BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been poking around the net lately trying to find some info on new gear for SM riding. There's lots out there, but nothing really SM specific.

My existing boots are all worn down and the toe is coming apart. I have holes in my gloves and my helmet is due up for a replacement soon now.

Gloves are easy to find, just some leather race gloves I guess?

I found a Bell MX helmet I like that fits really nice. Any recommendations on goggles to go with it?

The biggest problem is boots. Replaceable soles would be nice. The Sidi boots have the sliders which I like.

What kind of SM gear does everyone else use/like? Boots? Gloves? Helmet/goggles?

;D

·
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other problem is trying to find some of these local to be able to try them on. With Alpinestars, I'm an 11. With some other brands, it's a 12.

;D

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,234 Posts
for goggles, I recommend the Oakley goggles that are out now. They are inexpensive for what you get, and the feel is incredible around the face. They are Lexan lenses and do anti-fog very nicely.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i have the sidi supermoto boots, and riding supermoto, u want the protection they have, i had my toe hook comin through a turn and turn my foot backwards, ordered the sidi's the next day and was on crutches for weeks, havent had a problem since

·
Ya, whatever.
669 Posts
I got the Sidi sliders after a tibia plateau fracture with a sole grabbing when I tucked the front end. What a bitch that was and I am looking forward to arthritis now. Get slider soles. I do not like the bulk of the sidi sliders though and I have almost worn through the side of the sole with knee out turns. You can make replacement sliders out of a cheap cutting board.

There was a brand that did a velcro replaceable sole which looked good and low profile but I cannot find the mag I had with the boot review.

Helmet, leathers etc, lots to choose from. Get perforated leathers if going the leather route.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i ran across this info in Vibram's website. looks like they developed a sole specifically for Supermoto on the bottom of a Gaerne boot.

Link

another link showing the sole

second link
Hey do you know where you can get replacement sliders for those Vibram soles?
I purchased those soles at the end of the 2005 season and had them installed for the 2006 season. They're pretty cool. About $85 and another $80 to install at your local cobbler.
BUT, replacement sliders have been impossible to find. Any information appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Axo RC6 boots are awesome, although tricky to find soles for. But once they're not on backorder, I'm gonna order a shwack.

I have a Shift 2 piece SM suit, and it fits real good for the low price. Well made.

Smith Warp Ti goggles are fantastic, but I've never owned another brand so I can't compare.

I did my research, and ended up with all this stuff. It worked out good, no complaints at all.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
I just use to wear all roadrace gear when riding my supermoto (except for the helmet). I found that my MX boots were too tall, because they would hit (or just barely clear) the knee sliders on my leathers.

And I usually just wore sunglasses with my helmet, not goggles...I only wore the goggles when dirtriding. I liked the additional air-flow I got without having the goggles on.

meh...

·
Motard Central
881 Posts
Alpinestar Vector boot (in different colours)

Alpinestar SpS glooves (black)

Alpinestar Jacket (model of your choice)

Thor Helmet

Smith eye protection (roll-offs/tear-offs optional)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use the Thor SM leather pants/ MX kneepads/ Arai MX Helmet/ 661 underarmor/ and currently joe rocket road race gloves. I'm not too persnickety on the goggle choice.

I will occasionally pull out my NJK leathers (made for sm -- I can sit up without the road racer camel toe) if:
1. speeds dictate
2. the surface is rough enough to cause concern
The NJks feel like pajamas, but I much prefer the leather mx pants and jersey approach.

The thor pants are a ton better than the tld's, but they measurements to waist size don't line up to reality. A 34 will fit a guy with a 30" waist.

As for boots, I have the "old" sidis that I have fitted with the crossfire soles and a pair of the oxtar sm boots. I only use the oxtars for offroading. The soles don't slide enough. I made a mistake with my sidis in switching to the crossfire sole. They slide better than the oxtars, but not as good as the red hard plastic sliders you get for any of the srs boots. I've had to change my style to accomidate the boots -- I can't just leave my foot on the ground all the time now like I could with the plastic sliders. The old style sidi's are comfy, but are lacking in ankle protection. Mine will be replaced shortly (I've got 4 race seasons out of them).

·
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just picked up some Sidi Flex Force SRS boots at the bike show. Amazing price, I couldn't say no. Now I just have to pick up some of the supermoto soles for it and I'm set for this year.

Oh wait, I still need new gloves and helmet! :)

;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts