BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tar snakes are a nick name for the tar lines in the road used to patch cracked roads. They look black and a very slippery.

To my point: We practice safety skills like thresh hold breaking, looking into the corners, one or more fingers on the clutch/ brake levers all the time ect..... I suggest riding on the tar snakes.

For safety reasons, I practice riding on the tar snakes to become accustomed to the feel of it. Sounds dangerous eh? So is threshold brakeing in traffic.

What I suggest is try riding on a short tar snake at a time, to further minimize the danger, try it at 50 km, on a quite road, in a straight line. ( I suggest Renfrew st. from 1 st. ave all the way down to mc gill st. cause it's wide and can be few cars)

Why would I risk this your thinking? Have you ever accidently rode over one? Are you so paranoid of them in a corner that you freeze up when you see them?

Then you know they upset the bike a far amount, I suggest you practice getting use to them in a controlled situation.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Riding instructor! I've got 13 years riding experience only. Don't attempt this if you are not comfortable or competent on your machine pls ride safe!

Finally If you have any constructive feedback I'd be happy to hear it.

·
Vicious Little Tree Rat
4,393 Posts
I'd go and step on one first just to feel what they're like underfoot, especially on a hot day. That way you'll be prepared when your tire steps out.

I stepped on one crossing the street once and I almost kissed pavement. They're like goo!

KNOW THY ENEMY!!!
:p

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,516 Posts
They're extra slippery right now 'cause of the summer heat.
Not a motorcycle friendly way to patch up roadways.

M

·
0 Posts
westminster hwy westbound between shell and garden city...around there. right lane, position 1............nice LOOOOOOOONG ones there.

not good for newbies :) .....like me!

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I hate these fucking piece O shit tar snake thingys! I hit one on the way to Joeys, sure gave me the pucker factor REALLY quick!

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Just watch out for some of the roads with as much tar snake as pavement or more. I know of a couple like this that you really DO need to pick your path or you'll be on so many snakes for so long that it's possible to go down.

The Duffy lake road a couple of years back was also patched by a runaway tar snake nutbar. Something like a half dozen bikes, a car and one police cruiser ended up in the rather large ditch bordering a certain large patch of this goo over the course of a month or so. The highway department was sued succesfully and replaced all the bikes.

But yeah, normally it's good to try a few so you don't freeze up like an iron bar.... or worse..... think you can't turn on them and run off the road for a lack of trying. Good topic :thumbup

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
i hit one last year coming back from whistler..the big downhill left hander before squamish, it was hot, i was going a little over the indicated speed limit ;-) and the bike slid like 1-2 ft sideways while i was leaning..freaked teh shiat out of me... but it was strangely fun too...!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
....Holy snappin arseholes batman,Who was the idiot that came up with those friggin plastic/rubber train crossings?? :( they are like ice when the're wet

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Am I the only one who likes riding on tar snakes? :confused

Maybe it's because I've "practiced" on them enough...but when it gets to over 25 degrees, I purposely go find those things. There's this road on the way to a friends house (near PNE, when you go under that tunnel) that has snakes all the way through the turns. I like to take that road (at a slower than average pace) and experiment with how my bike behaves in those circumstances.

I

·
0 Posts
i have to commute along king george hwy almost daily so i have gone on those things millions of times theres nothin to it :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
So who here has crashed due to losing traction over a tar snake? I can't stand how the municipalities & provincial governments spread that shit all over the place instead of precise application [at the very least] OR better yet ~ finding a better tech approach.

Here is my point. Yeah, I can see the cost vrs benefit of annually sealing up road cracks with the tar to maintain the road instead of letting it deteriorate and then repave. Where is the intelligence in spreading tar lines that are 6 to 10 inches wide? The latest trick they're doing here on the Island is laying down a beach full of sand over top of the tar snakes in a pathetic attempt to have it cure faster. One of my personal favorites. Not only do I have to contend with a shit load of fresh tar smattered all over the place, but now I get to rip down Long Beach at a buck twenty for Christs sake. Completely lame.

If I ever happend to lose traction because of this and total my bike, the department responsible for this practice better hope I'm dead.

BLUEBALLS:thumbup

1 - 20 of 48 Posts