BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather was miraculously clear and warm. A mix of sunny spots with a few cloudy times to cool things down. Given the threat of rain we lucked out bigtime. It did rain but only at the end of the day when I was helping clear hay bales and having a post race beverage prior to heading out. I don't care what it does all week now. I got a sunny day for my riding....:)

My second track day started off by relearning what I'd done the first day. The first session was just a "get comfy" run with no real attempt at serious speed. I started moving around on the bike better and noticing the other riders around me. The new V&H full system I'd put on just the day before sounded AWSOME even through my earplugs. Now I was on a real racing bike..... :D And that's another reason I was slow in the first session. I was having too much fun listening to the pipe... :laughing

The second session got me going at close to my pace from the end of the first day. I was braking harder and cornering more aggresively. In addition I was working harder at NOT braking going into turn 4. This is at the beginning of the back secion kink and if taken right can be coasted through about 3/4 of the way through 3rd gear and the serious braking held for the transition between 4 and 5 with 5 being a mid rpm 2nd gear corner. I'm still not able to just turn in but I got to where I was just feathering the brake to settle the chasis and engine braking to slow slightly. I wasn't happy with it but it's better to sneak up on these things n'est ce pas?

The third session saw my braking, cornering and general performance move up from what I'd left with after the first day. I was moving around better on the bike and hanging off more in the corners and generally being more consistent. Along with this came my first really good flowing turns through turn 4 with some serious braking needed before entering 5. Still room for improvement but it's getting there. Came in with my arms feeling the strain of the braking and generally pooped. Must be getting better if I'm pooped. Riding at a racing pace is NOT light work. More of a workOUT actually.

Session 4 saw further speed increases. My entry around turn 9 AKA the Carousel was better with more speed coming onto the straight. This meant more speed all the way. I'm now running really close to redline in 4th gear just as I hit my braking point. That's gotta be about 100 MILES per hour..... And considering this is running down into a mid rpm 2nd gear hairpin braking CAN be exciting.......if I wasn't in total control...... which I was..... :rolleyes Well, the bikes still in one piece so I must be doing SOMETHING right. Got some really good runs through that 4 to 5 transition which made me very happy. Still not consistent though. More practice to do. One of my fellow students on an R6 passed me with about 5 laps to go. I got on his tail and found he was able to show me a few things on a couple of corners but held me up on a couple of others when I would get back on his tail. On the straights the R6 showed my poor little F2 who was boss by about 8 or 9 bike lengths but I'd reel him in through the back section a bit only to see him pull out again on the straight.

Session 5 started out very nicely. I was in a pack that was moving along at a very nice pace and holding my own when a rider elsewhere on the track went down hard and redflagged the session. The ambulance came out but I was able to see the rider get up and walk around to lay himself down on the stretcher so he's allright but probably nursing a fair bit of hurt tonight. But that ended the session because if the delay.

There was quite the BCSB.com turnout. Kman, Jumby and myself were riding. Xyban and his buddy (sorry, I've forgotten your name) came over and said hello and drooled all over my bike in a fit of envy...... :D And DirtyBill was there as well. Seems he's buddies with Jumby.... what a small sportbike world it is. Bill told me all about his new Guzzi and his test rides on a few other ones. We waxed poetic about Italian bikes over lunch and then I got on my terribly dull and boring but infinetly more reliable F2 and tore up some more asphalt..... :D

It was a very satisfied and satiated BMatthews that drove home in the rain with his faithful steed tied firmly to the bed of his truck tonight.....

I think my next track foray will be Spokane at the end of June. Do you guys buy travel insurance for this days?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Airbrne said:
That mysterious buddy was me! Lindsey
Ah, yes. Sorry Lindsey. I was a little preoccupied today. Hope ya understand and don't hold it against me...

It was good to see you guys come out. Perhaps you can help to spread the word :thumbup

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
glad to hear you are doing well and the session was good....post some pictures of the bike with the full V&H, are you planning to race on any one of those 3 race days ?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No racing for me......yet anyways.

I'm gonna work a corner on the July 1 date to scope the novic classes out. And I'll be away on holidays for the other one.

·
space for sale
501 Posts
awesome bruce! we buy med insurance from bcaa for $3/day. Good deal for your health IMO. Your going to spokane end of june? Should be a good turnout. :thumbup

·
Registered
634 Posts
yeah a couple guys got to try out their isurance last time we went. Good thing they had it too.... I've heard some extremely scary stories regarding hospital bills in the states. like $10-15000US scary. I think you can get it through icbc too. someone mentioned they got it for like 10 bucks

-arai-

K

·
0 Posts
It was nice to meet you Bruce. It turned out to be a great track day. I was pretty worn out by lunch but I still alot of fun!:D

I must have drank at least 10L of water! Too bad we missed a session from that crash in the afternoon. I hope that guy is alright. From what I heard I think he broke is foot. The bike didn't look too bad considering he highsided.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, it was nice to put another face to a name. I hadn't heard about any possible injuries to that guy. Hope it wasn't too bad. Mind you people break the little bones in their feet all the time and it's not considered that important. He'll be limping for a few weeks though.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Great report Bruce, always a good read from you. I REALLY REALLY hope my tires come in before the Spokane date, or I may not go.. I've been waiting now for about 2 months. BLargh. :knife

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kinda tires are you waiting for?

I'm just running the basic 207's. Even with occasional peg dragging I haven't hit the limits of the tires yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts