BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Meeting times and places:
#1: Meet at 1pm and leave 1:15pm from Safeway on Granville between 67th and 70th Ave, in the parking lot along Granville (the part next to Granville but far from Safeway). Possible to enter from Granville if you're coming from North, or from 70th Ave. (west of Granville) if you're coming from East, South and West. As many riders already have quit riding for the year, please RSVP if you're coming. I'm expecting a small group. Possibility to create more meeting places on the way upon request...so post up!

Map of this Safeway: http://www.safeway.ca/storefinder/s...1&to_phone=604-263-2635&to_pharm=604-263-7267

#2: at around 3:45 at Shell (?) gas station on SR 542 at the corner Silver Lake Rd. in Maple Falls, WA. It's the last gas station to Mt. Baker. If you enter Glacier, WA, then you missed it. I think there was a sign on SR542 for Silver Lake Rd. and it should be easy to find. I count 2.5 hrs to get there from Vancouver including minimal wait at the border and a quick gas stop. I recommend you to check this link right before you leave home to add it to the meeting time if you see any wait time at the border: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

Pace: Slow, 10-20km/h over the speedlimit mostly. Newbie friendly. I haven't yet to see a newbie friendly ride to Mt. Baker yet??

Going Mt. Baker on Sun. afternoon. We enter the US from Peace Arch, Pacific Hwy, Aldergrove or Huntingdon. I'll check the line up on the net right before departure. We'll stop for gas once we enter the US, filling it up required. We'll do a few round trips up and down the Mt. Baker.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont know if you would be able to leave any earlier, but if you dont get a big enough turn out from here, there's a baker ride on sunday starting in mt vernon/bellingham around noonish.
not sure what the pace will be, but i'm sure there will be a variety of skill levels
Thanks for an info. I was actually interested in Kitsup ride on same day, but I didn't want to ride full day since I'm working on Mon.... So I just want an easy afternoon ride. It can be really chilly in the morning these days, too.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in! but I don't know where that Safeway on Granville is, could you perhaps post a map of the area?
I added a link of a map in my first post. Are you coming from Abbotsford?? If that's the case, maybe we can meet at a gas station (I think it's a Shell??) on SR 542 at the corner Silver Lake Rd. It's the last gas station to Mt. Baker.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I added a link of a map in my first post. Are you coming from Abbotsford?? If that's the case, maybe we can meet at a gas station (I think it's a Shell??) on SR 542 at the corner Silver Lake Rd. It's the last gas station to Mt. Baker.
Yeah, I am coming from Abby. I could also meet at the border crossing, which one are you going to take? Pacific Xing?

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i might just ride with you guys if that's ok since i dont have all the details of the other ride. but ur making miss the seahawks gaaaaaame :( haha so we'll see how it works out
Oh? Now you're coming from Bellingham? We should then meet up at that gas station in Maple Falls, WA. And time... I'm leaving Vancouver at 1:15, and my estimate is that it takes 2.5 hrs to Maple Falls, this including minimal wait at the border and quick gas stop... So if there's no line up at the border, I'll be there at around 3:45.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I am coming from Abby. I could also meet at the border crossing, which one are you going to take? Pacific Xing?
Oh okay, then we should definitely meet at that gas station in Maple Falls, WA. It's just 15-min. ride or so from Sumas. 9deuce9rr seems to be coming from Bellingham, so we all can meet there.

Which crossing we'll take? I don't know yet. When I checked the website this morning, there was no wait at Pacific Hwy., while 20-min. wait at Huntingdon... Peace Arch has usually the longest wait time, but it's sometimes not true... I'll check the website right before I leave tomorrow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i wanna go..... noob.... but not slow..... just learning to smooth my ride..... but no US visa....

so i follow you guys halfway?! lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
i wanna go..... noob.... but not slow..... just learning to smooth my ride..... but no US visa....

Who cares if you're a noob? I'm a noob too. We all gotta start somewhere. And for a US visa, I'm not sure what that is, but I know I don't have one, just bring you're passport (if you have one) or your birth certificate and drivers license and you're good to go

I'll be at the shell on a blue GS500

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

noob but not slow? You follow us halfway and pass us, sweep the speed traps? lol

Yea, this ride is suitable for slow riders, but open to everybody. Me too, I'm noob and I don't want any 2nd ticket in WA in 2 months. I love Mt. Baker, because it's so technical and challenging, yet speed limit is set fairly high. I haven't seen too many cars speeding there.

Re: US visa, if you're Canadian citizen, like Jr. Jones said, bring your birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, etc in addition to your D/L, vehicle registration and proof of liability insurance. You don't need a visa for pleasure up to 6 (3?) months of stay. I used to enter US with my Japanese passport, when entering US via land, you 'buy' a visa waiver which is good for 90 days for US$5 or 6. This is same for other 20-30 countries which they have visa waiver program with the USA. Other than those nationalities, you should do some research on the net.

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be at the shell on a blue GS500
OK, I'll meet you at that gas station. If we can't meet for whatever reason, I'll be on blue SV650 (not SV650S) and going up and down Mt. Baker many times. I'm pretty sure I'm the only SV650 there (though we may see quite a few SV650S).

·
Registered
969 Posts
Have a safe ride guys :D

·
you can't touch this..
124 Posts
i wanna come but i need someone to meet me somewhere round surrey or on the way.....i dont know the way ......lol

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i wanna come but i need someone to meet me somewhere round surrey or on the way.....i dont know the way ......lol
Mmm too bad, I'm leaving in a few minutes. You can search Maple Falls, WA on mapquest.com or something, just zoom in. You can easily find Silver Lake Rd.

I hope you'll find your way.

There's 30-min. wait at Pacific Hwy., 20-min. at Peace Arch, and no wait at Huntingdon. So I'll try first Aldergrove, then maybe Huntingdon. So I'll try to be in Maple Falls at 3:45!
See you guys.

·
you can't touch this..
124 Posts
anybody wanna meet at the border..?...havent cross border in 10yrs...

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Less than 5 min. wait at Aldergrove Southbound and Pacific Hwy. Northbound.

Great road as usual, though some part was wet. Not too much gravel and rocks. I'd love to be back in a few weeks, but how many sunny weekends we'll have before it snows up in the mountain?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts