BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
BBQ Squadron Member
2,739 Posts
Good Post Pete man.
Better to be well prepared than not. Sometimes it is unavoidable
in a turn, corner or roadway. Best to stay in control and not panic
with any sudden movements. Just be careful practicing.
:evil D()K :evilgrin

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
There's a section on the Duffy that's full of tar snakes--and they're slippery no matter what the temp. Nastiest I've seen.

·
Registered
936 Posts
One particularly bad stretch are the curves on the northbound lanes of Cambie St between 37th Ave to 33rd Ave.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GSP said:
There's a section on the Duffy that's full of tar snakes--and they're slippery no matter what the temp. Nastiest I've seen.
I've got a section I think is far worse. There's a long piece of road on the Gold River ride that is beyond belief. I don't care how much practice I have riding anywhere in the city over them, there is nothing that can prepare you to ride that section at the same pace as the rest of that road. It's nuts.

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
back in the early 90's my wife and i were coming back from squampton. it was a hot summer afternoon. hauling ass around the corner , we both at the same time lost our traction, both bikes slid out about a foot. neither of us dumped the bikes, but fok was it an eye opener..... good post Pete, hopefully others will become more aware of this lil gremlin , on the roads :thumbup

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
Like Rod, I hit one too coming home from Whistler last year. Kicked the back tire out another little bit while I was leaned in a turn. My eyes when wide, my heart damn near stopped, and when it was safe to do so, I pulled to the side of the road so that I could finish shaking. Just be smooth if/when you hit them.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
There are a whole whack of them around Stave Falls dam and I hit them every once in a while. A bit of step-out soon becomes nothing to fear.
Good topic, Pete!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Frig I hit one coming down Chilliwack mountain the other day, All most bought the farm..

Woke me up a bit that for sure.. I always knew to avoid them, but kinda never worried about them. After hitting one and feeling the ass of the bike slip around I will make a point to stay clear of those little bastards

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
I remember riding round a long right sweeper, with a snake that zigzaged from right to left all the way round. Add in a load of rain and P.O.S. D207 tyres and i was sliding all over the place .... Would have been better if someone had poured diesel over the road

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are everywhere in Prince George, I think it's turning into, " Hey I think I see a patch of Road underneath the tar anacondas "

·
Whach u talkn bout Willis
1,646 Posts
Just like riding on fresh painted cross walk or a cross walk in the rain :( but I wouldnt suggest practicing on a corner i almost ate it, luckly it was short so the tire caught after it slipped down and rode off the paint

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Bumpity Bump.

Thought I'd bring this back as a reminder to everyone and a warning to the newbies amongst us. Nearly managed to tuck my front end twice riding up 91 tonight past the truck stop. Those things are dangerous in the wet - be careful around em.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I ignored this thread the first few times around...but reading it now made me think of the opinion posted by someone here (I think I might have applied a "me too, me too," post) that those with dirt riding experience may have an easier time of acclimatizing to poorer road conditions, due to their experience with traction loss/gain/loss/gain/loss/gain.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts