BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be better to tap a hole for an oil drain plug or put a heli coil in there?

The drain pan is steel, and the drain bolt goes in there, but not smoothly and i'm replacing the oil pan gasket, so now's a good time to fix the hole.

Also, anyone know where i can take the pan to get it done?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
I'd probably try to run the tap through there (at the original thread pitch & diameter) first, just to see if that cleans up the threads to resolve the issue.

If it's still a problem after that, then I'd probably tap a new sized hole.

·
Registered
292 Posts
from what i can remember i needed to tap the hole then installing the helicoil for a stud that popped out before. I can't remember off the top of my head (my handy book is at work) but i think using the same diameter tap and correct pitch to clean the hole then installing a helicoil. maybe the next sized helicoil might fit better in the hole? I will comment more when i'm 100% sure

R

·
0 Posts
If your just tryin to clean the threads, chase a tap into the hole. If its beyond that and it is a steel pan, why not drill out the hole so its smooth and clean, weld up the hole solid, then drill and tap a fresh hole the same size as the original??
Thats what I would do.... :coffee

D

·
0 Posts
if there is a lot of meat left in the threads, tap it clean. if it's been cross threaded and there is nothing left, go helicoil. you can get a tap at cdn tire, kms tools, or princess auto. helicoil kits are still DIY, but you will need a drill and some other tools to do it. helicoil is probably another cdn tire trip. pretty sure pa doesn't sell those.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
If the plug goes in a little roughly, then the threads are probably just damaged slightly. Run a tap through and I'm willing to bet that will fix it. Then thread the plug in, torque it, and if it torques up alright without stripping you're good to go.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
** Key Insert **

Like everyone else has said so Far Try and clean up the thread's with a Tap.
If that doesn't work you are better off to use a ** KEY INSERT ** rather than a ** HELI COIL ** ( SEE Attached Image ) The key insert is locked in place after installation by driving in the FOUR lock pins. And is A PERMINANT
Fix . A heli - coil is Ok if you use it in a Place where a bolt or stud is installed
where it does not get removed on a Regular basis, Not like a Oil Pan bolt where you will be removeing it from time to time for oil Changes. After a while the HELI - Coil can loosen up and you are Back to Square One.
If you PM me I can get you one if needed .
hope this helps.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Heli Coil's

Here is What can Happen to a Heil Coil After A bolt is removed from it .
( EVEN after it Was installed With LOCTITE 271 )
Check out the KEY INSERT'S on the Left !! They will never Come Out .

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Accessory Drive

This is Where an ACCESSORY bolts on And Has to Be REMOVED for PERIODIC
inspection, The Heli - coli's are replaced as needed or anytime it need's servicing.
Bolt's are Properly torqued and LOCK WIRED on . The damage to the Heli Coil
happens when the Bolt is Removed.The Key Insert's solve the Problem.
The Case Half is MAGNESIUM.

S

·
0 Posts
never seen those inserts before. what's the procedure for install on them? do you tap or just drill a hole and punch them in? distributor?

edit: i don't mean the heli-coils but rather the four pronged ones. i've never had a problem with heli-coils but it's all small torque stuff on bikes anyways that usually goes.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
If the pan is off get the hole welded and retap it....or weld a nut behind the worn hole so you have even more threads.....

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Mr.Sushi ya ha said:
If the pan is off get the hole welded and retap it....or weld a nut behind the worn hole so you have even more threads.....
Welding a nut in is a good idea, but you might want to weld it in *front* of the hole in this case, otherwise you'll never completely drain your oil pan when doing a change... :)

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
** Key Inserts **

ssblade said:
never seen those inserts before. what's the procedure for install on them? do you tap or just drill a hole and punch them in? distributor?
Fairly Easy BLADE , Just Drill and Tap , The O/D is a Standard Thread Size ,
After Drilling and Tapping You can Put a Bolt in them , Tighten it Down on the Key's and Thread it In . Take out the Bolt And drive in the Pins with a PIN PUNCH.
They are Made of ** 303 ** Stainless. There is an install tool you Can buy to install them , It Screws them in And then you tap the End of the Tool with A Hammer and it Drives in the Pin's All in One GO.
We get them From ** INTERAFAST ** they are Local , I Will PM there Contact Info Tomorrow when I get Back to work.
They also Come in DASH sizes, They increase the O/D to a Larger Size to Suit A badly Worn Hole.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Metric !!!!

They come in Both STANDARD UNC / UNF and METRIC coarse and Fine pitch.

I will post up some Pictures Tomorrow of an oil Drain / Fill repair to a
Gear - Box useing a Flanged type insert.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Thread Forming

Mr.Sushi ya ha said:

Forming thread's Through Weld Build up Is not a good way to do this type of repair , With weld there is always a Possibility of POROSITY and forming thread's through Porosity just makes them weak and can cause leaking, Especially in An oil Pan Where the Parent metal Can be Contaminated.
Putting Heat into a thin walled Oil Pan can also Cause Warpage and Distortion.

** I guess if I was Repairing damaged thread's on my WHEL BARROW ** it would be OK , But not on an ENGINE or Gear - Box PART.

JUST my TWO CENT'S.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
As mentioned in a couple of the replies helicoils are not good for stuff that has to go in and out a lot. Also helicoils require special custom taps. They are NOT just the next size up.

Frankly I'm not a proud sort and if I had the next size up tap and bolt I'd have no qualms about just doing it to the new size. Far easier than the insert or trip to see someone with a welder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts