BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Dyno jet kit put in my SV on tuesday, and it is great. The power is so much smoother and the low end is a lot better (not that it was bad to start with). I just miss the surge of power at 5000rpm, because between 3-5000, the power is almost as high as 5000 up.

Also had the fork oil changed to 20wt with one extra shim, and the bike is much better balanced front and rear. And the forks were moved up the triple tree by a few mm and the steering is much more crisp. Kept the stock springs, they are working fine for me and my riding (i weigh 140)

All the work was done by bomax, and i'd have to say he doesn't BS you around like the dealer on commercial dr where i bought the bike. I'm sure the dealer would have wanted me to buy new springs, and whatever else, when i change fork oil is all that i needed.

Kudos to bomax

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket can on your bike?

Did you and I ride out to a demo-ride day in Langley last year? I had a blue SV650S at the time...?

·
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, i still have the stock can, bcuz of the cost benefit of a can. Cost a lot, not much performance to be gained. Althought your akropovic sounded AWESOME, but it just cost too much for a can.

And Yes we did ride out to Langley last year. Too bad about your SV, but i guess your happy with you FZ1 now.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
adamantium said:
I had thought SV's were injected bikes? No?
Nope, they have carburetors.

No doubt fuel injection would bump up the cost, and Suzuki wants to keep the SV relatively inexpensive.

·
ignorance + apathy
286 Posts
rockshoxbiker,

I'm planning to ask Bomax to do similar mod. on my bike.
Do you mind telling me how much it costed in total?

After "the forks were moved up the triple tree by a few mm",
would it change your riding position? do you have to lean forward more than the stock settings?

Thanks

·
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's not a drastic change from the stock geometry, the tubes were moved up about 2 or 3 mm, but it made it steer more crisp. With a little bit of counter-steer, the bike responds better. The whole thing cost me a bit over 200.

P

·
0 Posts
Good call on getting Bomax to do your work. John owned an SV for the better part of last years riding season and did the same modifications that you have on his old bike. (But he probably told you that already!)

·
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i've seen his old SV with the Jardine and it sounded awesome, but his fork set-up was much stiffer, and that would have been too much for me. The thing i really appreciate with bomax is his honesty. He told me to try the oil first, then if i want to tighten things up, he suggested i add shims, which would cost mcuh, and then new springs to the next level. If i had gone to a dealer, they would have for sure told me i need springs, oil, etc and charge me an arm and a leg... and not even explan everything to me like bomax does.

He basically found a set-up which matches my riding style just by listening to what i wanted

K

·
0 Posts
If it aint broke don't *@#$ with it

I have a 01 SVS with Arrow exhaust. went to go and buy a Suzuki jet kit and talked with the gentlemen. They asked me how the bike was running(backfiring and such), I said it runs great now. they told me that if is it running great with the carbs the way they are, the bike will probably run worse with the jet kit. I don't know that much about bike mechanics, and don't have any experience about carbs, so i went away.

My Question now is.......... Does anybody have a SV with exhaust that has tried with and without a jet kit???????????//

I don't want to spend the 80 bucks for a jet kit and have it make the bike all messed up or make no difference at all.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
I had an Akrapovic full system on my SV650. I rode around for several months (?) before installing a Dynojet kit.

The jet kit smoothed out the power a bit and got rid of the burbles and pops on deceleration. I don't think it did a whole lot other than that.

You can see a before/after dyno run at http://www.bcsportbikes.com/photopost/index.pl?photo=350

IIRC, there's a poor-man's carb adjustment available by shimming the needles (ie. you don't have to buy a jet kit, but you still have to pull the carbs apart a little).

Check out svrider.com. It is an excellent SV650 website and includes a searchable mailing list. For sure someone has an exhaust just like yours.

Final comment: if you are happy with the way the bike runs now, are you willing to spend $100+ on the installation of the jet kit, just to find it doesn't do much? Sounds like you are happy to leave things the way they are.

G

·
0 Posts
the jet kit will smooth things out for you,my old sv ran fine without the kit also,but after i installed it ,it just felt better,not so much power ,just smoother,talk to the sv owners on the site .good luck, john:thumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts