BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Cars from Mars (anyone have any experience with these guys?) and the salesman tells me that with newer vehicles you cannot disconnect the speedometer/odometer to stop the mileage adding up because the vehicle will then not shift due to the speed sensor being disabled.

It’s a Chevrolet Astro 1992 with only 90,000 kms.
90,000 kms = 6,400 kms per year??

http://showrooms.canadatrader.com/showrooms.asp?RowID=17411401&Dealer_id=3193-3537&Pagecount=1

Also does this in any way apply to bikes too, perhaps to their ignition timing?

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
I've been in newer 4-wheeled vehicles than that with non-functional speedometer/odomoters, and they ran fine. I'm sure experiences will vary with different makes/models.

Some bikes have different ignition maps for different gears, but I don't think you'd necessarily interfere with those ignition maps when disabling a speedo/odo.

As for the van: get the VIN and run it through the Aircare website--the vehicle's mileage is recorded at every test. I looked at Honda Accord with very low (for the year) mileage a few years ago. Despite the vehicle being very clean, I was suspicious about the mileage and ran the VIN. Turns out the mileage was recorded as being the same for 5 years straight.

http://www.aircare.ca/index.php?inspinfo-get-results.php

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
it's the module that controls the speedo that determines/assists in shift points, not the speedometer itself.
ah, remember the good old days when speedos' were run with cables?
GSP (Brent) and i rode an endurance rally, and on the way *home* my speedo cable broke on my <cough-cough> motorcycle. How fortunate for me, it didnt' do so during the rally.....

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
It will shift, just will not shift smoothly. Usually defaults to 'full line pressure' shifts. An easy trick for drag racing too.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What the salesman told me was that they have the records of the Aircare recorded mileage or maybe he said that I could get these records. You know salesman, they generally tend to sound like they say something without every really committing.
100% agree with the Honda Accord experience, and I wonder 'bout this Van too!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gixxer_76 said:
It will shift, just will not shift smoothly. Usually defaults to 'full line pressure' shifts. An easy trick for drag racing too.
Ah ha, so it will shift!

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Chumly said:
I know on my bike you can unplug the dash which kills the speedo/odo etc. or defeat the speed sensor (and I presume that kills the odo too) to defeat the soft rev limiter, but the ECU defaults to the limp home map so there's a performance loss.

Since I tend to keep bikes for a while I like tracking the mileage for oil changes etc. I don't think I'd really want to dig into the wiring and defeat the odometer.

W

·
0 Posts
Not too fishy to me. I once bought a 1987 toyota Land Cruiser. It was in 1997. The woman I bought it from did one trip per year in it from Red Deer to Mara Lake. The truck had approx 15000km on it when I bought it. So it can be right, Just do some digging

·
Wannabe
199 Posts
if you get the vin or the registration number you can go to the aircare.ca website and get the aircare history with the mileage on it.

its possible to cut out just the odometer, you just have to cut the wire right at the dash cluster, the computer takes the speed information long before the dash cluster

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Deej said:
if you get the vin or the registration number you can go to the aircare.ca website and get the aircare history with the mileage on it.

its possible to cut out just the odometer, you just have to cut the wire right at the dash cluster, the computer takes the speed information long before the dash cluster
You will also loose the speedo doing that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Chumly said:
I just got off the phone with Cars from Mars (anyone have any experience with these guys?) and the salesman tells me that with newer vehicles you cannot disconnect the speedometer/odometer to stop the mileage adding up because the vehicle will then not shift due to the speed sensor being disabled.

It’s a Chevrolet Astro 1992 with only 90,000 kms.
90,000 kms = 6,400 kms per year??

http://showrooms.canadatrader.com/showrooms.asp?RowID=17411401&Dealer_id=3193-3537&Pagecount=1

If the system in the Astro is anything like the one in the newer Impalas then yes it can. A buddy of mine rented an Impala a couple years ago and I didn't think it would work, but he pulled the fuse and ran to Calagry and back. The only milage on the vehicle was from running around town.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
definitely compare mileage at time of aircare. I spoke to guy from BCAA and he looked into a suv for a client. One of the many used car dealers on 800 kingsway. The mileage didn't match up. Showed that the odometer was rolled back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it being a 92 pre obd2. i doubt youd have problems with anything acting up. every car is different. i once tried to swap clusters on a 2000+ expidition cause the coolant temp guage was faulty. the truck would not start at all with the different cluster. yet with other cars you can easily swap the whole cluster out. even if its digital and the car will work fine. legally you need to document the change over. ive even see cars a couple years old with only 10000km on it but a sticker installed by the dealer saying the cluster was replaced at 40xxxkm.

my professional advice. check the records. and even before that check the obvious. worn drivers seat. worn gas and brake pedals. overall mechanical condition........you can tell if its a good car

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
If it seems fishy it usually is....trust no one...especially used car salesmen...If they didn't roll back the spedo...perhaps the owner did to get more for the tradein.....I do know of some people that know how to roll back the new electronic speedos.....do some homework save heaps of grief...there is a car check service that you send in the details of the vehical and they give you the history of the service records and crashes/claims...can't remember the site,,,help??? carcheck?? It was on tv...

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I doubt the mileage reading is accurate. There are several ways to look it up if you're really interested in the vehicle.

IMHO, after many years of collecting cars, that kind of -low- mileage isn't impossible but: (1) such vehicles are seldom 'minivans', and (2) tend to be owned by people who have kept every receipt. Yes, receipts can get lost through time and transactions but (3) with low mileage cars, their meticulous care really shows. As does the presumably limited use of such a vehicle where there's usually very little wear, and even that is confined to one seat, where the vehicle likely had one simple function/use to the owner. So too does the front end reveal a world of secrets... the bushings tend to be in great shape ...but badly dried out. And, finally: (4) these cars tend not to end their lives at suspicious 3rd-hand car lots.

Just my 2kms. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info everyone!

I did not buy that van, I bought a ‘94 Ford Aerostar privately, 7 passenger, 90,000 Km, pretty well all options, second owner, very well maintained, never in accident, lots of service records, great rubber, etc. for $4,000.

My mechanic knew the van well as it he is friend's with the owner, it should be hunky dory (me hopes).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts