BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is one aspect to riding that still, to this day, befuddles me, its suspension. I know what preload, rebound, and compression "Do", but anything I read or watch about what behaviour the bike has, and what to adjust to change it, never sticks in my brain.

I've even thought of looking for a multi-day suspension clinic somewhere that offers hands on style instruction "Here is an R6 frank and the settings are all fucked......fixit" kind of format.

After 25 years if riding, I think I should be able to dial in my suspension and make adjustments on the fly. But, in reality, I say someone to do it for me, then set it and forget it. Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If there is one aspect to riding that still, to this day, befuddles me, its suspension. I know what preload, rebound, and compression "Do", but anything I read or watch about what behaviour the bike has, and what to adjust to change it, never sticks in my brain.

I've even thought of looking for a multi-day suspension clinic somewhere that offers hands on style instruction "Here is an R6 frank and the settings are all fucked......fixit" kind of format.

After 25 years if riding, I think I should be able to dial in my suspension and make adjustments on the fly. But, in reality, I say someone to do it for me, then set it and forget it. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yup. It's all Greek to me and I took Mechanics 10, Mechanics 11 and 3 block of Mechanics 12 in high school.

·
Registered
156 Posts
CDG..... to be honest it can be confusing at times as I find everyone has there own opinion on how they them selves like suspension set up. I have been lucky enough the last couple years to take Dave Moss's suspension classes at The Ridge, last year Dave had all of us dial the suspension all the way back so it felt like we were riding a marshmallow then riding a couple laps at 50%
After every time out on the track Dave would have us adjust the suspension until we could noticeably feel the difference and dial-in to what felt correct for our riding style. Good, Bad or Indifferent it taught us how to feel the differences and adjust ourselves.

Something to think about for next year when Dave Moss comes back up around this area.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. That's how I used to do it. Go out for a half day by myself with my screwdriver, ride full soft, then full hard, then make big changes, then subsequent smaller changes. Just don't seem to want to go out by myself much these days. Ride days are less than plentiful these days. I think a track day where that service is offered is the way to go

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
interesting, this is something i find is very common amongst even the most experienced riders..

I personally felt the same way early on but i wanted to learn, i was hungry for it to be honest.. I dont know what it is about studying a bike's behavior that just grabs my attention.
i've been able to figure things out fairly quickly but I must admit i've had a lot of help from various experienced and professional sources who seem to enjoy talking about the little details
as much as I do.. I spent some time chatting with Ohlins very own Thermosman and that was an absolute blast, wow did i learn a lot about shim stacks in a very short time...
I think the biggest thing that has helped me is having grown up riding a TRIAL bike. I have a lot of experience in riding very awkward terrain and I guess some things
just stuck, if it dont feel right its likely not. I set up my own suspension by feel to be honest.. I dont do a lot of measuring but i'm getting more into it as a way of getting there quicker.

Last couple of years i finally got my R1 setup just how I like it, and It was interesting to me most of the work had to do with differences between low/high speed damping and how they
effect each other.. Rebound is something that is a real PITA on the Raider and i'm really looking forward to nailing it down with the new shock as it is adjustable on that end of things.

I generally start with settings others have tried on the track, and back off a little until i find a sweet spot.. It takes a lot of one click this way and one click that way for me to find my way around
but since i enjoy riding solo and taking several shots at known roads I find its very satisfying when you finally can dive into that blind right hander knowing your baby just wont let you down.

feedback is hugely important to me, and i've been known to back off on aggressive riding altogether from time to time even though others were happy to keep pushing it. I need to know what can and will happen to feel comfortable out there.

Yup. It's all Greek to me and I took Mechanics 10, Mechanics 11 and 3 block of Mechanics 12 in high school.
should have been taking Physics and fluid dynamics :thumbup

as others i'm sure will chime in, I think I would get a lot more from a proper 'suspension clinic' out on the track rather than a plain jane track day when you just go round and round at full tilt, learning little beyond your own limitations

·
Captain Charisma
216 Posts
There are a few decent youtube videos out there that do a really good job at explaining things. Reading it in a book gets pretty dry and is hard to comprehend without seeing it in action, that's why I found the videos helped then going back and re reading those same books it all made sense. Option two is visit Mspeed and save yourself hours of fiddling and pay someone else for their knowledge.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Dave Moss had 2 different sessions earlier this year (mSpeed and PRS) I was going to go, but just didnt have the time. If there was anyone that could have explained exactly what you want to know, he is the guy. They had session where he explained ins and out, what is what and how it all works. Then they adjusted suspension, went for a ride, made minor adjustments, went for a ride, and so on for most of the day. As Lee said, he is all over the place, including T-Hill. Hoping he will come back nexst season and do another one of these, as now I can plan properly for it and join in the fun.

http://feelthetrack.com/2015-schedule-calendar/suspension-school/vancouver-bc-seminars-august-13-and-14/

http://www.onthethrottle.com/tag/dave-moss/

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't speak on behalf of WMRC though I did have some time to spend with Dave this summer dropping him off Sea-Tac and we did discuss him coming up 2017 to put on a clinic through WMRC at Mission, again I can't speak on behalf of WMRC but I can say Dave was excited about the idea if there was enough interest from local riders.

I know I would be eager to complete another Dave Moss clinic.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
It didn't work this year, I'm still toying with the idea of bringing Dave Moss out to one of our track days next year.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
You don't need to understand suspension to set up a production bike.

I would point out Tony Foale as a how suspension works resource. He started out way back when but he's still involved and consulting in the now.

The only reason you need to understand it is you plan to set up bikes for other people and set up brand new out of the box models.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I don't pretend to get it, I just pay a guy. And Rod will be getting another chunk of cash soon to upgrade the latest bike.*

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
You don't need to understand suspension to set up a production bike.
mostly accurate for todays offerings. I believe sportrider magazine still releases test settings when they do a bike review so if you're
within specs for rider it was designed for you should be okay making small adjustments to suit your specific needs.

I don't pretend to get it, I just pay a guy. And Rod will be getting another chunk of cash soon to upgrade the latest bike.*
i will agree when in certain circumstances and depending on how often you switch bikes it is very affordable to just have it done with proper measurements and an experienced eye to boot..

i do believe once i get all the goodies on my set of current bikes, i'll be visiting one of our local talent to help me get 'em both dialed in & on the ball :2cents

1 - 20 of 55 Posts