BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 05 SV out of storage at the end of February and changed the oil filter to a K&N chrome and did a full oil change (with kawasaki full synthetic*). I put in about 2.2L, ran it for a bit, saw that the level was at low and put it about 200 ml more till it was at the full line.

Anyway, I've been using it lots since then (300 km) and I started it up last week and it was making a weird rattling sound when I revved it as it was warming up. I checked the oil level and there was NOTHING in the oil sight. I was confused, as no oil was leaking out mid-ride or on the cement where she sits at night. I put in 400 ml till she was full again (so she lost 400 ml in a week) and went about my business, but recognized it was odd.

Just went to start her up and the oil level again is nonexistent. How does this happen? Is it burning oil somehow? I don't remember this happening last year, but I only bought it at the end of Oct 09 and winterized it in the beginning of December. Any ideas? Big time problem?

*could the Kawasaki oil be an issue? The filter?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
At the risk of sounding condescending......I assume you are starting it up, letting it run for a bit, shutting it off, then putting the bike level, and waiting for the site glass to fill?

If you start the engine, and check while running, the oil will generally splash around, and be pretty much invisible in the sight glass.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
could the Kawasaki oil be an issue? The filter?

Thanks in advance
I remember reading anecdotal reports awhile back about some bikes not dealing well with synthetic oil / having excessive loss or burnoff. Is it the bike? Is it the oil? IDK either way.

Try a dedicated SV riders' forum. There are members there who undoubtedly have tried damn near everything in their bikes. Post back what you find.

good luck,

:flashy

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
Having owned an SV myself, I can say they are not known for oil issues.

The first-gen had quite a number of leaks around the clutch cover, as it's plastic, and can warp, but other than that, it's a pretty tight little motor.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Burning oil that much (400ml / 300km), you will smell it.

my 06 SV (35k when I sold it last year) never leak any oil, maybe used 100mL per 3000km. Synthetic oil + K&N filter. Did you check your coolant? Any sign of oil in there?

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
In the original post it's said that a complete oil change was done and 2.2 liters of oil was added.... Is 2.2 the capacity of the sump?

I suspect that the OP did not completely fill it the first time... but I have no idea what the sump capacity of a SV 650 is but I would think it's more than that..

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
In the original post it's said that a complete oil change was done and 2.2 liters of oil was added.... Is 2.2 the capacity of the sump?
2365 ml (2.5 qt / 2.9 qt w/filter change)

My guess, he/she is not checking the oil level correctly, perhaps while engine is running or not level.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
I would go pickup an OEM filter, and throw that K&N piece of shit in the
garbage.

Drain the oil completely. Confirm the required amount of oil when changing
filter also. Confirm oil viscoscity. Synthetic is fine.

Fill the bike with the required oil. Run the bike.

READ THE MANUAL on HOW to check the oil level on the bike correctly.
The bike most likely should be perpendicular to the ground and not on
the sidestand.

If you are losing that much oil in such a short distance, there is something
EXTREMELY wrong. A major oil leak would be very apparent when hot...
or you are burning a huge amount of oil for some reason and need to
stop riding the bike and have it looked at by a proper mechanic before
you completely blow it up.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
2365 ml (2.5 qt / 2.9 qt w/filter change)

My guess, he/she is not checking the oil level correctly, perhaps while engine is running or not level.
Exactly.

Given the above, the change WITH filter they did was 1/2 quart low to
start with.

It should be all in the owners manual, or a service manual that everyone
should own with their bike. If you just look at the 2400ml on the crankcase,
that doesn't tell you the full story.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly.

Given the above, the change WITH filter they did was 1/2 quart low to
start with.

It should be all in the owners manual, or a service manual that everyone
should own with their bike. If you just look at the 2400ml on the crankcase,
that doesn't tell you the full story.
Haha, I definitely was checking with bike off and level, but that's a good point anyway. My volume numbers were a bit off; I put in about 2300ml the first time, started it, turned it off, saw it was at low, added about 4/500 ml till it was at the full line (which sounds like that's a bit low still, so probably the problem there). However, I recently checked again (few weeks post-change) and the level was again below the "low" line in the sight.

Anyvayyy, I'm going to buy a manual and den change the oil with something else and see what happens. Thanks for the quick replies mates!

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Top it up to full and then come back 1/2 hour later, without running the bike and check the level.

I use the same Kawi oil, no problems there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I took my 05 SV out of storage at the end of February and changed the oil filter to a K&N chrome and did a full oil change (with kawasaki full synthetic*). I put in about 2.2L, ran it for a bit, saw that the level was at low and put it about 200 ml more till it was at the full line.

Anyway, I've been using it lots since then (300 km) and I started it up last week and it was making a weird rattling sound when I revved it as it was warming up. I checked the oil level and there was NOTHING in the oil sight. I was confused, as no oil was leaking out mid-ride or on the cement where she sits at night. I put in 400 ml till she was full again (so she lost 400 ml in a week) and went about my business, but recognized it was odd.

Just went to start her up and the oil level again is nonexistent. How does this happen? Is it burning oil somehow? I don't remember this happening last year, but I only bought it at the end of Oct 09 and winterized it in the beginning of December. Any ideas? Big time problem?

*could the Kawasaki oil be an issue? The filter?

Thanks in advance
Dont know if this contributes at all, but my 02 FZ1, a model known for eating a lot of oil, does consume MORE when using full synthetic, than when I use semi synth or mineral. Seems that yamalube mineral is the one that has been less consumed, dont know why... So it maybe that using synth is making the oil consumption MORE notable to you than before maybe? just a guess..

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
make sure handle bars are pointed straight, not locked to the left. find the balance point(where you barely need to push or pull on the handle bars to see the oil, find that point of 'supporting the balance point') when your looking through the eye glass.

take your time, check oil, add oil, run the engine for 3-5 minutes at idle, turn it off. leave the bike for a good 5 minutes come back and re check oil level. When I do my oil changes it takes me 30-45 minutes even tho ive done the last 5 on my bike. I just get really picky and second guess myself.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Balance can be a little precarious when doing this, so put your kickstand down, and if you feel the bike slipping away, guide it toward the stand side.

*whew! We're making this sound pretty complicated, aren't we?

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Check your airbox.
Very good suggestion, this will tell you if your engine is suffering from crankcase pumping losses. If there is a lot of oil in your airbox it would be indicative that the compression and oil control rings have some kind of issue dealing with the oil you're using.

Just another possibility.:tredmill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts