BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had to scrub my hard drive and reload my whoooooollllle computer... without wanting to. 6 months of music, bike vids, pics, programs, video games (hours and hours of playtime!) alll lost. some stupid registry error or something. and i didn't know enough to back up everything either. oh well..... i have my work cut out for the next couple of weeks.

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Word of advice...parition your harddrive and install all your games, music on a storage drive. This has saved my ass a few times.:thumbup

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
that sucks mang :(

time to start practicing backing up data onto cds or dvds.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
well duh~! If you use windows, you should fully expect to lose everything and scrub your drive atleast every 6 months! backup all data religiously (or use a seperate partition for it all!)

*OR*

install a free, stable, solid OS and solve all your problems.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Partition is definatley the way to go.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
computer!

I have a 20G harddrive and have it partitioned in a 5G for my OS and a 15G for my games.I find I have to run scandisk and defrag at least once a week or it really slows down:( ..........ken.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i do have a burner and i'm going to invest in a second hard drive. This is my first computer so i didn't know what to expect. And as usual, all the great advice came after the big crash.
oh well. For all of you out there who don't back up your stuff, BEWARE!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Use 2 drives, and once you have your OS and office software re installed use a utility like Ghost to image it to the other drive, that way when it blows up again you can restore the image in about 10 mins instead of spending 10 hours to re install everything.

I have a 3 gig backup image and it takes about 7 mins to restore, Windows XP, Office XP, web software, Corel Draw, Adboe and all my printer and video drivers, scanner software, cd burning software. Take the time to set up the comp the way you want, image it and you are all set.

I can probably format and restore my entire computer in the time it would take you to find the CD's you need. :D Ghost software is about $80 or if you folllow me around I usually end up dropping a copy of it here and there. :angel damn those lousy cd binders.

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
DNAspark99 said:
well duh~! If you use windows, you should fully expect to lose everything and scrub your drive atleast every 6 months! backup all data religiously (or use a seperate partition for it all!)

*OR*

install a free, stable, solid OS and solve all your problems.
Just make sure to save room for a windows partition!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts