comin tonight?
Can't ... basically stuck putting a bed together since there was a slight family screwup.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
doug said:
yeh i am with gordopolis, what do you mean by this?

Is there some tax incentive for this, or should i vacate canada for 6 months?

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
gordopolis said:

I don't think he has a point - he usually just says stuff, for the sake of saying stuff. :p

F.Fiero - as mentioned in that other thread, it's not so much what interface you use, or where you get your reseach...it's how you're able to apply your knowledge. It might be a good idea for you to do the CSC course or the like (I'm sure there are similar, compressed courses for those interested).

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
Yahoo finance isn't too bad. You can get press releases, news articles, and some fundamentals, analyst estimates (for US, the CAD I don't think they keep updated).

You can get filings from www.sedar.com and www.sec.gov and go into Free EDGAR

D

·
0 Posts
gordopolis said:

if you don't cash your options, you still get taxed on them. even if you don't make anything. you get taxed on the potential. big issue over it from some employees in a logging company.. many lost their homes to pay off the government on stock they made no money on.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
doug said:
if you don't cash your options, you still get taxed on them. even if you don't make anything. you get taxed on the potential. big issue over it from some employees in a logging company.. many lost their homes to pay off the government on stock they made no money on.
Are you sure that applies to Canadian tax law? American taxes are like that, I believe, but I have not heard that about Canadian taxes.

From my lay POV, no (capital) gain is realized until after the option is exercised!

I have vested options in companies as part of my compensation package, but never been taxed on just the options (though in both cases the companies were privately owned -- with the promise of going public. One of those promises actually came through -- kinda -- and I did see some cash benefit! But the other remains toilet paper.)

·
Linguistic Ninja
88 Posts
doug said:
I believe you get taxed on options after you sell the underlying stocks you recieved after taxing them.

People get fucked because they'll get stocks for $1 worth $40 at the time of exercise, but then sell when it's worth say.. $10.

Capital gains on $10 right? Nope.. capital gains on $40.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts