BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone with any expeirence with tank bags could tell me pros or cons between magnetic or stap tank bags...
muchly appreciated....

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I've got an Ortlieb bag with a magnetic base. Easy off and on for gas or stops. Doesn't fall off.

You have to watch that no pebbles or grit stick to the magnets and then scuff the tank though.

·
Worst. Passenger. Ever.
943 Posts
some tanks are plastic so a magnetic bag wont work.

isnt sand usually some sort of silica compound? (eg non magnetic). not sure how many ferrous pebbles are around either. in any case i havent had particles that have stuck to my tank bag because of magnetism. just make sure you're not tossing the contact side of your tank bag into dirt or whatever.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Tail bag on the rear saddle is my choice. Regardless of how clean you think you're keeping the bag and tank road dust and other grit gets on there and the magnets straps or just pad shifts around and at the very least a dull hazing of fine micro scratches is the result.

I know I'm a luddite about it but as far as I'm concerned tanks are not intended to be luggage racks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had a magnetic bag, worked well. Downside, when I was carrying the bag from the bike to the bank machine I demagnetized by debit card in my pocket. Also, small pieces of grit stuck to the bag and rubbed the paint on the tank, leaving small pits.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Tank bags? What is this, 1992?

Fringe leather saddle bags with big metal conches. Ask yourself what Renegade would use!

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
03terminator said:
I had a magnetic bag, worked well. Downside, when I was carrying the bag from the bike to the bank machine I demagnetized by debit card in my pocket. Also, small pieces of grit stuck to the bag and rubbed the paint on the tank, leaving small pits.
Hmm I have't noticed this problem yet but I'm starting to worry.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Tattoodles said:
Tank bags? What is this, 1992?

Fringe leather saddle bags with big metal conches. Ask yourself what Renegade would use!
Lah de dah saddle bags, what is this L.A.? Just give up now and bolt the milk crate on in place of the passenger seat. You'll never have a date.

I don't "like" tank bags myself but on a day trip I sometimes have to give in. I find it pushes me too far back from what I like. OK on the VTR, but not the RC. Tail bags for my current bike are a bit hideous. Most of the time it's a backpack for me.

·
No bike for now...
890 Posts
Magnetic bags are easy-on, easy-off. Best way to go. I take a millisecond to check for dust/grit before I put it on and have never had any scratches.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
I'm with Frank. I have a beautiful Frank Thomas bag that fits my bike like a glove. I cut the strap off it (most magnetic bags come with one strap that can go around the headset "just in case"). The magnets hold it on the bike better than I could with my hands. In fact, my wife was using the bag on her bike when she dropped it, and it didn't come off the bike.

2 seconds on, 2 seconds off. Best way to travel when carrying small things. (mind you, I now have a Givi toprack, and ride around with a trunk instead most of the time...)

·
Still learning to ride
37 Posts
I have used both magnetic and strap on tank bags. Currently I am using a mag on my VTR. I have my radar dector in the map section of the bag, spare gloves, rain gear, and alternate visor for my helmet in the bag. I like the bag in front where I can see it - not off to the side where it can lock up the back wheel (I have seen this just about happen). I find a back pack more painful used for a day on my bike that I day hiking - I guess it is the limited movement on the bike. Even on 20 minute ride to work if I carry my rain gear = no rain. Weather changes quickly and frequently in the Okanagan. In my case I prefer to be a boy scout.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I went through this last season before a trip to Okanagan. I was fairly sold on the magentic because of the popularity other riders voiced from this site. But after getting a Joe Rocket magnetic tank bag I was sold. Pit stops for gas or food made quick on/quick off a breeze. I like having the bag on a tank (versus tail or saddle), as it's comforting to know its still there. The magnets WILL hold. This was my biggest hiccup. Fully loaded and off the Penticton I hadn't an issue the whole way. If I could go back, I wouldn't. I'm happy with the magnetic version. And additionally, the straps will scratch/wear too. Don't let that arguement sway you.

Happy shopping ......

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a magnetic tank bag but I use the it as a tail bag fastened to the rear seat by 2 bungee cords criss crossed. I have never lost it and it is solid never moves. It sure prevents any damage to the tank and its nicely out of the way. Combined with the saddle bags I have for long trips it looks like the three bag system you can by for alot more than what I paid.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
My magnetic tank bag came off in a crash. And that was after I was convinced I could lift the bike with it. The magnets aren't guaranteed retention.

But sometimes they're nice to lie on during long highway runs.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
cyclestarter said:
That's a weird statement to make? I'd come off too if I were in a crash !
Just responding to those who believe that the magnets are strong enough to keep the bag on the bike in a crash.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Well, they held the bag on when my wife went down. But I didn't mean to imply that they would do that in every crash... Hers was a low-speed lowside.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Givi has a really nice suction tank bag without straps. Might want to check it out.

·
BC Riders.net
1,061 Posts
From all the responds above I understand that the magnetic tankbags now a days are way better (rare earth magnets?). Years ago I had a magnetic tankbag and it started sliding to the "down hill" side in a sharp corner. It scared the [email protected]$# out of me because I had to grab it in the middle of that turn on the highway. But other then that, for easy on and off, I loved it.
May be I should buy one again :laughing ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have an Oxford humpback and it rocks. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Very strong magnets and high quality.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts