BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently this is coming down today?

And it doesn't look good for the grey market in Canada, from what I understand they're leaning towards 'illegal'.

Anyone got more news on this?

I of course am referring to DirecTV and Dishnetwork setups.

D

·
0 Posts
my understanding was they deemed it illegal a few years ago. still won't stop me from getting one.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doug said:
my understanding was they deemed it illegal a few years ago. still won't stop me from getting one.
Not the case. It's been deemed, "unclassified" at the moment, and therefore it's a bit of a 'grey' area for the law.

Not illegal, not legal.

It has however been found in the past that because the signals are broadcast to Canada without our concsent, that we are allowed to do whatever we want with it.

D

·
0 Posts
adamantium said:
It has however been found in the past that because the signals are broadcast to Canada without our concsent, that we are allowed to do whatever we want with it.
thats the sticky point. directv claims we are stealing the signal. if they don't want us to have it, don't beam it to us! its not our fault their footprint includes the northern part of the continent.

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
If we pumped 10 times as much power south of he border w/o charging, would they use it? Yep. Would they pay for it? Fuck no, why pay somebody you have bent over a barrel. We're bent, we'll pay.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Is the issue the reception of the signal, or the use of unlicensed technology to process the signal?

AFAIK, you are legally entitled to receive any/all transmitted signals you want. Things like AM/FM radio, ham radio, FRS. This also includes the signals sent out by police radar guns, which means it's legal to a have a radar detector.

BUT if a satellite company has their signal scrambled, and the de-scrambling device has a patent on it, if you descramble without permission you could be breaking laws.

Sorry, I expect I'm completely wrong about all this. What do other people know?

D

·
0 Posts
gordopolis said:
Is the issue the reception of the signal, or the use of unlicensed technology to process the signal?

AFAIK, you are legally entitled to receive any/all transmitted signals you want. Things like AM/FM radio, ham radio, FRS. This also includes the signals sent out by police radar guns, which means it's legal to a have a radar detector.

BUT if a satellite company has their signal scrambled, and the de-scrambling device has a patent on it, if you descramble without permission you could be breaking laws.

Sorry, I expect I'm completely wrong about all this. What do other people know?
basically, the west coast is ok with radar detectors, the east coast isn't. you can legally copy something patented as long as its for your own personal use and not for sale. so anyone that can create a receiver and decoder, have at it!

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
It's just the cable descramblers before, they wern't leagal but everyone had em. Theres not really anything they can do about it leagal or not, nobody can enter your home without a warrant. I'll continue to use the satellite cards as long as theres a signal and I doubt anyone will stop till its gone.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow.. too many big words for me. :D

Basically from what I can understand, the law hasn't changed any and that their os nothing currently banning us from decoding unauthorized US satellite signals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts