BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
living the dream
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some SUV or CUV advice. Must get good gas mileage seat five and have all wheel drive or 4x4 system. Possible vehicles Mazda cx5, rav 4, kia sorento, rouge or others. Interested in your thoughts on this highly competitive segment.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Hows mpgs on new grand cherokees? Might as well not half ass it.

On a serious note. Look at toyota venza instead of rav4.

Parenta just got one. Took it for a spin and it was pretty hard to admit I actually liked driving it.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,268 Posts
Rav 4, CRV, CX5 - can't go wrong with either of those. The 'budget brands' have come a huge way lately, so you'll get lots of value there, too. I'd stay away from Nissan - generally cheap feeling/looking interiors, and the older cars had tons of frame rust problems (might not be the case with their modern SUVs).

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Hows mpgs on new grand cherokees? Might as well not half ass it.

On a serious note. Look at toyota venza instead of rav4.

Parenta just got one. Took it for a spin and it was pretty hard to admit I actually liked driving it.
My parents own the Venza and the RAV4. The Venza has 20 inch wheels which seem to claw at the truck ruts on the highway. The RAV is the latest model--excellent mileage, but i think the ride is a bit choppy, and I didn't find it particularly comfortable to drive. If I was shopping, I'd definitely be looking at the competition for both vehicles.

I'm a fan of wagons, though, so I'd be looking at a later model Outback or Forrester (cue the lesbian comments).

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have an Xterra (1 year old as of last week and bought it brand new) no complaints except for fuel mileage (~14L/100K) but it IS the pro4X model with LT tires and I drive like the four horsemen are chasing me. Awesome vehicle and the interior is fantastic (a touch utilitarian but that's partly why I wanted it) not at all cheap and ill-fitted as was suggested earlier but I can't speak for the smaller models.

·
15,773 Posts
i wasnt joking about Grand cherokee. their diesel is pretty damn good on fuel.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
My sister manages a body shop. She doesn't go on about stuff, but mention Kia,,,,and she won't stop. POS even now, all of them. And zero parts support.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
How much do you want to spend, out the door? The problem for a lot of these vehicles is the significant difference between the trim levels.

How much driving do you actually do? I thought I wanted a super fuel efficient vehicle, but then I looked at the amount of driving that I do, and it doesn't really make a big enough impact to actually care. I spend about $160 on premium fuel a month. I'd rather spend that in the vehicle I wanted than $120 a month on a more fuel efficient vehicle that wasn't fun, didn't go like shit when you need it to, and didn't have all the bells and whistles that I wanted.

·
15,773 Posts
yep

that's why i bought what i did.

4.7l of gas guzzling V8.

but it will tow a trailer full of bikes and 4 people in comfort if needed.

if we had transferable plates, or at least insurance on all vehicles up to a maximum value then it might of made some sense to buy a fuel efficient vehicle for regular driving, and a nice big truck for hauling shit.

but since we dont... any fuel savings are going to get wiped out by the insurance anyways.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
My baby RR can tow 1650lbs, not bad for a four-wheel drive 4 cylinder turbo that can do 0-100 in 6.7 seconds.

New 9-speed transmission improves fuel efficiently by 11%.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Are you looking for new or used BRETT? We have a 2007 Nitro purchased new and find it is decent for it's size on gas, pulls quite well and has lots of room.

But, being the domestic that it is there are issues with some cheap parts. Nothing outrageous if you're handy and fix things on your own. We've replaced two door handles and the main window/mirror switch cluster along with the rear hatch struts. Buying parts down south has saved us a bundle and we're probably into it for $500 since 2007 with the above items, brake pads and a couple new rotors on a California trip.

The wife likes the four wheel drive, stability protection and traction control in the winter with the snow we get. (I like turning it all off :) Towing is rated for our model at 5,000 lbs but it still turns well in parkades. I wouldn't get the 20 inch wheels. Tires are twice as much and the ride suffers. We have friends with the same vehicle and he just sold the 20's to get into 16's for better off road rubber.

It's not the best in the market but they're cheap and easy to fix. but of course, they don't make them anymore.

·
15,773 Posts
My baby RR can tow 1650lbs, not bad for a four-wheel drive 4 cylinder turbo that can do 0-100 in 6.7 seconds.

you actually paid money for evoque? a car designed by Posh Spice?

please surrender your balls if they arent already in a glass jar, hahahhahaa

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
you actually paid money for evoque? a car designed by Posh Spice?

please surrender your balls if they arent already in a glass jar, hahahhahaa
One of the best in its class...and if you really think Victoria Beckham is a car designer then you're more gullible than I thought. I don't need a 4.7L V8 to compensate for anything.

·
15,773 Posts
Thats what a ducaudi is for?

V8 just happened to be for sale. I would have bought a 6 if there was one. Still get 12l/100 on highway doing 100-110 kph.

Don't bother replying. I won't turn it into a shitshow.

On topic, diesel GC seems to have tons of goodies on paper as well as electro gizmos and crap like 8 speed tx.

If I could have found one of the earlier models I would have went for that.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
10 years testing cars, and this is what I have to say on the most contested market extant.

The Evoque is a great little vehicle that I'd love to own.

But, back on the topic at hand: Avoid Hyundai and Kia products like the plague and do not believe everything you read about them. The Koreans are putting forth a great show in terms of improved quality, but in the areas where journalists don't often peer, they're the same old shitboxes they always were and I'd hate to own one for more than three years. Honda's CRV and Toyota's RAV4 are bland and boring, and to be frank, a generation behind the Americans in even their most current iterations in both features and quality. You can dent every new Honda vehicle in their lineup with the pressure applied by a single thumb. In fact, the only Japanese product I'd seriously consider would be the CX5 in this class. Or perhaps a Suzuki Vitara, if any were out there for a steal; those things were very well made.

The reality is that the American brands offer more these days, with Chrysler trying hard and GM doing pretty well, but Ford takes the cake these days; you simply cannot do better than the new Escape in terms of modern crossovers. Drives great, handles like a car, still has all-road capability, and has some nice and innovative features. Beware though; they get pricey as you spec them up.

Alternative brands to consider include Subaru, and if within the budgetary constraints, a Range Rover Evoque or Volvo or some ilk. All solid options. Other European brands may seem decent, but an X3 will beat the crap out of you, Mercedes' GLKs may as well be Chryslers if you slide under one, and Audi Q3/VW Tiguan? Just check out the service costs on those suckers.

All that said, if it was MY money, I'd march down to Jeep and buy a new Wrangler Unlimited with the updated drivetrain. They are, in my professional opinion, the best vehicle on the market today. Relatively compact, decently economical, but with plenty of towing and cargo capacity they are the most practical and versatile vehicles on the road. Tell me, with what other vehicle can you A) tow a trailer, B) stick 5 people in relatively comfortable, D) carry a metric shitload of stuff inside, E) drive up any dirt road you might choose to explore, F) take hunting/fishing/camping ad nauseum, G) pop the roof off and cruise around in as a convertible on a nice summer day. For our climate of snowy winters, piss-poor road clearing, and hot summers, it's the only vehicle on the market today that I would be as comfortable driving the back of beyond in northern BC in the dead of winter as I would be driving around Stanley Park in mid-August.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
anybody own the new pathfinder? seems like pretty good price for the 4wd one. and it's big.
Yup. just picked up a top of the line Pathfinder Platinum last week. All i can say is its 100% Infiniti JX............beautiful interior, all the toys, BIG! And still shaking our head on how cheap it was............serious.......

But, for SUV's, my favorite is still the Acura MDX...........handles like a car, bulletproof, and after 6 years and 118,000kms, the leather interior is like new.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts

1650 Ibs doesn't seem like very much, you sure that's not in kilos? My Ranger has 6750ibs tow capacity.

And I bet I paid 1/3 the cost.

I've worked on RR's a lot. I will now refrain from comment due to concerns of being banned.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
1650 Ibs doesn't seem like very much, you sure that's not in kilos? My Ranger has 6750ibs tow capacity.

And I bet I paid 1/3 the cost.

I've worked on RR's a lot. I will now refrain from comment due to concerns of being banned.
Hmmm I googled it and I originally got 750 kg, but this site says 3500 lbs.

http://www.roverguide.com/8599/land-rover-towing-capacities/

The Evoque is a very capable vehicle off road too which I got to see at the complimentary Jaguar/Land Rover event at Mission. Got to do laps in the new F-Type and take the RRs off road. 90% of those capabilities will never be used though. This vehicle's purpose is to be a pavement princess.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts