BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
oldskool suzuki rules
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the winter of 04/05 I installed a complete running gear set off of a 04R1 onto my 86GSXR11. Generaly I'm very happy with the results, hell just for the brakes and the rubber it was worth it. My only compaint is in high speed sweepers the front end kinda wallows.

I'm thinking its the way I have it set up, but i could be wrong, maybe I should have had the forks and shock resprung...... anyway I'm open to sugestions/help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
By wallows, what do you mean? Is it a push, or does the front end feel like it wants to tuck under?

First thing you should is set the sag (front and rear) and make sure you've got the right spring rates.

Nice bike BTW. Looks like a blast to ride.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
go to a nice quiet off ramp that you can get off then get back on and start adjusting the dampening....from what you say i would start with going 3-4 clicks of front compression...and 2 clicks rebound.....also if the rear is too soft it can give you a wallowing feeling at high speeds round a corner...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Read the "Suspension 101" threaad stickied to the top here. It's got all you need to set up your bike.

If you cannot achieve the proper sag with the stock springs then they may need to be replaced with aftermarket stuff. And a word of warning. Stick to the street sag spec for street riding. Full race sag settings, especially with stiff springs, will be far too harsh for streets with real world ripples, bumps and other crud that kicks the bike around.

D

·
0 Posts
i dont have anything useful to offer. but i just wanted to say nice bike.

i like the headlight and fairing work. looks sweet dude.

i have a 87 750 myself that ive been doin some work to. one day maybe a 1100 engine swap is in the mix.

cheers

·
100% Asshole
3,394 Posts
Tee Tee is right first thing first read the "sticky" about suspension and set up that static sag it is the starting point for messing around with your suspension also one change at a time and do what I do, record every change u make it really helps when things get a little awry.

·
oldskool suzuki rules
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the complements! and ya I should have noticed the suspension thread..... crap there is a lot of info in there.

I'm thinking that it is either the rear rebound, the front rebound, or something to do with the steering stem......... tomorrow I will start with the rear rebound, adjusting one thing at at time writing the changes down and riding the dam thing :)

again thanks for the complements and I'll keep ya posted

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
wallowing?iam guessing re spring time.then work on the dampning.how much does this bike weigh vs the r1?as well with streetfighter bars on it the center of gravity and weight distribution is differant and that will affect it to.

·
oldskool suzuki rules
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do not know the total wieght but will try to figure that out

1) 2 clicks harder rebound on the rear much better
2) 2 clicks harder rebound on the front worse set it back 2 click
3) set rear air pressure to 33 and front to 31 better again. was 33/33
4) 2 more clicks harder on the rear rebound a little better

seems like the wallow is still there but has moved up to about 170 on sweepers. the back seems quite a bit better maybe its transfering from the back to the front. not sure but the front sure seems to be having trouble, it does settle down if I'm on the throttle. when the front wallows it seems like the wheel comes down further to the outside of the corner, is this push......... I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about, it is getting better I know that much.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It sounds like you have too much weight bias to the rear of the bike thats lightening the front end. Set the sag on the rear at least. Setting your static sag should tell you if the spring rate is too soft. If your spring rate is out to lunch all the clickers are doing is putting lipstick on a pig.

You shouldn't need to pull anything off the bike to adjust the spring tension. Just hammer the locking rings with a screw driver to loosen them and then grab the spring and turn it tighter. The pressure of the spring on the retainer should spin it fine once you've loosened the locking ring. Then just tighten up the locking ring again and your done.

Also try raising the forks in the triple clamps. It should drop the front slightly and change the geometry a little to plant the front better. The new front end might even be a little taller than the old set-up which would definitely contribute to the problem. If it's more than a little taller you should look at having it lowered a little or you'll never get rid of the problem, no matter what you do to the suspension.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Just a thought as well but given that you installed a new set of forks did you ensure that the forks were the proper length and offset for your bike? Rake and trail, rake and trail. The combo of these two specs is what makes or breaks the handling. IF you're pushing the limits on these specs then it won't matter what settings you use it'll still be messed up.

·
oldskool suzuki rules
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1) the R1 forks are about a 1/2 inch shorter than the old gixer ones but I was able to lower the top tripple an equal amount so as it stands the stock front ride hight is acheivable.
2) set the static sag prior to hitting the road in 05, the forks and shock still had the original R1 settings as delivered by the factory, I recall that I've didn't have adjusted either much to acheve proper sag, but that said I will have another looksee to confirm this setting before proceeding further.
3) weight bias has changed quite a bit from front to back, I've also built in ride hight ajustability into the back, but presently its stock. last year I lowered the front 20mm, haven't touched anything down yet and have been all the way to the edge of the tires so I'm thinking lowering the front more is still an option.
4) yes the offset on the R1 tripple is different, I realy should have had a new one machined, with the stock 1100 diamentions, so ya the rake and trail have changed, how much I don't know but I will try to figure that out.

I"m still hoping I can tweek it into submission.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
You may want to measure and analyse the front end a bit more. The rake angle is set by the frame but the trail distance is set by a combination of the triple's offset and how the front axle is mounted at the base of the forks. Assuming that both the old Gixxer forks and the new R1 forks both use the axle in line with the tube center lines then it comes down to the offset in the triples.

·
Registered
819 Posts
How much different is the geometry of the new swingarm? If the bike is sitting lower at the back the bike will be more raked out at the front as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts