BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Stolen Bike - Theif is in the hospital..

8K views 119 replies 49 participants last post by  psyclone 
#1 · (Edited)
So I woke up this morning to my dad's yelling, something about a break in my garage. Saw broken glass from one of my cars. Bike was missing. The bastard actually carted the bike between my TWO parked cars and through my garage door! So i called the cops and reported it. And they said they might have recovered it, but the theif is in the hospital. at least I will get it back.. I don't know in how many pieces....... I've learned my lesson. Lock and Chain, and boot in the garage at all times.

Oh yes and the funny part was when the police asked me if I had a freezer in my garage, i said yes, then she told me that the guy was seen with a pack of shrimp in his back pack, and a box of icecream bars from my freezer

But anyways is there any thing I can do about this? can Home owners insurance cover something like this?

#2 ·
The bike itself wasn't insured?
If not, good luck with your home insurance. I'm sure the premium is likely higher than the value of an F2.

#3 ·
Pay a visit to the hospital with a bouquet of flowers and a lead pipe. Kick some asssssss!!!!!! I'm pretty sure a few members on this forum would like to pay a bike thief a visit. :evilgrin

Call it a intervension of sorts, a group of riders convincing a thief from further stealing bikes.

#5 ·
But anyways is there any thing I can do about this? can Home owners insurance cover something like this?
I like force feeding the thief.....

Home owners insurance will/should cover the damage caused by the thief during the theft (dont' forget to add the cost of the shrimp and ice cream bars), but not the motorcycle itself. Big deductible for home owners coverage though.

It would be good to know the id of the thief, not for general publication, but to ensure you go after him (perhaps even small claims court) for the deductible, if the judge doesn't order restitution....

#6 ·
That sucks, well, good that the thief is in the hospital, he deserves it. Why would you not put a storage policy on it? They are so cheap! Pretty funny how he stole shrimp and ice cream bars though.

#10 ·
Actually it was insured, for basic only. No comp because i always store it in my garage and only ride for pleasure, i never leave it out anywhere, but i've learned my lesson.
Doh! (insert forehead slapping sound)

Anyway, same rules as my previous post. Homeowners covers home/property damage. You're on your own for the bike damage.
However, don't fret, think of all the money you've saved on Comprehensive premiums over the years!

#16 ·
Im a hired hitman by trade so everyone on BCSB paypal me some money and gimmie the hopsital and room number, I will take care of the rest.

#18 ·
kanelupis said:
Question is. Can you do small claims if he's been charged for the crime already?
Of course. Criminal just determines the punishment you owe to the society.

Civil case is much easier to prove than criminal, if guy pleads or is convicted in criminal, civil case will be a breeze, at the end of the procedure you can litteraly own him and skim every penny off his pay until the ammount owed (determined by the judge) is paid back.

#19 ·
ICBC may cover you then sue thief for damages. If ICBC can get more money out of him than the bike costs they'll do it.
not unless the owner paid for either Comprehensive coverage, or Specified Perils.
No "own damage," coverage, ICBC will not pay for it, and go after the thief, as it has no legal recourse against the thief if it does.

Sort of like buying a Bay blanket (the tri coloured one), then taking it back to Sears and demanding a refund.....

G
#20 ·
just go and get his name, screw court. simply walk in crush one of his testicles, inform him that you are taxing him. say. 20gs (seems like a fair number to me). say you'll come by for weekly payments of a g, and charge only a mere 10% interest per week on any late payments. if he can't pay two weeks in a row, have a set of bolt cutters on hand and show him what else he can lose. funny how 20gs might be 20 late payments, and i figure most guys can count 21 parts of the body that they wouldn't want bolt cutters to get close to.

its far more gratifying this way, but remember its not personal, its business. he owes you money for your loss.

#21 ·
Good luck getting his personal information. As a victim, you have no rights. As a criminal, he already knows where you live, and he'll be given access to all your personal information.
Chances are he's a transient with a drug habit that has no money and no estate. You can get a judgement against him and you'll never get a penny.

If he gets jail time, he'll get to surf the internet, watch tv and play golf for a couple of weeks.

Isn't justice great here in BC? :)

#23 ·
So did he hotwire your bike, ride it, and crash? Or was it bad shrimp? In which case he might have done you a favour. LOL What put him in the hospital? Just want to make sure that it was something painful.

#24 ·
It is your right to know who he is and his last known address because it is your right to sue him in Civil Court.
The Police must, by law, make that information available to you and/or your legal council for the purpuse of initiating legal procedures. What you do with that info is up to you....

#26 ·
take him to small claims court for the money that he owes you. if he pleads guilty in criminal court it will be easy for you to win your case. it will just determine how much he owes you for the damages to your bike and cars.
good luck
if that all doesn't work you should have his name and addy from the court

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.