BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning on doing a bit of racing this year and i'm looking to upgrade my front suspension (springs/valves), what is a good entry level suspension? how much should i expect to pay? can anyone refer a good person/shop i should go to? any suggestions on things i should be aware of when getting this done?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
RMR suspension. It so happens that they are also a sponsor of the site.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Depends. What bike do you have that'll be seeing the track? Some need more than others. Some don't really need anything at all done other than tuning what you have already.

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
Defineately give RMR Suspensions a call, great guys to deal with, just had my front forks done for the RR, I took the forks in and I had them back 48 hours later......good pricing too.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
It really depends what you want out of the bike. How heavy are you and what bike are you going to ride? The springs usually make the biggest difference and then oil and valving. Most new and even intermediate racers wouldn't know good suspension if someone beat them over the head with it. I'm not saying that it isn't worth it but it's a luxury next to track time.

A good front end with springs and valving is usually 600-700. Shock is usually another 200-400. I highly recommend reading some suspension resources and checking your sag numbers. If they're close, I'd just ride the bike first and see how it feels.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a 03 cbr 954 and i'm just over 200lbs with all my gear. i tried to set the sag last year on a few of the track dayz but i'm just too heavy for the stock springs (i think) - i had to crank my preload all the way down and it still wasn't enough. other than RMR is there anyone else i should look into doing it? they want about a 1000 bucks for the full meal deal (springs/valves/oil).

·
???????
908 Posts
Just do springs. 954's forks are overdamped and undersprung, new springs and new oil should be more than enough. I'd spend the money on a new rear shock, that would be $ better spent IMHO.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Commuter Boy said:
Really? I know you're an old guy and all, but do they really help? :laughing

OOooooooo.... you are SO going to get it when I see you.... :evilgrin

:roflmao

Samson, Default has the gist of it. The biggest bang for the buck is to pony up for some fork springs. If you're going to get into track days and even some light duty racing then you really need to learn to do your own work if money is any sort of consideration. Credit Card Racing gets very expensive, very quickly.

Go to the Racetech website and do the online calculator for your bike, weight and riding style and it'll spit out the spring rate you need. Then go to the online catalog and get the model number for your bike. Then go order the springs and install them yourself. Buy a service manual if you don't have one already. And remember to hang up the front end from some handy rafter or something as when you take off the top caps the bike will collapse otherwise.

Honda Power Center at 1st and Boundry can get Racetech as can many other shops I'm sure. Change the oil but likely you'll want to just use the stock weight. Springs should not be more than $160 to $200.

F

·
0 Posts
if you guys have any suspension questions, you should talk to our newest staff member Roger Creixams.
He was previously a suspension engineer for SHOWA, having worked for
Nicky Hayden, Andrea Dovizioso, Yuka Takahashi, Fabrizio Lai, Gregoria Lavilla, Katsuaki Fujiwara, and Stephane Chambon.
If you guys have any suspension tuning questions, just drop by the store and talk to Roger or you can post or PM me and I will forward the questions to him.
Also thinking of holding a seminar/question session here with Roger at the store, think this is something you guys would be interested in attending??

jackie

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Go with race tech. It's easy to install and they work great.

I've seen lot's of good results using them and alot of so called experts just chang a few shims for your weight is just not the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts