BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious what people recommend on how often to do a synthetic oil change?

Thanks.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dn_zx7r said:
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious what people recommend on how often to do a synthetic oil change?

Thanks.
depends.... on older bikes... like mine i guess.... more often than on newer bikes.... am i right??..... :D :confused

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
synthetic oil changes?

I run Motul and change oil and filter at 8K...............ken.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You change every 8000km? I would of that that is a little too long. I was thinking more of between 4-5000km?

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
oil is oil is oil. The additives are the long chain molecules that get broken down. If you think you can leave synthetic in there longer you are mistaken. The oil still gets very dirty and acidic over time, but the additives last much longer or withstand higher strains over the same period as regular oil. There a remany differing opinions and studies done on oil etc. Everyone will have their own opinion, so take what you learn and apply it to your circumstances. Money, age of bike, wet or dry clutch, 2500ml or 4800ml sumps, ease of changing etc are factors as well.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
synthetic oil changes?

When I used mineral based oil,I always changed oil and filter at 10K,I`ve been using synthetic now for 10 years and in my 21 years of owning bikes have never had an oil related problem.I personally don`t feel the need to change more often except if you`re racing,live on dirt roads or do alot of short hops.JMO.................ken.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I change my oil as recommended by my Honda service manual. (I figure they know when it needs changing). I use the Pro-Honda HP4 semi-synthetic oil - probably doesn't help much (but it makes me feel better).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I start thinking about changing the oil at 4k kilometers. I usually get to it by the time 5k rolls around. I use Motul semi-synthetic because its available everywhere in the local motorcycle shops.

Everytime I change the oil it shifts super slick for about 1000 kilometers, then it gets chunky again for the rest of the 3000km's. My bike is a 93 with 40,000kms on it and it still pulls 88-89 HP so the guy before me probably took care of it.

Does anybody have any experience with actually making the switch over from mineral, or semi-synthetic to full synthetic. If anybody has, I'd love to hear the feedback. i.e. is there improved shifting and/or longer lasting improved shifting. Any disadvantages to full synthetic other than the increased cost?

I've heard rumours that the gunk that helps to seal the rings will become dislodged and lead to a leaky engine.

p.s. Anybody know where to buy Mobil 1 motorcycle oil around here?

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
I did some math one day on how much it costs for synthetic in a car. If you save the money and go with regular oil and put the left over in a coffee can or piggy bank you'll EASILY have enough to rebuild your motor long before you'd prolly need to. This is for a car though. No oil starving wheelies in a car....

·
Slow
271 Posts
Sewman said:
I've heard rumours that the gunk that helps to seal the rings will become dislodged and lead to a leaky engine.
What exactly do you mean - synthetic leads to leaky seals?

I found something interesting when my bike sprung a leak recently where the oil pan meets the case:

The bolt near where the leak was coming from was a little looser than the rest but I don't think it was ready to fall out.

I've got 30K on the bike and I switched to full synthetic at 10K.

Interestingly I also found that the leaking oil was washing the built-up chain lube/dirt crap off the inside of my side fairing.

I know oil has cleaning stuff added ... but enough to eat seals away?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
This is all hearsay and Internet(read: untrustworthy) information. I've heard that when you run a motor for a long time using regular oil, gunk gets built up over the years. Regular oil is a certain viscosity and will carry some of the gunk away. As the years go by, that built up gunk helps seal the engine. When you switch to a synthetic oil, different viscosity levels are introduced. I'm not sure where this myth leads, but it goes something like: the gunk is cleaned up a little exposing leaks; or the oil is now slippery enough to get through where regular oil wouldn't have.

Now, this is all completely an urban legend and I'm hoping there is someone out there that can shoot this little story down, because It doesn't really make sense and I don't believe it. Thats the gist of what I've heard and the only reason I haven't tried synthetics.

My opinion is that switching to a full synthetic while you already have a leak will increase the leaking. If the damage hasn't already been done to the point where the engine blows blue smoke then full synthetics will not actually cause a leak.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
oil is oil is oil.

Once again the only synthetic part of the oil is the additives. They take much longer to break down. The oil's base is still the same. All petroleum based motor oils start with the same bases. Then additives such as anit-wear and detergent agents are added. These are what separate the two types. And yes you can mix and match oil types. Just do not to mix and match viscosity grades.

Now esther based oils are a different comparison. Silkolene is one. These are generally refererred to as aircraft oils. Expensive but quite impressive.

Changing you oil more often with ANY acceptable type is better than going longer with synthetic. To a point...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts