BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Gear Driven Cams
4,414 Posts
Well said! It's been easy, effective and cheap way to store the bike for long period of time. I let the bike run for 5 minutes or so every 2-3 weeks, it was fine.
This is one of the worst things you can do for your engine. If you store your bike, store your bike. Running it for a few minutes once every few weeks just traps more moisture in the oil, which is then distributed through the engine. Moisture = corrosion and rust wherever its trapped against your engine's metal parts.

Before you put your bike away, you should take it for a nice long ride (at least a half an hour) to cook out the moisture. Once you've done that, fill the tank with gas, and then drive it no more than 5 minutes to whereever you're parking it. Add Stabilizer if you're parking for more than 6 months, less than that you don't need it. Drain carbs when you get it parked, and you're good to leave it.

Of course, there are dozens of other things you should do in preparation for storage too, but those are beyond the scope of this discussion. For a very, very good list, look on the Wiki, there is a great link to a "storing your motorcycle for winter" article that covers absolutely everything.

· ride a lot
1,822 Posts
This is one of the worst things you can do for your engine. If you store your bike, store your bike. Running it for a few minutes once every few weeks just traps more moisture in the oil, which is then distributed through the engine. Moisture = corrosion and rust wherever its trapped against your engine's metal parts.
Maybe I should added that I rode 3-4 times each winter, that's why I didn't want to go whole storage procedure written on my manual. And oil traps the moisture? How can it happen? Can you explain?

· Unregistered User
192 Posts
Maybe I should added that I rode 3-4 times each winter, that's why I didn't want to go whole storage procedure written on my manual. And oil traps the moisture? How can it happen? Can you explain?
Air in the crank case condenses and forms water droplets mix in with the oil, much like putting a lid on a glass of hot water, when the water cools, the lid will have condensation on it too. The next time you run the engine for 5 minutes, the oil is not hot enough to boil off the water, and the oil/water mix gets pumped throughout the engine. When the engine is shut off, hot air condenses and form water droplets again as it cools and it goes around again.

· Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Winterizeing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all Quite Simple . And worth the Time and Small Expence to to Take Care of Your Sport Bike.
( 1 ) Fill the Tank and add STABILIZER.
( 2 ) Ride it for Approx 10 Km's (To get the Stabliizer into the Fuel System )
( 3 ) Change the Oil And Filter ( Letting used oil sit in a CranckCase all Winter is not a Good Thing )
( 4 ) Clean you Machine so it Look's Nice and Shiney for Spring.
( 5 ) Hook it up to a ** BATTERY TENDER **

**** Go Rent some DVD'S **** Watch FootBall **** And Hope for an Early Spring :tredmill

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.