BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about how long until its recommended that you rebuild your forks and shocks. Also, how hard are they to rebuild.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Well if it's for your 2000 then you certainly don't need to worry. For bikes older than 8 or 9 years it's a good idea to change out the fork oil. And for bikes that old upgraded springs are a great idea too. Not that the old ones sack out but the design criteria has changed since that time.

Rear shocks are often sealed and are not rebuildable. For these it's either a new shock or an aftermarket model. But here again it takes a lot of years and miles to wear them out.

PS: unless they are leaking or not working right from landing too many wheelies and stoppies :D

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
would excess weight wear out the suspension quicker?
like if someone was too fat or shuffling too many chickies from ptA to B?

G

·
you're so damn light that if you were to take 2 other girls on the back, it would just about make up the total weight of the average amercian who rides your bike!!
I don't think you'll have any probs, Chuck.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a buddy of mine thats looking at buying a used bike. Its a new r6 with seal problems. I'm thinking that he abused the crap out of it. I think I'm gonna recommend against buying it.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
atomlowe said:
I got a buddy of mine thats looking at buying a used bike. Its a new r6 with seal problems. I'm thinking that he abused the crap out of it. I think I'm gonna recommend against buying it.
A newer bike with leaking seals fairly SCREAMS out about too many hard wheelie landings. And it's not just seals that take a beating fom that. There is evidence that the frame takes a kickin' too.

I'd say you're wise to advise him against it for the above as well as the other hidden problems that come with a bike ridden like that.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured as much Bruce.....when he called me and said he saw a bike that needed "minor" suspension work.....ah, okay, how old?

Its a '99 and probably doesn't have much life in it left. He said the motor seemed strong, but who really cares if the bike isn't true? I didn't know it was a '99 until earlier this morning, I told him to throw it back. I don't know where he saw it, but I'll try to find out.

thanks,

atom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts