BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok herewe go GLUP I am aboout to do something no man is supposed to do right???? I have a '96 cbr 600 f3 and absolutely no idea how to set up my suspension......... so I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips tricks or suggestions. Whew that wasn't so hard... Got a good idea on how to do it from www.cbrworld.net, and as I bought the bike used I just ordered the factory owners manual so I can base line the suspension as per the instructions I got from cbr world but am still curious to know if anyone else has any ideas on this. My other problem is I am a little larger than most 600 riders 6' about 250lbs so everyone elses setup seems to be too lite for me. I know I am way to soft right now though because say normal ridind ie cruising down highway headlight centerline is just above bumper on car in front of me, crack throttle and with front wheel still on ground I am signaling air craft....... any ideas out there I would sure appriciate them.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
First off if you can't spell "gulp" then how can you tune your bike............. :D

Anyhow, seeing as I've just gone through setting up my F2 I think I've got a bit of a handle on these bikes.

There's a fine article at www.2wf.com that outlines the setup you want. The damping setup doesn't mean much just now but the instructions for setting the sag apply to any bike.

I found my F2 fork springs to be way too soft. You might be the same with your's. If you dial up your fork preload and still find that you seem to be getting too much front dive under hard braking then you may want to invest $160 in a set of Racetech springs. They come in a couple of different rates to suit each rider.

And watch for the announcement of the suspension clinic day I'm planning on hosting. It's coming soon to a driveway near you......

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Setting my static sag and fooling with the damping is something I've been wanting to do for a while. I've read that 2wf article and others like it. What I assumed would be complicated seems to be quite easy!

Sign me up for that clinic.

·
Registered
809 Posts
When u set up ur (race sag) or riding sag make sure u have all of ur gear on, helmet, leathers boots then have someone measure ur sag while ur on the bike, if u cant get the correct amount(and judging buy ur weight u will need the next stiffer spring) u can comprimise it by cranking up ur compression, but do so in small increments, and keep track on where u started from. This is not a solution but it will help u when u leave a light and when u exit a corner. I suspect u will need both a siffer front and rear spring.If u want to call a guy who will set u strait with suspension setting for u and ur bike call Mike Rensby of Pro Tech suspesion at 533-4426, he does all of my work on my race bikes, hell he may give u a deal on springs.

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok what do you expect from an auto mech as long as my service writer can read my work order........ :D I'm gonna go check out that link and if a suspension clinic happened on a weekend I'd ride over, got a couple of places to stay and could probably talk another guy or two into coming any learning experiance is worth the expense.

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well now I've read both sets of guidelines, ordered my manual just gotta rustle up a couple of neighbores some pizza and beverages ( no beer leads to no work) and have at it all the while saying over and over I think i can i think i can. Knowing what little I know now, I now understand why my bike handled funny when I picked it up, one of the preload adjusters was tighter??? than the other by two lines.......... see my other post on what would you do if you don't understand this comment....... hope this works without buying springs cause I bought this bike to ride too many other projects gobbling up time and money arrggg. Oh well even if it's handling is limited at least I'm in the wind till this winter then new sprins tires what ever...... I'll keep ya posted on how it works out

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Oops, I didn't notice where you lived.

For your weight I'd recomend the Racetech springs from the recomendation at their site. They have a couple of different spring weights and a calculator that tells you the best rate for what kind of riding you're doing. And then get a couple of riding buddies together and do the setup as per that site. You need the buddies because you have to sit up with your feet on the pegs and sort of bounce it around a bit to settle the stiction before measureing while a couple of them hold you up and th eother measures. Or you could do this next to a wall and just stick your knee out against the wall to balance while your buddy measures the sag.

Or if you want to come over we'd be happy to meet'cha...... :)

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any time you guys would be into a day?? training session or what ever you wanna call it I'd be in. Wanted to try for the dyno day but that was the day I picked up my bike and was trying to make it back to the island so I could get some other commitments taken care of.......... but any excuse for a ride or a weekend away ........:D Might even try for a day or so offf work as necessary..... training day yeah thats it.........well I've read and studied and now I'm gonna go try and set up my bike under the good enough for now heading....just gotta try and round up one friend.............DoctorP you dink why'd ya have to move to the mainland?

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
k my friends all suck and the next time one of them needs a tranny put back in their truck when I work till 10 on a Saturday then start their truck to finish it so they can go to work Sunday morning NO F#$$ing WAY ahhhh ...... with that vented couldn't really measure sag (don't try this without help!!!!) so I cranked up the preload (gonna need to look into springs) adjusted the damping as best I could...... one fork adjuster f.u.b.a.r'd will only do around seven clicks then starts to bind so I'm thinking new adjuster anyone know were I could find a good used one..... new springs might as well do fork seals and oil as well.......... but it's gonna have to wait till next weekend now cause I think it's good enough for my ride to Caramis this weekend....Once again thanks for the help so far and any more ideas out there pass them down .... man I miss the ease of setting up my Harley

heres a laugh the ideal rider weight for the stock spring s on my bike is 160lbs now fyi I am oh 90 or so more than that and the bike still goes like a scalded cat.........why would I need more????

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Click on over to Racetech and on the right side of the round picture there's a button called spring rate search. This takes you on a detailed journey where you enter your particulars and it spits out the recomendations and part numbers for the springs you need according to how you ride. It worked like a charm for my F2 so far.

And the Honda Power Center at 1st and Boundry can get them ordered in about a week to 10 days. Mine were $160. Trust me this is the best value for the dollar anyone with a slightly older bike or that doesn't fit the "normal" profile can spend. You'll wonder why you didn't do this year's ago.

From what I've seen of the F3 rear shock that I put on my F2 I wouldn't bother with the rear. Just dial up full preload and put the damping controls in the middle to 1/4 turn in from that and you'll be fine. That's what mine is set up for and it's pretty close.

C

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't use anyone elses suspension settings, unless they have the same riding style and are the same weight as me. After saying that, I started with set-up from performance bikes magazine that I found on the internet. Luckily they set it up for someone that weighs 180 lbs and I am between 180 and 185. After that I used some suggestions other articles I found online for some final tweaking. I think that the most important ( and easiest ) part of setting up your suspension is getting the preload dialed in correctly.

Some good resources are:

http://www.speedmadness.com/SuspSetupTips.html

http://www.thunderacers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=2

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My setup on the rear shock is almost identical....... by pure fluke, the front preload....... well everything I read said to make sure the same amount of adjuster was showing on each side......screw them in till where the wrench goes on is level with the top of the "cap" and a well although it seems to ride a little better I'm conviced that I'm going to have to inlist the help of my bike tech friend in making it passable till the bank account says I can buy new springs..........grrr anyways thanks again and hopefully I'll get this sorted out....... :( On the brighter side I no longer signal aircraft, and as my confidese(sp) with this bike increases my front tire gets lighter can't wait for practice night to finish dialing this in and try for some better hight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts