BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows much about suspension settings(particularly R6) because I want to soften my suspension but I'm pretty intimidated with the sophisticated look of my rear suspension. I'm pretty short and have some trouble at times backing my bike up(even with my steel toes on) so I figure if I soften my suspension I will have better traction with my feet. I know the suspension on my R6 is set to roughly 170lbs...I only weigh 150lbs. , will softening my suspension help???

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I don't think softening it will help, but you may want to practive walking with your bike.. backing it up while your not on it is much easier. Practice it a bit and take it easy if your not a huge guy because the bike while it is a light sportbike is still a few pounds, and I'd hate to have it fall over on ya.

The settings for your suspension don't raise or lower your bike any, they just change the feel of it.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I'm a pretty big boy myself and at times I dismount to back it into place (insert joke here:) ). I find it both easier and safer bacause I can tell where I'm backing the bike too. I back my bike up against a wall and I always feared banging up the tail.

atom

·
Registered
725 Posts
id agree with these guys, i have ridden bikes with lowered suspensions and lowered seats, they really alter the way the bike feels and i am sure it is the best for handling also

i am only five six and i have my r6s ride height raised for clearance

even though i can barely touch the ground i dont have any problems it just takes practice, like adam said practice pushing it around and dismount it when you have to park it, its much easier and safer

you can also pratice the kick stand swing to impress people:) it impressed smz

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When you do soften the suspension, remember to turn the screw very little. Believe it or not but a quarter turn makes a hugh difference. When i played with mine on my Triumph, actually Bruce did it for me, the bike was really stiff the back wheel was hopping around, he adjusted it only a quarter turn and it made all the difference in the world. Just make sure to mark where you started, so you can always adjust it back.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
You really don't want to let off the preload to lower the bike. The amount of sag for your weight is a critical setup item for making the bike handle. If you set the preload to lower the bike more then you're going to have lots of other problems show up when riding hard.

Just hang on. We're going to have a suspension setup clinic early in April once we are all insured. We'll do some homework and learn what to set our damping and preload to for each bike. Then we can all show Rossi what we're made of, right? :D

Oh and Digi168. It was more than 1/4 turn. IIRC those idiots at the dealership or the factory had left the compression setting about 1/4 turn from FULL HARD. It was no wonder you were bouncing all over the road like a ping pong ball. I seem to remember we wound it all the way in and then all the way out to find out how much travel there was and then set it to midway. You certainly had a bigger smile at the next stop.....

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
the kickstand swing is kOOL !!
hahahaha
put the kickstand down and put the weight of the whole bike on the kickstand and turn it.
it's great for getting out of parking spots

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess by the sounds of it I better start practicing my kick stand swing :laughing ...

Seriously though, thanks for the info guys...I will definetly be at that work shop.

·
[Oo=vw=oO]
761 Posts
R6Rider, I am approxiamatey the same size as you and rarely back up my bike for long lengths while sitting on it. It does take practice and you have just make sure ahead of time not to put yourself in a bad situation. I've heard of people replacing the seat to make you sit a little lower.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTI said:
R6Rider, I am approxiamatey the same size as you and rarely back up my bike for long lengths while sitting on it. It does take practice and you have just make sure ahead of time not to put yourself in a bad situation. I've heard of people replacing the seat to make you sit a little lower.
You know what thinking back on it now, a lot of times I've had trouble could have been easier if I would have thought about it a little more...you know, I couldn't have been just two inches taller:mad

:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
the kickstand swing is kOOL !!
it's great for getting out of parking spots
Just remember only do it on Japanese bike (kick stand made of steel), never do it on a Duc (it's aluminum) it'll snap. OTOH, if you're evil, do it in front of your Duc friend and tell them to do the same thing :evilgrin

·
Registered
725 Posts
xenz said:

Just remember only do it on Japanese bike (kick stand made of steel), never do it on a Duc (it's aluminum) it'll snap. OTOH, if you're evil, do it in front of your Duc friend and tell them to do the same thing :evilgrin
ya thats totally true, i guess thats why those bikes come with rear stands when you buy them, cause the kick stands suck so much, haha

and you really shouldnt be supporting the whole weight of the bike on ours too, just in case the kick stand collapses, i let the front wheel absorb a little of the weight, but this move is a necessity in my tight garage

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I see the guys at Carter Honda down in Granville Island do this all the time when they move bikes around...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You mean not everyone can flat foot when sitting on a bike?? ;) I guess thats one advantage to being tall.. I hit my head in doorways.. but I can back my bike up.

I've done the kickstand swing, I just don't like the stress it puts on the stand. The stands are designed to hold a bike up at a certain angle, not to support all the weight and apply a torque force. Any thoughts from the more experienced?

Jim.

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
suspension

That suspension get together should be pretty fun for all, I'm really looking forward to it.

I'd strongly suggest not using suspension to lower the ride height, the suggestion to modify your seat might be the way to go. I've thought of doing this myself as my bike is just a hair high for me.

Some pages on suspension that talk about the settings:

http://www.ansusa.com/SuspensionSetUp.htm
http://www.utahducati.com/page11.html

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When is this get together???

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Digi168 said:
When is this get together???
Around the first of April depending on when a weekend falls and the weather. In the meantime all of you can check out this link for basic concepts and the COOOOOOOOOOOLEST looking R1 on the planet;
http://www.2wf.com/articles/how_to/673D0947-3FD0-417D-9671-8AD39F35A8E9.asp

Yah, yah, Canadian Gixxer, I know, "what weather?", right........ :rolleyes

And some of you "youngin's" may not recognise that this color scheme pays homage to Yami's racing heyday of the two strokes and, I believe, Kevin Schwantz. Go do a search for TZ750 and you'll see some killer machinery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts