BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my key in my Sportscooter on all night. Only the tail light was on. more than 24 hours i think. I plugged in a battery tender (dont know the amps), in for 2 days and the battery hasnt charged and the Sportscooter doesnt turn over.. but i can still kick start it. When its ideling the tail light doesnt even come on!! And after a 15 min ride at full throttle didnt even charge the battery what so ever. Did i kill the battery? Im going to try charging the battery with another type of charger rated at 1.5amps.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Take a volt meter to the battery when it on the charger ant then when it's off the charger. I assume it's a 12 volt battery in those lil things:). The volt meter should read just over 12V (12.3V to 12.9)off the charger . If it's only 12V or barely over 12V the battery is probably pooched.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I concur with the above.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
The tender probably just didn't bring it up to full charge. Likely the 1.5 amp'er will do the trick. If it doesn't then the battery was on it's last legs anyway. The typical on bike charging is notoriously weak so not seeing a big return after only 15 minutes does not surprise me at all.

I'm assuming that the scoot' uses a magneto for ignition so it's not dependent on the battery other than for lights and starter motor duty. If you toasted it then that would explain the lack of tail light.

Put on the proper charger for over night and then check the voltage with a meter without the switch on and then with it on so the tail light lights up. If the voltage won't stay up well past 11.5 with just a tail light or 11.0 with head and tail lights then the battery is toast.

Ditto on the checking the level if it's not a sealed unit. If it is then new battery time.

I just picked up a new one for the a dual sport I'm selling. $60 at Edmonds Battery.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
When Gurp last made an appearance at my house, this battery was not the happiest.

Get off your lazy butt and go buy a battery. :)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Hmmmm..... I'm not sure the term "rip" really applies in this case.... :evilgrin

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
5thgear said:
There $13.99
What Bill? You saying a battery for a Yamaha BW is $13.99?

·
One more time eh?
1,026 Posts
A battery tender will not work on a dead battery. there has to be some voltage in the battery for the tender to begin charging, You would have to start with an old school style charger that has a constant DC output for 5 or 10 min. then switch over to the Battery Tender. It will do a better job of properly charging your battery wihout over charging it.
If you don't have an older style charger, use some jumper cables to your car for a couple of minutes, just don't start the engine of the car.

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the old bws 2001-below are 13.99 the new ones run up to 70 bux.. and oh course it had to be the new scoot that the battery is toast on.
by it self it puts out 9.5v
on a battery tender 11.5v
on the 1.5amp it is doing 12.6v

what now?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Charge overnight and then see if the voltage holds up. But I have to warn you that on the charger if it's only 12.6 and doesn't come up to the high 13's after an hour or so then it's probably dead meat on a stick. It depends on when you measured it. Certainly the 9.5 means that it's flatter than pee on a plate to start with.

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SPORTscooter started up this morning without hesitation. The light was off on the charger, so i guess its ALIVE>> muahahahaha
The battery tender licks balls.
The SOLAR 1.5amp battery charger is the best w/auto shut off.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
G-slide said:
SPORTscooter started up this morning without hesitation. The light was off on the charger, so i guess its ALIVE>> muahahahaha
The battery tender licks balls.
The SOLAR 1.5amp battery charger is the best w/auto shut off.
licks balls eh? Hmmm, maybe your bat. tender and my wife should hang out and socialize a bit...exchange ideas and stuff...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I knew i shouldn't have got her to lick my balls after that 10 hour ride home a few years ago...fucked her up for life! HAHAHA!

I know, I know, I'm sick! HAHAHAHA!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts