BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pussy
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I slept in and missed Shovelhead's ride. Up Baker, take touristy photos at the top, do a couple laps, come back. Pace will be quick, proper gear please.

Meet at Bob's Burgers and Brew at 1030

·
Registered
9 Posts
You know what? That ride is high on my list, can't make Sunday though. Maybe I'll post the same ride again soon. Wish I could make it! I can;t count how many times I've travelled that road, but its been a while.

·
Pussy
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, Bob's in Sumas. @ CDG, probably 3ish, give or take? depends on many things.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks guys!

Today's ride was just what the doctor ordered to clear out the post-winter hiatus sportbike riding cobwebs. The weather turned out to be if not perfect then in any case pretty darn good and WAY better than the forecasts.

Took me a bit of time to get into some kind of rhythm again: touring on highways in South Africa on a BMW F700GS is a different kind of riding, believe me! The only part that really wore us (me and my wife) down were the first gear corners close to Baker: low speed, first gear corners are just not much fun two up. It is heavy on the passenger, it is heavy on the wrists, it is heavy on the bike.

But the rest was magic. Nice pace, roads in good condition, great weather, beautiful scenery all around: one cannot ask for much more.

Couple of pictures:

Bikes on Baker:

P1030966%u00252BCrop%2B%2528Medium%2529.jpg

And even just the way we rode is a bit of work two up: got some of the square bits worn off the tyres:

P1030968%u00252BCopy%2B%2528Medium%2529.jpg

Not track-type wear but still enough to show that two up places some strain on things.

Thanks again: much appreciate you allowing us to tag along.

Alwyn & Esmé

·
Pussy
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great ride! Thanks for the nexus line tip Shovelhead, and Mr. and Mrs. Superslab, I'm glad you enjoyed your first group ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SR 542 opens to Artist Point earliest since 2005

Date: Thursday, May 14, 2015

Mild winter leads to road’s earliest recorded opening

MOUNT BAKER – The lack of snow this winter was tough on skiers and snowboarders, but it’s great news for fans of Artist Point on Mount Baker. The Washington State Department of Transportation opened the final 2.7 miles of State Route 542 to the scenic destination at about 2 p.m. Thursday afternoon, May 14.

This is the earliest opening of the road on record; the previous was June 29, 2005.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Darn, I would really, really have liked that! We were not intending "flying under the radar": Esmé and I just decided during the week that it is high time that we went for a decent ride. Because she had not been to the top of Baker we thought that would be a good idea. When we saw Claude & Ben posting about the ride we thought it would be nice to tag along with just a couple of people for a change.

But there is still a lot of summer ahead: we will have to make a plan to met up.

I should also post up a brief ride report of our South Africa trip: couple of pics FWIW:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts