BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
MM1117RF
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. On my way to the butter chicken event couple weeks ago i got cut by a minivan turning left right in front of me ! Had to do an emergency manoeuver, skided but manage to not drop the bike and pass behind her. A second later and i had probably to jump away from the bike.... Honestly...she scared the shit out of me! Period.

So i was thinking about putting a strobe light in my head light and tail light.That way cars can't miss seeing me...i guess !

Personnaly i don't care if it can be annoying for others, i'm sure it work real good.So that way i don't have to mess with my harness trying to rewire the signal lights to stay on all the time & blink when needed.

Legal or not ??? Is anyone doing illegal things on here.....lol

What do you think ? 'cause i can make it work for real cheap.

Just wanna be more "visible" without having to dress like a clown !

Here's a link. www.visiblemoto.com

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,221 Posts
Headlight/Tail Light modulator... do a search.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Headlight modulators are legal. Putting a "strobe light" in your light bucket is not.

And safety vests (I have the Icon Mil-Spec) are truly amazing for catching driver's attention.... most of the time. Drivers will actually get out of your way thinking you're the po-po.

·
That new bike smell
2,863 Posts
I have a Mark 2 Lightning Solar by Vanson I got at Burnaby Kawi, it glows in the dark for a few hours after sundown. The less light, the more visible it is.
Under streetlights it hardly glows. In the boonies you can read by the glow from the sleeve while it still has a charge.
http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/c3l2_lightning.htm
It looks like the Indiglo from a watch. I'm should get the vest above so I can look like the Tron guy. (In shape version)
Even better, someone should get Vanson to custom build a one-piece from Solar leather. Blingy bling.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
only people alowed to drive with strobes anywhere on their vehicle have government jobs and generaly where the yellow vest mentioned above. all us civilians aren't allowed to drive with any strobes visible.

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
They're more of a hazard than anything. There's a guy with a ZZR250 with one and it's the most annoying thing on the road.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I've seen those modulators stock on Goldwings, and fuck are they annoying. But, you do see the guy. :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'ev got a modulator on my bike and its great. If your with other bikers that you don't want to annoy just leave your headlight on low beam and if your on your own during daylight hours put it on high beam and it modulates. Very easy just plug it in and it works. They tell you to drill a hole in your fairing and mount the sensor there, I zap strapped mind to the top of my fork and if I want to I can just put a piece of black tape over it. Quite interesting too, I mounted it in the u/g and was trying to get it to work with a flash light, no go.. must be sunlight or it doesn't work. Cool heh.. check it out. f you want to give me a buzz and we could hook up around town and show you mine. (if your in vancouver)

cheers

Paul

·
Registered
78 Posts
So i was thinking about putting a strobe light in my head light and tail light.That way cars can't miss seeing me...i guess !
I've ridden two full seasons now. The first season was without a headlight modulator. I put on the modulator last February, and I wouldn't run without it. In fact, many driver's have given a 'thumbs up' with it.

Could it be annoying? Sure. Do I care? No. It's no more annoying than having high beams on. When I ride in a group, I turn it off if I'm not leading. It is controlled by your high/low beam switch. There is a sensor that deactivates it if it's dark or you enter a tunnel, etc.

I have the Comagination unit with solid state relay wired directly to the battery. The light is much brighter this way. Check out Comagination.

I have noticed that oncoming cars are MUCH more aware of my presense on the road, BUT NEVER rely on this as your only defense.

I would recommend them.
H.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Strobe?
Ticket magnet.
Modulator?
Sure, it works.
(not for me though, I'm going with the 8 forward facing lights and Huge Mass approach):laughing

·
It's healing time
319 Posts
I've ridden two full seasons now. The first season was without a headlight modulator. I put on the modulator last February, and I wouldn't run without it. In fact, many driver's have given a 'thumbs up' with it.
H.
They're giving you the thumbs up because they think you are warning them of a radar trap ahead, don't fool yourself they are anoying -but they do work.

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,650 Posts
Hate to say it, but the headlights I notice most are the headlight with 2 driving lights that are common on cruisers.

Me, I run with high beam on during the day and I don't think I would get a modulator.

·
MM1117RF
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got cut off again this morning... one of the car inline ahead of me decided to merge in the right lane where i was coming on pull. In the curv on Broadway & Boundary. Bike skided , heading to the curb.Didn't crash, manage to recover, got lucky again...

I definitly want one of these "modulator" !

Once i get it...i want to bypass the "photocell" and hook it up to my horn (2 now) so if riding by night it can still work when hitting the horn.

Now, where to get it around here?

ride safe & have fun.
:rider

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Your bike is black. Isn't your gear black also? ;) Loud cans might save lives, but so does not riding in the blind spot of cars

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
I rarely get cut off, and when I do, it's usually because I was speeding so it was my responsibility to realize that they can't judge my speed in their rear view.

I hate it when riders use modulators and it's hazard to everyone else on the road. They annoy other drivers/riders and can cause accidents around you.

Learn to ride safely before getting one of those.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts