BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
big shout out to Mark Meadley and his crew at Classic Collision on Pemberton Ave in North Van. there was rust starting to show on the underside of the tank on my CB1000R - not what you'd expect from a Honda, but there you go! the tank got thoroughly de-rusted; prepped; epoxied; basecoated; painted; and top coated. looks superb! ..and this afternoon, I treated it to a layer of Meguiars carnauba, and got it back onto the bike. come on, sunshine...

Reactions: mehwish.yati

·
lover of twins
6,185 Posts
Wow, that's surprising. Did you think about cleaning up the rust yourself and just respraying the bottom or were there scuffs/damage on the topside as well?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ heh heh. not on a bike, but air cleaner on a car... mouse... the tape was just insurance...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that's surprising. Did you think about cleaning up the rust yourself and just respraying the bottom or were there scuffs/damage on the topside as well?
I thought about it, of course, but amateur paint jobs are... amateur. I have no plans to switch rides anytime soon, so the investment made sense to me. $1083 incl taxes, which is not cheap, but in line with what I expected. there was just under 4 hrs of prep and just over 5 hrs of finishing involved, plus various materials.

I've rattle-canned numerous projects before, but this one exceeded those capabilities.

·
backslider
11,369 Posts
Um - Don - tape won't deter mice for even a second (they'll chew through 3/4" thick wood in an hour) ... you would need to place a piece of wire mesh over it to be sure ... and, the same goes for your air in-take portal at the front (an air-box is apparently a wonderful place within which to raise a mouse family)

·
Registered
2 Posts
big shout out to Mark Meadley and his crew at Classic Collision on Pemberton Ave in North Van. there was rust starting to show on the underside of the tank on my CB1000R - not what you'd expect from a Honda, but there you go! the tank got thoroughly de-rusted; prepped; epoxied; basecoated; painted; and top coated. looks superb! ..and this afternoon, I treated it to a layer of Meguiars carnauba, and got it back onto the bike. come on, sunshine..
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Fender

Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Here is hydro dipping spray paint you can try for it.
I recently used rattle cans to repaint my 2009 CBR600RR, so I can offer some advice. Originally black with red accents, the bike is now Electron Blue Pearl.

Gather all of your belongings first. To keep your garage tidy, I strongly advise investing in some plastic painter's tarps, a respirator, and a spray handle made for rattle cans. Sandpaper, paint, and perhaps a few fresh towels are all things you'll need. Then, I went ahead and took apart or removed every component I intended to paint. No masking or painting the motorcycle. Removed all labels, stickers, and other non-direct plastic items.
I then set up "stands" for the props for each piece. These so-called "stands" were actually just random items I had lying around that I didn't care to paint, like a few cinder blocks, an empty 12-pack of Coke, some plastic containers, etc. They only needed to hold the components in the air so I could spray all the necessary surfaces without having to touch or move the objects.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts