BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was just reading through the posts about the stolen bikes. My co-worker's brand new Kawasaki KLR 650 (about a month old) was lifted on Saturday night in Burnaby from his secure parking garage. The theives stole a vehicle as well and busted into another. The funny thing was that they didn't steal the sportbike there.

Do you guys know if this is "typical" level of motorcycle theft or is it on the rise?

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Penelope,

Ask your friend how much mileage was on the sportbike...just out of curiosity, it seems that most of the bikes are new that are going missing.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had about 1200 KM on his bike. Had it just in for the first maintenance.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
First off, sorry to hear about your friend since I didn't mention it before. Theft, it would seem, seems to be increasing IMO. This is the 3 bike in a week that has gone missing that I've seen on the board. Not cool.....all bike thieves should have their left hads stomped on and broken.:evilgrin

Penelope said:
He had about 1200 KM on his bike. Had it just in for the first maintenance.

Was this the mileage on the KLR? I would have norally thought that the sportbike would be gone first. Was there anything preventing the thieves from taking the sportbike as well.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The KLR had a lock and chain on it. The sport bike was under a tarp and it was older as well.

I just feel badly for him :( sad to see him without his baby.

·
[Oo=vw=oO]
761 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I'm getting a little paranoid here. Is a lock and chain not good enough nowadays? Are those Kryptonite locks and chains good?

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
Where was it stolen (somebody should put red dots on a map), where was it purchased, serviced?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this isn't news to anyone but if you want to keep your bike make it so the thief has to work to steal it. Most theives are lazy. If you got a car block the bike in with the car, put more than one lock on it, cover it. I personally make my bike a bitch to steal. It's behind my truck with 3 locks plus the steering lock and I also usually lock run the long cable lock through the bike and the loop on my trailer hitch. If they want to steal it they have to cut the lock in a tight space, then move my truck.

It sounds bad but make it easier to steal someone else's bike. Protection is another good reason to make cosmetic changes to your bike, a lot harder to sell pieces that are easily identifiable.

·
Formerly FURY
2,731 Posts
KLR the target instead of the sport bikes? My guess is that the KLR would be easier to pawn off b/c of the environment it would be used in, the bush. Cops don't usually hang out in the rough checking for stolen dirt bikes and conservation officers are not likely to have info for stolen vehicles. Just a thought.:alien

·
Registered
725 Posts
you have to remember that it is all relative as more people ride which is the case over the last few years more bikes will get stolen basically due to several main reasons

1) More riders equals more bikes that are potential targets

2) More riders crashing their bikes, and buying stolen parts as they are cheaper than factory parts

Its unfortunate but you should see how high theft rates are in places like the UK where lots of people ride, we are actually quite fortuate compared to them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts