BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about rounding up some freinds in july or august for a ride to Canada since most of us havent been there. Does anyone know what we have to do to be legal to enter Canada on our bikes? Toronto is kinda close to us so maybe a ride there. If anyone would like to sugest a date we would love to meet up with as many riders as possible. But if anyone can help let us know what we have to do to be able to ride our bikes across the Canadian border let me know and if its not too much hassel Ill start planing a ride to Toronto.

P.S. Thanks for any help on this matter! :thumbup :rider

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH by the way we'll be coming from the Chicago area.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
add snow tires. remove gun racks.
if you've been across in a car, it's the same deal for a bike.

geography lesson: we are about 2000 miles west of you. chances are slim of a big meet.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah..dont bring guns..lol
get a passport...
uh...yeahh...lol

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
driver's license. bikes registered in your own name. don't bring your guns. don't bring fruit or meat. a felony record can make it difficult. presenting a passport makes things run a bit smoother but it's not necessary for entering Canada as a U.S. citizen. Be prepared to show your ID.

Here are the questions you'll get asked at stage 1 (roadside):

Where do you live?
What is your citizenship?
Where are you travelling to?
How long will you be in Canada?
Are you the registered owner of your vehicle?
Do you have any firearms with you?
Do you have any tobacco or alchohol?
Do you have any fruits or meats?
What is the value of any gifts you're bringing into Canada?

Be prepared to answer these questions politely and without hesitation. Bringing in firearms, alchohol, tobacco, certain food products, having been in proximity of a farm within the last 6 weeks, entering without proper ID, not being able to prove permanent residence in your home country, not being able to prove permanent employment in your country, bringing in items of high value as a gift or monies over $10,000 or plans to stay in Canada for longer than 6 months without a work permit or visa will cause you to proceede to a stage 2 interview (park your vehicle, step inside the customs office).

Stage 2 is when they yank you inside and stick a finger up your ass. You want to avoid stage 2.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
^ depends on the time of day and what brand of gum she/he chews. Its not THAT bad.

General questions will be asked, no guns or drugs of course.

Where are you planning on crossing the border? The speed limit in Canada is generally 90 kph on the highways, probably better to stay in the US as much as possible. Riding in Toronto isnt all that great, staying in the outlying areas is where the best rides are.

Try finding a Toronto area sportbike club, we are from the west coast (North of Seattle).

·
Registered
991 Posts
Watch out for dogsleds... those guys are just plain ruthless when they get on the road.

Oh! Our igloos melt in the spring so we can build wooden huts so the road is flooded march / april.

;) Just playin with ya

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool thanks for the input and Ive been by Canada in seatle we were going to go there when I was in seatle but then we got to drinking and lost motivation. lol but thanks for the input.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey 1 more question what about rocket propeled granades? are those ok? j/k thanks

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
Sure are. We use them ourselves to ward off Abominable Snowmen that attack from the north......

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
If you wanna ride some good roads head west..... all the way west until there is no more land. Toronto your going to get stuck in freeway traffic... something your probably already doing in Chicago.

I love Chicago I've had some great times there.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get yourself some + health insurance just incase

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Don't forget to hit the button on the bikes to switch to our metric system. 90kmph is not even remotely the same as 90mph. :coffee

Enjoy your trip and have a safe ride!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love being a Canadian citizen coming BACK into Canada. Oh god, it is priceless. They don't ask me anything, I don't even present my ID usually. It's sort of freaky to be honest, lol!

·
Registered
978 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
I love being a Canadian citizen coming BACK into Canada. Oh god, it is priceless. They don't ask me anything, I don't even present my ID usually. It's sort of freaky to be honest, lol!

its the exact opposite for me...i never get questioned going into the usa but coming back its always present youd id please sir step out of the vehicle open up your trunk do you have any narcotics on you sir? did you buy anything? where are your receipts please park your car and come inside

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
FUN4SOME51 said:
I was thinking about rounding up some freinds in july or august for a ride to Canada since most of us havent been there. Does anyone know what we have to do to be legal to enter Canada on our bikes? Toronto is kinda close to us so maybe a ride there.
Since you live in Chicago, I would suggest heading north and crossing over to Sault Saint Marie. Basically go up along the western side of Lake Michigan head past Mackinaw Island going north to the border. Highway #1 west of the Soo (Sault Ste. Marie) for the first few hours is some of the most majestic jaw dropping scenery in North America as you head towards Wawa. Big sweepers but watch out for Moose. They are really bad through there and will charge vehicles at 70mph. They are fuckers. If you head east from the Soo you will go through Sudbury and then North Bay. I would head north from there to go throug the Temagami region towards Timmins (spelling). Gorgeous back country up there. We refer to it as "the Canadian Shield".

Don't head through to Detroit and then over to Toronto. Shitty riding except for a small amount of pretty farmland in the Niagara Escarpment. Zero interest if you are on a bike looking for twisties.

Do some reading up on the areas I mentioned to get you more familiarized with "North of Superior" and "Northern Ontario".

I lived in Northern Ontario during my teenage years. You will have fun.

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts