BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a first time poster and was hoping to get an opinion from those who have more experience than myself.

I am a very new rider (bike + license + msf last summer). I picked up a Suzuki Bandit 600s as a starter bike, but have found it to be a bit too bit for my short 5'4" stature, plus due to its top heaviness I have problems picking it up by myself. I'm looking for something a bit smaller thats not a super sport, but do enjoy something sporty. LOVE the naked look of the sv650, but the sportiness of the 650s also catches my eye. Anyone riding the sv650, is it a full standard stature when you're sitting? Also how does it handle on longer trips? I'm going to be doing a lot of highway riding/touring and less using it for commuting in the city. And for the the 650s, is it uncomfortable on longer rides? Any personal opinions on its handling? I've been doing a lot of reading up on it, but I'd love some first hand insight.

Any insights anyone could offer would be great or any advice on other bikes similar to these worth taking a look at.

Thanks!

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
There isn't much of a difference. on the naked the bars are higher and the pegs lower, thus making it slightly more comfortable. both are great for a beginner and both are fine for long trips, my wife had a naked and we took many trips with it and she had no complaints. The suspension is pretty basic and soft, but a beginner won't be bothered much by it and the handling is decent enough. The main benefit of a naked for a beginner is less fairing to smash.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
My first bike was an SV650n. Put 23000km on it. Mostly long multi hour or multiday rides. Never had an issue and I am 6'2. Even with rearsets that stole a bit of leg room. They are great bikes that hold there value beautifully.

As mentioned there downfall is suspension, when you get good enough to notice spend a few dollars and get it sorted.

I regret selling mine.

·
Dam I got old fast
1,027 Posts
The advantage of the naked version is you can put on a set of handle-bar set backs for 70 bux or different handle bars to bring the controls closer to you and a set of lowering links is cheap at 50 bux to drop the seat height and you can set the bike up for yourself. Keep the stock parts for when you sell.

I'm 260 lbs and I love the motor and how it pulls, just a fun, reliable ride with a huge aftermarket to make the bike suited to yourself.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm a first time poster and was hoping to get an opinion from those who have more experience than myself.

I am a very new rider (bike + license + msf last summer). I picked up a Suzuki Bandit 600s as a starter bike, but have found it to be a bit too bit for my short 5'4" stature, plus due to its top heaviness I have problems picking it up by myself.
Resolve your "picking it up problem" by not dropping it in the first place.

And get a cobbler to add some platforms to your boots, ya shortass.

·
oh no, i've been spotted!
612 Posts
I learned on an sv650 naked, 28000km, nothing but good things to say about it. It's more top-heavy than my current GSXR, but not bad at all. Comfortable ride. Very minimal damage from when I low-sided it, had frame sliders and the worst damage was a bent handlebar that was easily straightened out.

·
Super Moderator
23,556 Posts
Same bikes, different ergos, chose what fits.

The naked will be the same riding position as your Bandit, and the S version, fair bit more aggressive, forward lean biased.

Good bikes either way.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I started on a 2005 sv650s - I still have it - the wife rides it now, and I still commute to work on it - too many mods to list, but I threw some springs up front with 20w oil, and a zx14 rear shocki in, and man, can it boogie in the twisties. IT has 40000kms now, and looks and runs like new - i have no plans on selling that bike......!!!

Back when she was new to me...PRE Mods.....

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
Hey guys,

I picked up a Suzuki Bandit 600s as a starter bike, but have found it to be a bit too bit for my short 5'4" stature, plus due to my top heaviness I have problems picking up myself. Thanks!
i blame my inane remark on bandito

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have an 07 "S". I hated the ergos, for me it got uncomfortable quickly so over the winter I have converted to the "N" which is significantly more comfortable. I'm sure I'll experience more wind blast on the highway but I think it will be a good trade off. I love the motor, it really hits the sweet spot between so small you get bored and too big for a beginner/novice. Handling isn't the best, it's no SS out of the box but suspension and tires can go a long long way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So the wife has a 2009 SV650s and we did lots to get it to your height.

The list of things that we started with was shaving the seat. That worked but was not good enough so we dropped it 2". That was the biggest improvement but now the bike look like a dragster so we stopped by RMR suspension and had Rod level out the bike. Everything was gravy except long rides since we had to shave lots out of the seat it became uncomfortable for day trips. A local seat builder added a gel insert and better foam. After all that we rode down to Laguna without any issues.

One thing if your worried about dropping the bike and not picking it up we purchased these:

http://secure1.netbilling.com/cs/st...905&store_id=644&pid=32433&act=product_detail

Now your bike is protected and it's at a higher angle to lift it up. Or you can do what the wife does and wait for a stranger to help :p

PM if you have any questions I think everything about modding an SV for a vertically challenged person has been covered.

GL

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hey guys,

I am a very new rider (bike + license + msf last summer). I picked up a Suzuki Bandit 600s as a starter bike, but have found it to be a bit too bit for my short 5'4" stature, plus due to its top heaviness I have problems picking it up by myself. I'm looking for something a bit smaller thats not a super sport, but do enjoy something sporty. LOVE the naked look of the sv650, but the sportiness of the 650s also catches my eye. Anyone riding the sv650, is it a full standard stature when you're sitting? Also how does it handle on longer trips? I'm going to be doing a lot of highway riding/touring and less using it for commuting in the city. And for the the 650s, is it uncomfortable on longer rides? Any personal opinions on its handling? I've been doing a lot of reading up on it, but I'd love some first hand insight.

Any insights anyone could offer would be great or any advice on other bikes similar to these worth taking a look at.

Thanks!
My wife rides a second gen SV-N right now. Before that she had a first gen SV-S. Needless to say, I've spent some time riding both bikes. She has spent a lot of time riding both bikes, long miles too. Last year we did a 7k km trip, sometimes riding 10-12 hours and she never complained. Not too much anyway. She is 5'11"+, I'm 6'. Both of us find both bikes pretty comfortable. However, I remember a friend of mine who's several inches shorter finding the S version uncomfortable. I think he might have been too stretched over the tank, I'm not sure.
That said, it really is the case of what you personally find more comfortable. Sit on both. They are very, very similar in every other way and both fantastic bikes. Being a new rider, the naked version will be easier to handle slow. It has more leverage. And it's probably easier to pick up.
That said, no matter which you end up getting, get some quality frame sliders. Get Motosliders. They are much better than the cheaper ones you can get. The SV-N she has now was down once(with yours truly riding :devillook), the cheap sliders that were on there broke off and ruined the radiator. It wouldn't have happened with Motosliders. On the naked one, the radiator will take the dive, on the S version it's the fairings. And either of those are way more money and hassle than good sliders.

·
Fuh-coffee we will go
3,776 Posts
I had an 05 S model. It was great for 15k, then i took a ride on a friends Tuono and I decided I needed more power.

I quickly sold the SV and got a B-King, that has pretty impressive torque but I still crave more. Acceleration is such a rush!

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
I currently have an "S" model, but I think the naked is a more versatile bike, and would be easier to ride--especially at lower speeds--due to the ergos. Great bikes either way, and I'd strongly suggest an ABS model if you can find one. Throw a little money at the suspension and some rider training, and an SV should keep you happy for a long time. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I had an 05 S model. It was great for 15k, then i took a ride on a friends Tuono and I decided I needed more power.

I quickly sold the SV and got a B-King, that has pretty impressive torque but I still crave more. Acceleration is such a rush!
LOL, has B-King... craves more torque.

CRAZY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, awesome feedback everyone! Except you Bandito, hahaha, what newbie do you know do you know that hasn't dropped their bike? But really though thanks everyone, you've given me some very good food for thought! While the S would be fun for those sportier rides, the N might be the better way to go (plus I absolutely lust over the look!).
Cheers!

·
Squid Launcher
539 Posts
I have the S as well and it's been an awesome 4 years and continues to be a great bike. There are also lots of aftermarket options to make that SV look great. I had the LSL Urban headlight on my SV streetfighter for a while it looked similar to this bike:

·
Fuh-coffee we will go
3,776 Posts
That looks pretty cool I must admit. Reminds me of a Dorsoduro I once had....

I have the S as well and it's been an awesome 4 years and continues to be a great bike. There are also lots of aftermarket options to make that SV look great. I had the LSL Urban headlight on my SV streetfighter for a while it looked similar to this bike:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts

How much work would be to do a headlight conversion from round one that nakeds have to something like this? i love this headlight and if I do get my naked, i would really like to do something like this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts