1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just curious, I've been hearing that you can get the same effect of stable fuel from just filling up a full tank of the highest octane gas.

Is this true?

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just spend the money to do it right the first time. and it's only 3 bucks to cheap out. Tell me you don't blow 3 dollars on useless shit...

typical BCSB ppl

·
Registered
801 Posts
fog oil is for your cylinders/combustion chamber

it doesn't replace the need for the fuel stabilizer
so you basically put this fuel stabalizer stuff in your last tank of gas you will be riding it on for the season...ride around with the fuel stabalizer in it for however many km, then she's ready to be shut down?

·
groundhog - wrong again!
173 Posts
just spend the money to do it right the first time. and it's only 3 bucks to cheap out. Tell me you don't blow 3 dollars on useless shit...

typical BCSB ppl

i could care less if its $3 or $30, just wanted to know.

fog oil is for your cylinders/combustion chamber

it doesn't replace the need for the fuel stabilizer
yes, i saw that, thanks slam, will add both soon ( :) fingers crossed for some more sunny days)

·
user
98 Posts
so you basically put this fuel stabalizer stuff in your last tank of gas you will be riding it on for the season...ride around with the fuel stabalizer in it for however many km, then she's ready to be shut down?

There are usually instruction on the stabilizer in the sense that it tells you how much to add according to the size of your tank. Plus you should top up the tank full. Not sure if leaving gas in your carbs is a good idea for over winter. I'd drain it instead of leaving stabilized fuel in them. Although I've done that in the past.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
there are instructions in your manual about storing a bike properly.
there are lots of other threads on here covering it in detail too.

there are also instructions on the bottles.

but basically, for stabilizer, yes, put the recommended amount for your tank capacity in with a fresh tank of gas and let it run long enough to work it's way through the whole fuel system.

you really should be draining carbs, etc. too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Even easier, keep riding all year round. :rockon

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Add the stabilizer to a full tank, let it run through for about 5 mins...shut 'er down...and begin mourning the end of the season.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
If you're parking your bike for 6 months or less, filling the tank to the top with the normal octane, and then draining your carbs (if you have them) will do just as good as putting fuel stabilizer in.

For riders in Vancouver, fuel stabilizer is a waste of $$$, IMHO. It doesn't get cold enough, and we don't park our bikes long enough, to warrant it.

Fuel goes bad because of the oxygen in the tank. If you fill the tank to the brim, you minimize the oxygen, and reduce the ability for the fuel to go bad over winter. Our winters aren't that long here, nor are they that cold. Your bike will be fine without it.

Now, if there's a chance you'll leave it for more than 6 months, or if you really aren't sure at this point, then I agree that putting stabilizer in might be a good idea. But better yet would be to drain the tank, remove it, and store it in a warm, dry, closet or basement until spring. put cloth over the openings to keep bugs out, but let it breathe.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
What Happens to Fuel When it is Stored?
Any fuel, be it gasoline, diesel, or heating fuel, is made up of many different organic compounds. These organic compounds are constantly changing over time becoming new compounds that change the characteristics of fuel..........
Well said! It's been easy, effective and cheap way to store the bike for long period of time. I let the bike run for 5 minutes or so every 2-3 weeks, it was fine.

HOWEVER, when I parked my bike at the airport for a bit more than a month, I didn't add stabilizer. When I came back, man it was so hard to start the engine... The battery was fine, but the engine simply didn't start. After a dozen of trys, it finally started....phew. I wouldn't know what to do without bike 200km away from my house...., not to mention it was south of the border. I suspect that the remaining gas in fuel injector, or inside of fuel lines went bad over time, it gave me a hard time starting.

It's only recent that I learned fresh fuels are so important.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
You know, the perceived lack of basic knowledge of putting one's bike to sleep properly around here is absolutely shocking.
This is basic, basic stuff people.

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
You know, the perceived lack of basic knowledge of putting one's bike to sleep properly around here is absolutely shocking.
This is basic, basic stuff people.
this is just the tip of the iceberg:laughing

G

·
doogie and spike u guys are very informative, i was just planning to store my bike with a full tank of high octane in my friends shop (indoors) for maybe about 3 months, but i think ill put the extra effort and use the sta-bil! thanx alot guys!

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
From the first paragraph:

Stabil Website said:
The same molecules that make up the best parts of gasoline can react with oxygen and other elements in the environment and form new molecules that build up to form gummy residues or varnish-like films that can clog up passages in fuel lines, carburetors, and injectors.
Hence, fill the tank up, and there's very little oxygen to react with. Very little oxygen = very little reaction = very little chemical activity. Long term, maybe. Storing over Winter in Vancouver, no.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts