BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Textile 2-Piece Suit Recommendations

11K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  Squisher 
#1 ·
I want to start researching an alternative to my Dainese 2-Piece leather suit. I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow down my options:

Fit - I want it fairly tight. I notice a lot of pants are baggy and that concerns me in a crash where the armor can move around
Protection - Good armor
Style - I want a short jacket, not the "below-the-waist" style you typically see
Water Resistant - Do I want/need Goretex?
Breathability - I want lots of it, as an option

#2 ·
Pretty much your only option that will have the abrasion resistance that you require are the offerings by Motoport: http://www.motoport.com/. Not particularly aesthetically pleasing imho, and have had varied reviews about fit and crash worthiness: https://advrider.com/f/threads/crashed-motorport-kevlar-mesh-pant-and-stretch-jacket.1338395/ and here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/motoport-gear-crash-tested-at-70-mph.507934/. There are however some favorable anecdotal reports that the fabric is very abrasion resistance in a crash, and that the comprehensive armor system has saved many injuries. I have looked into the system and have been hesitant to jump in due to the price, the possible poor fit, the significant heat that could be generated by textiles in a slide, and the very challenging ability of selling said suit at a later date given my particular stature. For a price not far from that bracket, I would personally go for a full set of Vanson leathers and an airbag vest. BIFL suit, enhanced active safety and neck bracing, and easily transferable and modular.

I think a bunch of dudes here have Motoports, perhaps they can chime in.

#3 ·
I have an Olympia textile jacket that I have been very happy with. The fit is as you describe wanting, waist length. It came with a zip in waterproof layer that actually will fit over the jacket instead of zipping in. Which I find much more convenient if you do require waterproofness. I'll look on the tag for the model if you'd like and try to snap a photo or two. Here is one I have on hand. I paired it with agv pants which I think are discontinued and I have not been very happy with, the quality is lacking in comparison to the Olympia jacket for material and fit and finish.*

View attachment 143926 *

Attachments

#9 ·
I'm really happy with my Dianese stuff. Nice shoulder, lower arm and knee/lower leg armour, I had a hard time finding other textile pants with armour.*

I got the D-air stuff that has a removable waterproof lining. But it's a band-aid, not suitable for extended wet weather riding. Ventilation is great without having mesh in impact areas.

#12 ·
You should check out Rubber Side Down in Richmond. While I've never tried his textiles, I'm very happy with the custom leather jacket he made me 4 years ago. You can get tailor made stuff for the same price or less than brand name and it's definitely worth checking out the website. Just call ahead before dropping by since it's a 1 man show and he won't be there all day long.

https://www.rubbersidedown.ca/

#14 ·
I’ve had two sets of Aerostitch, the 2 piece suits. Fantastic kit. Completely waterproof, even on the north coast. Not flashy, not sporty ..... functional to the nth degree. Good enough to take multiple dumplings when off road with no damage to me or the gear. Never crash tested on road.

The work kit is mesh textile. It’s Canadian made but I don’t know the manufacturer, I can check when I get back. It’s good quality, comfortable and only crash tested during yearly requals at low speeds ..... worked fine.

#20 ·
Textile jackets cover a huge range of specialized use, differing types of textile, differently prepared textiles, and differing layer position. just checked, I have 15 jackets alone, never mind the pants. Included in that are non textile jackets, 2 leather, and 1 waxed cotton.

One must think about different performance characteristics in the different type of textiles out there. I'm not going to cover Kevlar in this, unless it comes up, as I consider it a fabric unto it's own quite separate in performance levels to all the textiles.

Right off the bat, you need to understand the 1st distinction in a waterproof jacket, whether the waterproof barrier is an inside liner or the outside main textile. I've got lots of both types. If you've ever walked into a hotel room or home, and your jacket weight 20 pounds more in water, and creates a puddle under where it's hanging, you know that's a jacket with the waterproof aspect on the inside. You will find you will have to pull over to the side of the road to put in the liner [riding into a rain storm] and in turn pulling it out [riding down from a cool pass into a hot valley] . Outside layer waterproof aspect is by far superior in basic design.

Types of textile treatment make a big difference in performance, crash capability, and ability. Polyurethane coated nylon is by far the least expensive, and if you fall and skid, IS the one which will melt, and melt into your skin from abrasion heat. Non polyurethane coated textile, almost always Goretex brand Cordura, will prevent this. Unfortunately, this means you'll mostly have to put up with fiddling around with waterproof liner on a tour.

Color. Another thing to think about. Just like helmets, a black jacket will heat up way more in the sunshine of summer. And quickly cool off in the shade. But a lighter color will show dead bug guts in the front, rear chain oil spray on your back, which won't wash out.

Armour. lower cost jackets will have armour less willing to form to you, causing pressure points that will drive you nuts. Study armour types.

Ryan @ Fortine has just done a video basically testing the different textile fabric out there, although not all, and rating them. Quite informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCdQfbLw7o

What do I use right now? BMW has chosen to make their own fabric [typical Germans] probably to avoid the huge copyright agreement costs of Gortex. It's made by Sholler, a kind of Gortex/Kevlar hybrid, on 2 of their jackets, BMW Streetguard, BMW Streetguard Long, and BMW Enduroguard, which offers the durability of equivalent 1000 denier Gortex, and the ability to make a jacket with the waterproof aspect outside layer #1. I've owned the Streetguard for 12 years now, and only just a couple years ago it began to lose it's waterproof capabilities. And i've gained some weight and it's gotten a bit tight in the belly, lolol. Last spring after deciding it's comfort, venting, etc was the best I've ever had [including a 70km/hr 'off' skidding along my right shoulder and elbow with no rips or wear through's] meant i was going to go with a new Streetguard Long [longer cut on the back preventing cold air going up the back on a sportbike]. The new Enduroguard caught my eye, bought it instead. After a year of ownership, I regret not sticking with the Streetguard. The Enduroguard, much like my Motoport Ultra 1000, I'm sure I'd easily survive a grizzly attack if wearing the thing. That's perhaps it's biggest issue, it's just TOO heavy duty. My buddy has an Aerostitch Roadcrafter, and he says this kind of beast needs a couple seasons to break in. Plus i miss the soft leather neck liner of the Streetguard, the easy to open when riding zippered lower arm/wrist flaps which work as the most incredible air scoops during hot weather, the fantastic venting in front, high quality mouldable armour, yeah, the Streetguard is 'it' even now.

#25 ·
Thanks Steve, I personally think a waterproof layer inside the jacket is completely retarded. I find a $100 rain jacket over my leathers from Scott or Rev'IT is perfect. packs up to the size of 1/2lb coffee and weighs nothing.
I agree, the inner "waterproof"*lining on the Dianese stuff I have is a great wind block but only good for light rain in an emergency. Those cool mornings that chill you at highway speed but warm up are the ideal use case.*

I lament the loss of serious textile Belstaff gear, I started with that and it was great stuff.*

#26 ·
I don't understand why you guys don't just get a proper Goretex jacket that is typically used in the backpacking/hiking realm and fit it over your leathers? If you need something packable, get one of the lightweight waterproof over-jackets that CDG mentioned.

#28 · (Edited)
Wanted to give you guys a heads up. Found a smoking deal on some IXS gear on Iron Pony.

Specifically, this: IXS Nemoy Textile Jacket. NOS top of the line jacket, Gore-tex liner, insulating liner, euro fit, sas-tec level 2 back protector, vents galore, crazy cheap. This model is known as the 'Nimrod' in Europe, better views of the jacket can be found here: https://www.xlmoto.eu/ixs-gtx-nimrod-gtx-haran-motorcycle-apparel-short-leg-gray-black

Smoking deals on their pants as well: https://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pl.asp/c3/Textile-Pants/c2/Pants-and-Chaps/c1/Street-Products/Brand/IXS

Size Chart: https://moto.ixs.com/en/size-chart

Anyways, wanted to share for those who may be interested in some high quality textile gear, looks like they still have many sizes in stock.

#33 ·
#34 · (Edited)
Today i spent time at Pacific Motorsports, Ducati Richmond, Daytona in Surrey, Holeshot in Langely, and Open Road Langley. The end result of looking at everything under the sun, was that I ended up going with my first choice the Klim Latitude.
Looking forward to not needing to bring my rain gear any more, better ventilation during the hot days, and much lighter weight than my leather gear. Although leather will still get worn on 'extra spirited' group days.

Jacket Clothing Sportswear Outerwear Sleeve

View attachment 143948

#36 ·
Today i spent time at Pacific Motorsports, Ducati Richmond, Daytona in Surrey, Holeshot in Langely, and Open Road Langley. The end result of looking at everything under the sun, was that I ended up going with my first choice the Klim Latitude.
Looking forward to not needing to bring my rain gear any more, better ventilation during the hot days, and much lighter weight than my leather gear. Although leather will still get worn on 'extra spirited' group days.

View attachment 143950
View attachment 143948
Nice choice. May I ask why you decided on the Latitude versus something like the Apex? What other jackets did you consider and why did the Klim stand out for you?

#39 ·
Sweet mother of pearl!!!!! For the jacket and pants that's $1600!!!!!!! Holy red cherry popsicles, that's a lot of cheddar!!!

#44 ·
If you ever slide down the road you will be rolling the dice entirely and I highly doubt you'll be calculating what you spent on gear/protection. *But good high quality gear is nice to have/wear. I just don't follow the 'it's gonna save your ass x dollars better' than a cheaper brand.

#45 ·
So now that i've had my Klim Latitude gear for awhile, it's time to do an update/review

the Pros
-Great fit (very subjective)
-Very comfortable for long days, on and off the bike. Lunch has never been more comfortable.
-The right amount of pockets, and the external ones are waterproof.
-A Hidden pocket to keep documents or cash safe, which would be great for traveling in less desirable locales.
-Vents that i can easily open, close, or adjust while riding. Seriously this is amazing. Whether its the chest vents that flow huge amount of air, or the leg vents on the back of my legs, I can easily find and adjust how much air flow i get. Saturday I rode to Winthrop, and being able to quickly adjust temps as I rode through Rainy Pass and Washington pass made a huge difference to my comfort.
-Jacket and Pant adjusters mean it doesn't flap in the wind, even on a naked bike like my Tuono.
-Gore-tex guaranteed to keep you drive. Although I haven't really put this to test, there are lots of ADV Rider threads to back them up on this claim.

the Cons
-The pants are fit very narrow in the hips, which although great for riding, but can be difficult for taking them on or off.
-I wish the jacket cuffs expanded a bit more, they barely fit over my full gauntlet gloves.
-The included crash protection is only CE1, where Europe gets CE2.
-There are no pockets for chest protection.
-The jacket to pant zipper is not a 360 zip, and it's placement makes zipping the two pieces together needlessly difficult.
-The rise of the pants is a bit off for me, so i need to pull them up a bit when i get on my bike.

How do i feel about the gear purchase

I'm really happy with the decision, and feel it's lived up to my expectations. It definitely wasn't cheap, but when i was looking at what i spent for leather gear, plus rain gear, this wasn't that much more, and now i get to pack less.

Although I don't have the sense of security and safety of riding in full leather, I still feel safe and protected. Perhaps i'm actually safer without the false sense of safety.....

The increase in all day comfort is substantial for me, and I think this will definitely contribute to overall health and happiness on long rides.

I will still use my leather gear on rides that I suspect will be higher than normal in pace, or in roads that may be higher risk. But the Latitude is my default riding gear now.

If Klim does an updated version of the Apex, with a more modern fit and protection, that will likely also make it in to my wardrobe, and likely replace my all leather gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.