BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my scooter has a magneto to charge the battery. there isnt enough amps to charge the battery and run a heated vest. i cant find a aftermarket magneto with higher out put of amps anyplace. is there any other way of getting more power from the magneto thats on it (stock) or any other way of doing this?? help!!|!

·
One more time eh?
1,026 Posts
G-slide said:
my scooter has a magneto to charge the battery. there isnt enough amps to charge the battery and run a heated vest. i cant find a aftermarket magneto with higher out put of amps anyplace. is there any other way of getting more power from the magneto thats on it (stock) or any other way of doing this?? help!!|!
How about taking the power from one of your two headlights? I think they are 35 watts a piece, might do it.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Get a better jacket. I recommend something like a 700-fill down vest with some sort of windproof shell over the whole shabang. Make sure they're all super large sizes so it fits over your leathers.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
To generate more current, you either need a bigger magnet, more coils around the magnetic field or have the things spin faster relative to each other

maybe try stronger magnet?

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im also thinkin about HID lights. its not the watts,. its the amps!!!!
any other bright suggestions?!

R

·
0 Posts
G-slide said:
watts and amps are directly related since voltage is constant...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Ratzilla said:
watts and amps are directly related since voltage is constant...
Well yes and no, in a perfect world yes, in the real world the voltage does vary and hence the watts and amps also. This can be most problematical at lower engine RPM’s and/or under higher electrical loads.

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
gurp... you should try getting a real bike.... barring that...you SOL unless you are prepared to somehow change the number of windings or the power of your magnet.

OR piggy back a secondary magneto somehow. all of witch are big jobs.

you can also add a battery with more power which will be able to abosorb some of the additional load for longer... but then you might have to plug in a trickle charger everynight... and maybe upgrade the wiring (doubtful)

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
I remember having a conversation with someone with one of the bike techs at BC Safety Council that has had coil rewindings done on bikes by a fellow in the Lower Mainland. He mentioned that adding more windings was a common practice for people that needed/wanted to put more electrics on their bikes.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
G-slide said:
Yeah I got a suggestion! Buy a sportbike! LOL :coffee Coz I miss riding with ya....I love you man! :)

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
slowzuki said:
Yeah I got a suggestion! Buy a sportbike! LOL :coffee Coz I miss riding with ya....I love you man! :)
Same to you Gurp!
Although, I have only ridden with you once, you probably don't remember, you're one crazy good rider!

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
As usual in this section, people type before the read the whole thing, and they don't think before they offer their wisdom.
Typical.
The problem isn't electrical at all.
The problem is the man is cold.
Why?
Internal heat is not enough.
Why?
Because the man ain't got no pulse because he's on a scooter without a turbo charger! Simple.
Nitrous or turbo, heart pounds, tires slide, exercise and adrenaline, and he's toasty warm.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
PRSmechanic said:
As usual in this section, people type before the read the whole thing, and they don't think before they offer their wisdom.
Typical.
The problem isn't electrical at all.
The problem is the man is cold.
Why?
Internal heat is not enough.
Why?
Because the man ain't got no pulse because he's on a scooter without a turbo charger! Simple.
Nitrous or turbo, heart pounds, tires slide, exercise and adrenaline, and he's toasty warm.
WHADD'YA MEAN IT'S NOT ELECTRICAL! ? ! ? OF COURSE IT IS! ! ! ! And a rewind of the charging coil would do the trick... Mind you by the time he has sucked enough power from that po' lil engine to light up his jacket there won't be enough to move his ass down the road fast enough to generate the wind chill that would require the heated jacket in the first place..... :evilgrin

1 - 20 of 66 Posts