BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a hypothetical for you:

You want to get a tattoo.

You can visit your local, reputable tattoo shop and spend $200 in a licensed, professional shop environment.

Or

You've got a friend who knows a guy who can give you a 'hook up' because he tattoos out of his kitchen and doesn't have the expensive overhead of working in a store. He did a riteous looking tattoo on your bro, and he paid a fraction of what the tattoo shop charges.

How would you spend your money?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
i would spend my money on beer.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Although there's a limit, I believe that getting something that permanent is not the time to start bargain hunting. A good tattoo artist who can draw and has the experience to get the proper amount of ink into just the right depth is invaluable.

I had a tattoo done that I designed and even provided a properly sized copy of the artwork to be traced onto myself. I still didn't want just anyone to do the final work and went to the Dutchman for a seemingly simple and mindless job.

·
Registered
202 Posts
kamen rider said:
Although there's a limit, I believe that getting something that permanent is not the time to start bargain hunting. A good tattoo artist who can draw and has the experience to get the proper amount of ink into just the right depth is invaluable.
I agree, but I would check out both their portfolios first. Just because they work in a shop does not mean they do good work and vice versa with the kitchen. It's a piece that will be on you for the rest of your life and that's something I wouldn't wanna go el cheapo and regret later on. Adam, I had a dream that you touched up my tat. for me last night. :rockon

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had someone tattoo me at my friends place. He had all proper gear, was/is a good artist. He now has his own shop. I did it more cause he was starting out, and I did pay a little less.

I had it redone about 5 times. Not because it was bad, but because I didn't like the design. I won't ever do that again.

I think the more important thing is that if you develop a relationship with your artist, and get more and more tattoos done, it's nice when they cut you breaks here and there.

Just for the record though, I usually tip the person about 25% or more on each tattoo. I really dislike paying taxes too.

S

·
0 Posts
The only deal I would ever want is if I became a loyal customer to a tattoo artist and they just started recognizing that with the occasional lower cost. I would never pay for a friend of a friend job.

·
Registered
202 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
I spent $300 on my last tattoo. It was for 3 hours of work, and has gotten 2 touch ups free of charge.
Only $300 AND you got 2 touch ups free?!? :surrender I went back to see if I could get a touch up and he said it would cost me! DAMN IT I wouldn't need a touch up if he didn't do a crap ass job the first time!! :firemad

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Are you offering hookups at your house?

No way on the basement amateur. I've had good and bad work done in studios, but going to a guy who's off the radar isn't an option.

20+years ago when I got my first I was in Winnipeg and parlors were illegal. There were underground spots, but they were beyond sketchy, and this was before aids, everyone was just worried about crabs and the clap. I got mine in Ottawa first time at a real spot that had a rep. Can't recall his name now.

·
huh?!??!
129 Posts
tigerass said:
I agree, but I would check out both their portfolios first. Just because they work in a shop does not mean they do good work and vice versa with the kitchen.
Ditto. I wouldn't shop around for a deal, but I would shop around to find out who's gonna do a good job for me. If someone sets up shop at home and still has all the proper equipment, has a good portfolio and good references, I'd be inclined to consider it...same type of research with I'd do with the shops.

samps said:
I think all touch ups should be free of charge, within maybe a 6 month to 1 year period.
When I had mine done, it was free touch ups for a year.

·
AKA Newfie Girl
2,321 Posts
I also believe this is an area where looking to save some bucks is a bad idea. The guy who has done my last tattoos tells me the price, I pay it. He also draws the shit up from my ideas, so its worth the cost. In the bathroom at his parlour is a picture that always makes me giggle: two guys with tattoos on their foreheads that say something like asshole or idiot and the caption says: "Don't piss off your tattoo artist."

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I have no problem paying full price for quality, sterile work. However, if I became an addict and started getting many tattoos by the same individual, eventually I would start to feel as though the artist could start knocking the price down a bit in consideration of all the business I have brought them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
How does the kitchen guy clean his neddles? Because i doubt hes got an autoclave under the kitchen sink. Quiality of the work isnt so much the deal as his porfolio will tell you how good he is, its the sterility of the needles.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great answers so far... keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'll add in something else.

Let's say someone who 'used' to work in a shop decided to go out on their own, and I've had work done by them, which I like. They know what they're doing.

Before getting an actual location/shop, they decided to work on some people from home, which means they aren't shelling out a portion to a shop.

Then yes, I would get work done by them.

Or let's say someone that I've had tattoo me is thinking about doing some work on the side from home. Yes to that too.

S

·
0 Posts
tigerass said:
Only $300 AND you got 2 touch ups free?!? :surrender I went back to see if I could get a touch up and he said it would cost me! DAMN IT I wouldn't need a touch up if he didn't do a crap ass job the first time!! :firemad
Go to Foxfire Tattoos! She is amazing. She drew up the design and blew away my expectations. I expected a cartoon style motorcycle and she drew something totally lifelike. Even got my gear on the bike, ie. Helmet and Jacket. More than kind to me and the two other customers I have brought to her.

I also have to say. Touch ups should be free of charge IMO. As long as it is just a blotch of ink that did not hold. I believe if you take proper care of your tattoo and it just needs a couple touch ups. So be it, I believe the artist will be happier if their tattoo comes out looking well. It is their art, and has their name on it. Why would they want it to look like junk? Artish is happy, customer is happy. :rockon

R

·
0 Posts
Personally, I would never get a tatoo...ever...but that's just me

If I had to, I'd MAKE SURE the artist was not gonna screw up. Research who they're working for...if they're credible...then I'd go with them. If it's a friend of a friend of a father's son's friend's cousin's grandmother's sister's son...I would still want to see what they've done before or what they can do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
Go to Foxfire Tattoos! She is amazing. Yes, it was only $300. She drew up the design and blew away my expectations. I expected a cartoon style motorcycle and she drew something totally lifelike. Even got my gear on the bike, ie. Helmet and Jacket. More than kind to me and the two other customers I have brought to her.

I also have to say. Touch ups should be free of charge IMO. As long as it is just a blotch of ink that did not hold. I believe if you take proper care of your tattoo and it just needs a couple touch ups. So be it, I believe the artist will be happier if their tattoo comes out looking well. It is their art, and has their name on it. Why would they want it to look like junk? Artish is happy, customer is happy. :rockon
I'll second this, Shannon did some work for me and I'm very happy with it.

I didn't need any touch ups. First time was done right.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts